Multi prospective tenants at same time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi prospective tenants at same time

This happened to me once before and again today. I am sitting here minding my own business when two prospective tenants show at the same time. I ask if I can show the units to them at the same time and we all ride together in the golf cart. I get back to the office and sure enough there are two more prospective tenants waiting to be let in the office. I ask the first two if they can wait while I show the new pair some units. It is a nice day so they agreed. I come back and open the office and pile them all in. It was three separate people and a couple. I have a large front counter so I set out leases and info sheets for two at the counter and I have two waiting room chairs and I set up the other two in the chairs with pens and clip boards. I prep all the separate leases and paperwork and start my script for going thru the lease. I get them all thru the lease process and then it is my turn to enter just enough info for each of them to create the tenant info and take their separate monies. It took me 1.5 total hours for all this process but I got it all handled and they all seemed to have a good time because I was cracking wise thru the whole process. I accused them all of having drinks at the Mexican Restaurant around the corner and staging this whole thing. I was just lucky to have the sizes they needed because everything I have that is 10x10 or bigger is full.

Once or twice-though not quite that many people. Self storage is so funny-super quiet or periods of busy busy busy!
    "The comeback is always stronger than the setback."
    Mom, Navy Vet, genealogist and voracious reader
    WA state

Comment

If I had multiple customers at the same time I could also offer that they are able to rent on their mobile device or the kiosk in the lobby if they didn't want to wait. No golf cart on my property though. We just walk out to their unit when I do in person rentals, or drive in our separate vehicles if they prefer.

I have had very few in person rentals in the past year though. Almost entirely phone, web or kiosk. In some locations there might be some concerns about not being able to screen tenants with automated methods but it has worked out very well in my rural midwest location.

Comment

That makes the day go by! Most I've done at once is 7. Most rentals in a day is 21. Would not be fun to do that during Covid tho...

Comment

Originally posted by sailorsmom3 View Post
          That makes the day go by! Most I've done at once is 7. Most rentals in a day is 21. Would not be fun to do that during Covid tho...
          Wow 21 in a day.
          The most I ever did in a day was 6 before lunch.
          Joe Krezdorn
          DAK Self Storage
          Leesport, PA 19533
          www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

I think tops for me were 11 in one day, and maybe at the most 3 at one time, now I am 100% so now it is one at a time. I have so many cameras, I set the customers up in my office, then take the others out to look, They like to be trusted to sit in office, have a cup of coffee, and wait for me to get back. (I keep my money in a safe in backroom, but doubt anyone I left in here would do anything as again they are on camera! )

Comment

Some idiots just don't care about whether a camera is on them or not....they are the "Entitled Masses".

No matter who says differently, that is the first time I have ever uttered that phrase.

Comment

Is is indeed strange how stuff like that happens every once in a while. Many years ago I was about to leave the office for the day when I literally had 6 consecutive, unrelated walk-in rentals in a row come in. Whaaa??? You can't make this stuff up.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                  This happened to me once before and again today. I am sitting here minding my own business when two prospective tenants show at the same time. I ask if I can show the units to them at the same time and we all ride together in the golf cart. I get back to the office and sure enough there are two more prospective tenants waiting to be let in the office. I ask the first two if they can wait while I show the new pair some units. It is a nice day so they agreed. I come back and open the office and pile them all in. It was three separate people and a couple. I have a large front counter so I set out leases and info sheets for two at the counter and I have two waiting room chairs and I set up the other two in the chairs with pens and clip boards. I prep all the separate leases and paperwork and start my script for going thru the lease. I get them all thru the lease process and then it is my turn to enter just enough info for each of them to create the tenant info and take their separate monies. It took me 1.5 total hours for all this process but I got it all handled and they all seemed to have a good time because I was cracking wise thru the whole process. I accused them all of having drinks at the Mexican Restaurant around the corner and staging this whole thing. I was just lucky to have the sizes they needed because everything I have that is 10x10 or bigger is full.
                  I've had that happen too. It's like at a restaurant - you pull in and no one is there but everyone driving by sees a car and has to come see about the food. CONGRATS on your four rentals!
                  Throw kindness around like Confetti - But don't get glitter in your eyes!

Comment

The most I've ever had in one day was 12 units. But, it was easy - I had just sold 14 units at auction and they had another auction to get to and no time to empty the units that day......AND we were offering first month free - it said so on all of the signs. So 12 admin fees, of course they all brought their own locks, and 12 insurances. Ahhhhhh the good old days with in person auctions - HOWEVER I didn't like cleaning up all of the cigarette butts and coffee and soda containers....so there's that.
                    Throw kindness around like Confetti - But don't get glitter in your eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by Tall Terri View Post
                      The most I've ever had in one day was 12 units. But, it was easy - I had just sold 14 units at auction and they had another auction to get to and no time to empty the units that day......AND we were offering first month free - it said so on all of the signs. So 12 admin fees, of course they all brought their own locks, and 12 insurances. Ahhhhhh the good old days with in person auctions - HOWEVER I didn't like cleaning up all of the cigarette butts and coffee and soda containers....so there's that.
                      I am a hawk when it comes to the cigarette butts!
                      I will tell my tenants that if I catch them one more time, they will be evicted.
                      I don't play!
                      Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Originally posted by lady5563 View Post

I am a hawk when it comes to the cigarette butts!
                        I will tell my tenants that if I catch them one more time, they will be evicted.
                        I don't play!
                        Oh you would have had an aneurism here one day a few years back when I found literally a whole ash tray worth of cigarette butts on the ground near a unit!

Comment

Originally posted by RMRSS View Post

Oh you would have had an aneurism here one day a few years back when I found literally a whole ash tray worth of cigarette butts on the ground near a unit!
                          Ugh
                          I would have went straight to the cameras!
                          In fact, I have gone to the cameras.
                          I have called and the call went something like...................

Me: Hi, is this so and so?
                          Him: Yes, it is so and so.
                          Me: Hi it's Penny from the storage. I do have a question and I hope you will be 100% honest with me. Do you smoke cigarettes? Do you smoke this certain brand of cigarettes? Do you smoke your cigarettes on the property? Was that you on my high definition security camera I see dumping a whole ashtray of cigarette butts and ashes near your unit on this day and date of the month"
                          Him: Uh....Uh.....Uh......Yes it was me.
                          Me: Thank you so much for your honesty, Please make a plan to come by your storage unit as I have picked up your cigarette butts and placed them in a trash bag and left them right near your door and they are ready for you to come by and pick them up please. Oh and sir, please, do not do that again. Okay? Thank you so much! Have a great day!

Comment

Originally posted by lady5563 View Post

Ugh
                            I would have went straight to the cameras!
                            In fact, I have gone to the cameras.
                            I have called and the call went something like...................

Me: Hi, is this so and so?
                            Him: Yes, it is so and so.
                            Me: Hi it's Penny from the storage. I do have a question and I hope you will be 100% honest with me. Do you smoke cigarettes? Do you smoke this certain brand of cigarettes? Do you smoke your cigarettes on the property? Was that you on my high definition security camera I see dumping a whole ashtray of cigarette butts and ashes near your unit on this day and date of the month"
                            Him: Uh....Uh.....Uh......Yes it was me.
                            Me: Thank you so much for your honesty, Please make a plan to come by your storage unit as I have picked up your cigarette butts and placed them in a trash bag and left them right near your door and they are ready for you to come by and pick them up please. Oh and sir, please, do not do that again. Okay? Thank you so much! Have a great day!
                            I honestly can't remember how I handled that specific case, but I'm sure I did make a phone call! The sense of entitlement is strong with many tenants, for sure. Just last week I discovered a small open trailer just sitting outside one of our climate buildings. I found the footage of the tenant leaving it there, so I called him and told him I believed he left a trailer on our property. "Yeah, I had a customer call me and couldn't bring it with me. I'm going to pick it up today." I reminded him that he is not allowed to leave anything outside of his unit without approval so to be sure not to do this in the future. His response? Did he apologize or assure me he wouldn't do that again? Nope. All he says (in a "yeah whatever" kind of tone) is, "Thank you, buddy!" and hangs up.

I seriously need a punching bag in this office!

Comment

Originally posted by RMRSS View Post

I honestly can't remember how I handled that specific case, but I'm sure I did make a phone call! The sense of entitlement is strong with many tenants, for sure. Just last week I discovered a small open trailer just sitting outside one of our climate buildings. I found the footage of the tenant leaving it there, so I called him and told him I believed he left a trailer on our property. "Yeah, I had a customer call me and couldn't bring it with me. I'm going to pick it up today." I reminded him that he is not allowed to leave anything outside of his unit without approval so to be sure not to do this in the future. His response? Did he apologize or assure me he wouldn't do that again? Nope. All he says (in a "yeah whatever" kind of tone) is, "Thank you, buddy!" and hangs up.

I seriously need a punching bag in this office!
                              Oh my gosh! Aren't some people just awful!?
                              My tenants know that I do NOT play around!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X