Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longer Term Reservations

Hello,

Our facility is heavily seasonal summer months are busiest (boat storage).

And I am not sure of a clean way to deal with reservations... people contact us in March to reserve a unit/move-in date in May.

I looked at a couple threads here and it appears that no one really holds reservations past a week or a few days?

In the past we have just "started the clock" the day of the reservation and have them move in later. But that seems excessive and it also penalizes (in a way) the people who are diligent and contact us early.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

When I say "hold a reservation" I am meaning for a specific person that's already been contacted for that unit. I will place a reservation and keep it until that unit becomes available for that person, though. Say Mr. Smith calls me in January and needs a 10X20CC and I don't have one but he isn't in a rush, I will most definitely call him when it comes vacant. Now, say Mr. Smith is called when that unit is vacant, but he's not willing to come in that day or even within 24 hours of me contacting him, I'm going to the next person in line for that unit or walk-in since he was clearly told there are several others waiting for this unit and I can only hold it for him until the end of the day.

Comment

At the RV storage I was at for 13 years, That is the problem I would have... I would only hold the reservation a month, and I would have them pay one month and admin fee at that time, And they signed paperwork that they understood that if they didn't move in the next month, I kept the deposit, as I told them that way I don't lose a month holding it as someone else would have rented it... If they moved in before that 30 days that money would apply to the first month. This way you don't lose that month, if they back out. I had figured out what I lost by holding reservations, was not good. If they pay the full month ahead you pretty much know they SHOULD really take the space. I always told them, no longer than 30 day hold, With Storage units I always say cant hold them, first come first serve if I am at about 100% . As it is kind of different with boat and or RV storage, they really have to have plans on where they are placing these items, so a little different than storage!
      Last edited by SBAZ; 24 March 2021, 12:48 PM.

Comment

I was in the Palm Springs area, so we were super busy in the fall and winter and dead in the summer. However, I had people that wanted to be sure we had the parking for them each year, so they rented year-round even though it was empty half the year!

I would go ahead and do those extended reservations for regular yearly customers with the understanding that if they don't show up THAT DAY to rent, it goes to the next person on the waiting list.
        MamaDuke

Comment

I will hold a reserved unit for 2 weeks only!
          They can choose to rent and take ownership of said unit, if after 2 weeks of my holding it that they are still "not ready"
          2 weeks max!

I just had a tenant vacate a 10x20.
          He said after he moved out that if i have a 10x20 in Oct 2021 he will be happy to come back.
          So I created a lead for him and his desired move in date is Sept 15th.
          On Sept. 15, 2021 I will open his lead and see if I have an available 10x20 for him to move in on Oct 1st.
          If I have a vacant 10x20 on Sept 15 I will hold that unit for only 2 weeks!

First come, first served!
          I do not recommend you holding anything for more than 2 weeks!
          Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

We don't do long term reservations here, but we do encourage people to rent early if we are coming up on our busy season. Might be worth it to run some type of "special" where they can pay 70% of the cost for the couple months you're holding it and then have it go to the regular rate the month they need? Just a thought.

One of the issues we sometimes run into with people wanting to reserve long term is they will keep calling in at the end of their reservation and want to pay for another week and they might do that for 3-4 weeks and it ends up being less than renting the space for that month. I'd rather get someone in there ASAP than to keep putting it off. Thinking we might have to charge more to reserve the larger spaces.
            Last edited by SimplySpace; 24 March 2021, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Don't sell yourself short!

Those people can either chose to pay NOW or they get no space!

They can not get it both way's!

Comment

I do NO reservations. Tried and got burned too many times about 4 years ago. You want to guarantee you have the unit when you want it, you pay for that privilege. I have prospective new tenants do that all the time. This facility is very desirable because of the location.

I would do outside or RV/boat storage the same way. You want it, you pay now. My job is to rent space, not hold it.

Comment

No reservations here either, and I don't hold units. If they want a unit on in two weeks, and I have one available, they rent it today or risk losing it. I do waiting lists, but also explain that they have a short window of time to respond, or risk losing it to the next in line.

I am fortunate to be in a rapidly developing residential area, so the demand is high.

edit: We don't have RV or boat spaces, but if I did, I would only do yearly rentals when they were available.
                  Last edited by SteveMac; 24 March 2021, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveMac View Post
                    No reservations here either, and I don't hold units. If they want a unit on in two weeks, and I have one available, they rent it today or risk losing it. I do waiting lists, but also explain that they have a short window of time to respond, or risk losing it to the next in line.

I am fortunate to be in a rapidly developing residential area, so the demand is high.

edit: We don't have RV or boat spaces, but if I did, I would only do yearly rentals when they were available.
                    Same: I have a waiting list and when I call them that a unit is open and get the voice mail, I give them a cut off time to respond back or I move to next name on the lease.

I have actually rented a unit to prospective tenants, that are on the fence about when to rent the unit, by telling them to call me first before coming back so they don't waste a trip if unit has already been rented, LIKE I WARNED THEM ABOUT.

Taking them on a golf cart ride to show them a unit is fun because they get to see locks on most if not all the units that I drive by. I tell them that we stay pretty much full all the time, to put the bug in their ear.

Comment

First come (with money), first served! NO reservations here. (I do have a waiting list)

Comment

2 weeks max reservation for me and I think that is generous. I get a lot of people doing winter storage for boats and cars, and summer those same units end up getting rented for people moving between homes. In the fall when those big units open up and will sometimes call my repeat car storage customers, but generally they all fill up on their own.

Comment

I hold a unit for 7 days. They either rent the unit within that time or they risk losing it to someone else. Anything farther out than that, they either rent it now knowing they are paying for something they aren't even using yet, or they take their chances that something else will be available when they're ready.
                          Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

I would prefer 7 days and not the 2 weeks the home office has set.

Comment

I will hold a unit till the end of the business day, that is it. We do also maintain a waiting list.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X