Food in units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food in units

Why on earth do people store food!!?? I mailed out some lien notices earlier this week, and one of the tenants who was sent one had food in her unit. When I cut the lock to take photos is when I discovered it...a large plastic shopping-style bag with food in it. I took several photos of the unit with the bag inside. I then set the bag outside the unit and took several more photos, including the contents of the bag; 2 boxes of raisin bran cereal, several cups/pkgs of ramen soup/noodles, & a large box of tea bags. All of it chewed through; all of it empty. I threw it all away. I highly doubt this person will be in to pay on her unit. She's been late every month that she's been here and every time she paid, she'd comment that she would be out before the next rent was due. I do have a question, though. If she pays, her lease will be terminated because she violated it by storing food. Should/do I still give her 30 days to vacate like I would anyone else? Or because of the food issue she has less time ( like, you've got 24 hours to get your crap out of here) to vacate? I've never terminated a lease for food; I've only ever discovered it after someone has vacated and left trash behind.
    Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

When/if she comes in, hand her a non-renewal. Depending on your state, set it for however many days and be done with it.

Comment

Review your state laws and get her out asap.

Comment

Of all the possible violations of our lease, storing food is right up there with sleeping in the unit! Zero tolerance...send her a non-renewal notice and get her out as soon as possible.

Comment

I swear most renters are better off going to the dump to get rid of this "stuff." Then again, I'm happy to take their money each month!

Comment

Double check your lien laws for your state, but for sure start with a non renewal if she pays.

Comment

Depending on your state laws, you may be able to do a 3-day or 7-day for Health & Safety reasons. Obviously, the reason for not having food in the units is to not provide a food source to vermin or insects. If you give the tenant the letter, mention (or copy) the lease wording and copy the state law in that letter, including paragraph location (XYZ State Statute 1234.1.2). You can hand them the letter, but I would mail proof of mailing using a firm book or other proof of mailing to the address on the account - again, follow your state laws. I would also set traps, since you also seem to have visitors.

Comment

I think I'm going to put a couple rodent baits in there, or a trap or two. At least for now until the unit is emptied. Everything I can see in that unit belongs in the dump. She hasn't been to the unit since early January and it looks like she took what she wanted and left the trash.
                Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

Due to hazards and risks created by this now documented problem, it would probably always be grounds for immediate inspection of any unit (paid up or not), and immediate removal of any other food or nesting material. And this would likely be grounds for rapid lease termination and abandonment/disposal. You should put bait in professional boxes outside the units to draw the pests out. They likely went to other units already. Our external bait stations (via Terminix) have been performing well despite having woods on nearly all sides.
                  Voted Best Self-Storage Facility in the Branson Missouri - Tri-Lakes Area!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X