Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, if you have a 'conservator' and they place their 'client's stuff in self storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, if you have a 'conservator' and they place their 'client's stuff in self storage

It's usually legit, they'll have a POA etc. and are working with their elderly client to move them into a retirement home or hospice. (most have no families, but some are out of state) If at all possible I make sure it's the conservators name/com and list the client as alt. Has anyone dealt with this? What happens if the tenant dies?
    One of mine is the nephew who is also a lawyer and he's on top of stuff, his uncle died and he's letting the stiff stay here til the cousins can get together (covid, seriously). There are variations on this theme, can anyone else chime in to see how you do this?
    "The comeback is always stronger than the setback."
    Mom, Navy Vet, genealogist and voracious reader
    WA state

Because the conservator is the tenant, they are responsible to pay or clear out regardless if their client has died.
    MamaDuke

Comment

Originally posted by MamaDuke View Post
      Because the conservator is the tenant, they are responsible to pay or clear out regardless if their client has died.
      Which is why I ask them to be the 'tenant'. I am worried also about fraud.
      "The comeback is always stronger than the setback."
      Mom, Navy Vet, genealogist and voracious reader
      WA state

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinWA View Post

Which is why I ask them to be the 'tenant'. I am worried also about fraud.
        Just do your best and trust your gut, you're not an attorney.

Or, better yet, pawn these situations off on the owner or the company attorney to handle is a better solution. After all, that's why they get the big bucks. The owners would turn on you in a heartbeat if you did something, even innocently and believing you had made the right call, if that call caused them to face a lawsuit.

Gina 6k
        twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
        VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
        [email protected]

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
        I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

Comment

If someone comes in to rent a unit, regardless if they are the Conservator or not, I have them put their name on the lease. I only have ONE person on the the lease, NEVER two. So with that, they are responsible for payment and everything regardless if the person they are helping dies. If they refuse to be put their name on the lease I do not rent to them. Hope this helps.
          "A Dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself".

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X