Clear All

• Tenant Points Gun at Manager

Read what happened. What would you do?
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

That could have ended very badly for the tenant, pointing a BB gun at someone who may be carrying the real thing...

Not going to say here what I would do, because the situation would determine most of it, but the very least thing that would happen is eviction. Further than that, again the situation would determine and I hope I am never pushed into that choice.

Comment

BB guns many times look like the real thing. He could have been 'dead wrong' if he'd pointed that at the wrong manager. Can you imagine if some schmuck pointed a bb gun at Pac? Wouldn't have gone well.
      "The comeback is always stronger than the setback."
      Mom, Navy Vet, genealogist and voracious reader
      Always sunny in California

Comment

PAC would like to respond to the post !!

Comment

Shooting the tenant isn't really the solution I was seeking here.
          Amy Campbell
          Editor
          Inside Self-Storage
          [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

The manager did the right thing, kept her head and got images for the police. She did everything right. Would I be that cool under the same circumstances? I have training in the military and as military police-I've had knives drawn on me but no gun, but I hope so.

Comment

If someone draws a weapon on me I will defend myself. Deadly force? Only as a last resort. Oh how I wish Pac was here it would be a more colorful thread. I miss the old coot. My level headed response is to extricate myself and call the police. The tenant would definitely be evicted.

Comment

First I'd never open a unit without a camera and another witness with me. Simple thing, happen across an unlocked unit, slap a lock on it and keep walking. The things I've seen and found over three plus decades in this industry taught me early on to never open a door by myself.

If she had just tossed a company lock on the unit, the gun (BB) wouldn't have even been an issue. And think of the interesting chain of events when Mr. Secretive tried to open his door and leave. I've always instructed tenants that they can not close the door when they're in the unit. Obviously sometimes weather conditions prompt people to lower the doors, but I always advised them to leave the door 1/3 open so we know they're in there.
                Gina 6k
                twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
                VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
                [email protected]

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
                I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

Comment

Originally posted by Gina6k View Post
                  First I'd never open a unit without a camera and another witness with me. Simple thing, happen across an unlocked unit, slap a lock on it and keep walking. The things I've seen and found over three plus decades in this industry taught me early on to never open a door by myself.

If she had just tossed a company lock on the unit, the gun (BB) wouldn't have even been an issue. And think of the interesting chain of events when Mr. Secretive tried to open his door and leave. I've always instructed tenants that they can not close the door when they're in the unit. Obviously sometimes weather conditions prompt people to lower the doors, but I always advised them to leave the door 1/3 open so we know they're in there.
                  A lot of managers are by themselves, including me-most of the time. I have to do the rounds by myself and I wouldn't even think twice about lifting an unlocked door to check if it's empty or whatever.

Comment

Its not about what I would do. Its about Company Policy and training when your Public Storage, a national firm.

Part of my background was a Kaizen Process Improvement manager. When my son was in daycare, while waiting for him, I noticed on the same position in each room next to the door was a colored, covered instruction sheet. It had different situations listed and actions, example:

Fire- evacuate to predetermined area by room, call 911, do headcount/roll call,
                    Missing Child- lock down building, initiate immediate search room by room and outside, after xx minutes, call 911.
                    Tornado-
                    Unconscious child-
                    etc. etc. About 25 different scenarios.

With the turnover, multiple shifts/crews, training/lack of training, lack of situational awareness or actions; This sheet in every room was a definitive go to action plan. Thought this was the greatest tool.

The article, yes was eye catching, but the real story should have been about the process and learning moment, which is boring. As a Company, you only want to learn "Once" from a mistake, not over and over again. Plus, you want to take that learning moment and expand it to similar scenarios, versus having to "Learn" by mistake on each potential scenario.

The story above as an example, instructions:

Weapon on premises- extricate yourself from potential bodily harm, do not try to confront the individual, lock yourself in the office, call 911, if needed evacuate all customers from the premises, lock down the gate (?), After incident: Call operations management (xxx-xxx-xxxx) ;capture camera screen shots and provide to Police and a copy to corporate legal department (xxx-xxx-xxxx); fill out incident report and send to Operations department (xxx-xxx-xxxx).

Comment

Great advice Clarkstoragellc
                      Amy Campbell
                      Editor
                      Inside Self-Storage
                      [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

I would have to go home early to take a shower and change my clothes!
                        If ya know what I mean!
                        Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Every state has different laws regarding firearms but up here in Alaska we are able to defend ourselves and if it happened me, that guy would not have had the opportunity to threaten anyone ever again

Comment

Even though my husband is the one that does the daily lock check if I were to see a unit without a lock I would have no reservations opening the door and checking to see if it had been vacated. I would never think that someone would be in there and if I opened it there would be someone pointing a gun at me. I would hope that I would close the door and leave just like that manager did and I might think to put a lock on it and call 911. I wouldn't want them to leave without talking with the police.

If someone points a firearm at someone, even if it is a BB gun, the consequences could be dire.

The future depends on what you do in the present.

Comment

Originally posted by Iamkathleenj View Post
                              Even though my husband is the one that does the daily lock check if I were to see a unit without a lock I would have no reservations opening the door and checking to see if it had been vacated. I would never think that someone would be in there and if I opened it there would be someone pointing a gun at me. I would hope that I would close the door and leave just like that manager did and I might think to put a lock on it and call 911. I wouldn't want them to leave without talking with the police.

If someone points a firearm at someone, even if it is a BB gun, the consequences could be dire.

That is our protocol, as well. If we find a unit w/o a lock or "locked open" we open it and take pics of it, close it and contact the tenant if no paperwork is on file regarding vacating. In our minds, we are simply doing our day-to-day jobs and think this is just another daily task.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X