Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

California operators, is it happening...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California operators, is it happening...?

9 move outs scheduled for the end of the month, 8 move outs last month and only 2 move ins over the same period. I will still be over 90% occupied, but I've been spoiled with 97-100 for a very long time.

I know that many people I talk to outside of storage have plans to leave the bay area ASAP, but my business didn't bear that out. Now I'm wondering if the signs are beginning to show.

If you're in CA, what are you seeing?
    In no way affiliated with Storman software.

No I am in AZ, but I know we have a lot of people that are moving here from Cali, But here I am seeing a little slow down as well.

Comment

We're still going strong in Texas, but we're also getting a lot of y'all's residents.

Comment

I'm in Southern CA and our occupancy is the highest it's ever been. I turn people away daily that need more than our largest (5x9).

July +29
        August +29
        Sept +15
        Oct +12
        Nov +8 so far

Again, there would be considerably more the last couple months if I had much to offer. I have no scheduled move outs for the rest of this month and only 5 so far for December.

I will only hold a reservation for the day of move-in. If they don't show up, they're out of luck. And if I get something bigger than 5x9 (which I only have 2 anyway), I won't reserve. It's the first one with money that gets it!
        MamaDuke

Comment

Was any of the higher occupancy related to the pandemic do you think?
          Burt Abreu

All From 1 Supply
          Building & Maintenance
          Products for Self Storage

Comment

We had some refugees from San Francisco move in during the pandemic, the city was like a post apocalyptic ghost town and the people that came out here said it was just too weird to live there. The reasons one might want to live in SF were removed, no bars, no restaurants, no "scene", no business, no culture.... all that was left was human excrement and drug abusers. There were others that moved back home to live with mom and dad and needed a place for their stuff, but I wouldn't say that there were so many that I could point to it as a reason for increased occupancy.... we stayed about the same as pre-pandemic.

Seems the people that are moving out of their units are leaving the state, many are long time customers, not the ones that moved in over the last couple of years.

Hopefully it's just stars aligning, and not a trend.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelaESSTX View Post
              We're still going strong in Texas, but we're also getting a lot of y'all's residents.
              Yeah, you guys got my son, his wife and 3 grandkids. They left here for Spring.

Virginia got my daughter, her husband and 3 more grandkids. They left here for NoVa.

I've still got two kids, their spouses and 4 grandkids living in their own houses here on my facility, but I'm sure their days are numbered too. (and I'm angry I don't have an argument for them to stay in CA)

Comment

Originally posted by habreu View Post
                Was any of the higher occupancy related to the pandemic do you think?
                Nope ours was housing market

Comment

Yeah, we're seeing that here in San Bernardino county. Everyone is mostly full according to the comp survey but each facility has more available this month than previously. We're back to high 80's low 90's ourselves.
                  "The comeback is always stronger than the setback."
                  Mom, Navy Vet, genealogist and voracious reader
                  Always sunny in California

Comment

Originally posted by Storman View Post

Yeah, you guys got my son, his wife and 3 grandkids. They left here for Spring.

Virginia got my daughter, her husband and 3 more grandkids. They left here for NoVa.

I've still got two kids, their spouses and 4 grandkids living in their own houses here on my facility, but I'm sure their days are numbered too. (and I'm angry I don't have an argument for them to stay in CA)
                    Rest easy, they will certainly thrive here

Comment

They are, that's the only reason I'm OK with it.

Comment

I am not in California, but I have seen a decrease in new rentals over the last 60 days. Of my 3 locations my drive up units are still 100% full, but hallway units are renting a little slower. I am still at a much higher occupancy rate than I have been normally. I spent about 15 months 100% full before I carried an vacancy over from 1 month to the next. This is in Iowa fyi

Comment

Speaking as a storage customer here in California this past year but we had collected and packed a bunch of donations that nobody would accept during the pandemic. We ended up storing them for almost a year and then closed the unit when I was able to give them a home. I was thinking that some percentage of people might have had similar unexpected storage needs. In any case change often brings new opportunities so just have to get creative. I've seen a lot of great ideas on these forums - makes me wish I had a small storage place and lots of cash to test them all out. Drive thru, car wash, movie and dinner storage units. Yep.
                          Burt Abreu

All From 1 Supply
                          Building & Maintenance
                          Products for Self Storage

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X