X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JulieA
    replied
    Originally posted by Amy_ISS View Post
    I'm still looking for operators for interviews. If you're willing to answer some questions via email, please PM me. Thanks!
    You have one of my stories!! Glad I work remotely now!

Leave a comment:

• Amy_ISS
    replied
    I've received great responses ... but mostly from men. Ladies, I need your input! Even if you can only provide answers for a few of the questions. I would greatly appreciate it!

Leave a comment:

• Amy_ISS
    replied
    Please send responses by Friday. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Amy_ISS
    replied
    Here are the questions for my article. If you'd like to participate, you can PM the answers (you don't have to answer all) to me or send an email. Thanks!
    • What are some possible threats to operators from outside and internal sources?
    • Why is it important for operators to be trained to handle a variety of safety situations?
    • What should this training include?
    • How can you recognize warning signs that something could happen?
    • How should operators respond to various threats?
    • What measures can be taken to prevent problems?
    • What can companies do to protect their staff and tenants?

Leave a comment:

• Amy_ISS
    replied
    I'm still looking for operators for interviews. If you're willing to answer some questions via email, please PM me. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Pipe_Maker
    replied
    I have never had a customer get physical with me in the ss business. However since my last job was security in psych care / drug rehab I don't really worry so much about that.

Leave a comment:

• KrisinCali
    replied
    Originally posted by Lou G View Post
    At our old facility we had a rehabilitation center on the corner. There was a young adult who lived there that had some issues. He came into the office while my assistant was working and proceeded to stick his hand down his pants. You can guess what he was doing. She told him to leave immediately and not to come back! He then proceeded to do it in the parking lot while she called the police. The police came a short time later then went over to the center. We never saw him again. My assistant did say that he had blood on his pants, so maybe that was another reason he was never seen again.

Leave a comment:

• Lou G
    replied
    At our old facility we had a rehabilitation center on the corner. There was a young adult who lived there that had some issues. He came into the office while my assistant was working and proceeded to stick his hand down his pants. You can guess what he was doing. She told him to leave immediately and not to come back! He then proceeded to do it in the parking lot while she called the police. The police came a short time later then went over to the center. We never saw him again. My assistant did say that he had blood on his pants, so maybe that was another reason he was never seen again.

Leave a comment:

• KrisinCali
    replied
    Originally posted by Bubba View Post
    My brother and I were working at the facility installing new numbers above each unit. We heard someone blow their horn so I went up to investigate. When I came around the corner I was started to see someone helped themselves into the gate by forcing it open. I yelled for my brother and the suspect ended up leaving. Turns out the guy was a gang member in the area and we helped the sheriff break numerous thefts in the region by getting a good photo of him getting in his truck. I never did follow up to see if he was arrested or what not. We reviewed the security system and he attempted to open a unit that had a lot of traffic. We suspected they were storing drugs or stolen goods there and decided to not renew their lease.
    "Decided to not renew their lease". Lol

Leave a comment:

• Bubba
    replied
    My brother and I were working at the facility installing new numbers above each unit. We heard someone blow their horn so I went up to investigate. When I came around the corner I was started to see someone helped themselves into the gate by forcing it open. I yelled for my brother and the suspect ended up leaving. Turns out the guy was a gang member in the area and we helped the sheriff break numerous thefts in the region by getting a good photo of him getting in his truck. I never did follow up to see if he was arrested or what not. We reviewed the security system and he attempted to open a unit that had a lot of traffic. We suspected they were storing drugs or stolen goods there and decided to not renew their lease.

Leave a comment:

• Top 0848
    replied
    I've got some doozies from my time in the Corps...
    ...but as far as in the civilian side, had a homeless guy attack me outside my work. Took him down to the ground, hard, and had a fellow employee call the cops. Ticked me off that he made me get physical with him, but I got over it.

Leave a comment:

• sailorsmom3
    replied
    Most of my issues were probably in the first few years of managing this store. It takes time to build trust and prove you're not like the last a** who worked here. But I've been evacuated 3 times. Once for a grenade left on desk by auction buyer. a pipe bomb found in car, someone running from police in shoot out on corner. I guy screaming my name at the gate with a butcher knife (he received a late fee). A guy in office threating us with a hammer. (Another late fee issue). People have literally thrown themselves on the floor screaming because there in auction or were sold at auction.
    But we all deal with people from every walk of life in storage. Not just doctors, lawyers, businesses, your everyday citizen. We deal with people in gangs, thieves, bipolar, child molesters, homeless etc.
    What I've learned to do is treat them all the same. No matter what. I have a job to do, and I do it. I've learned if someone is venting, let them vent til they look at me expectantly as I've not tried to interrupt them. This job has definitely taught me to communicate. No one wakes up one day and says "I'm going to rent a storage space". There is something usually going on in their lives. Buying a new home, remodeling, hoarders, evicted, death in family. These are all stressful, so we do our jobs with tons of empathy.
    Dang I got off track lol Sorry!

Leave a comment:

• SBAZ
    replied
    Homeless but we already talked about that, I am always ready to run and lock the door when I see them coming as you never know if they are OK mentally or not...

Leave a comment:

• Amy_ISS
    started a topic Scary Situations in Storage

Scary Situations in Storage

Have you ever found yourself in a dangerous situation while at work? Perhaps it was an armed robbery, an unstable tenant or even a coworker who posed a threat. I'm seeking real-life happenings along with advice for an upcoming article for ISS. If you have a story to share, advice for others on staying safe, a great company policy or would like to contribute information, please PM or email me. Thanks!
    Last edited by Amy_ISS; 13 January 2022, 02:42 PM.

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Bubba
    A customer calls 5 minutes until closing time....
    by Bubba
    A customer calls us 5 minutes before closing time needing a unit tonight. (First red flag.) We did have some units available. Their kid is moving that night. I explain to her the rental process, collect her data, etc. Two things left to do. Send me her ID and sign the lease. For the life of her...
    Today, 05:58 PM
  • Bubba
    Reply to So this is a HUGE problem…anyone else dealt with this?
    by Bubba
    .This is why due diligence is so important before buying. As a buyer, one of my biggest concerns is fake accounts being created to boost the numbers.

To answer your question, follow your state lien laws. I would probably take an extra step and consult with a self storage attorney just...
    Today, 05:52 PM
  • Jblake
    Reply to Creating a No Rent List
    by Jblake
    A “DO NOT RENT LIST” is a feature offered in Storage Commander software and to the best of my knowledge it is the only storage management software that offers this....
    Today, 02:34 PM
Working...
X