DIY pest control advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY pest control advice

I hope you all are well and surviving the summer heat. We're pan frying in Texas, even more so than usual.

I'm considering letting go of my pest control contract and taking on that task, myself. I already have rodent boxes and bait pellets, so I'm looking for suggestions on insect treatments.

1) Is there a proven product that any of y'all can recommend?
    2) Are granular applications better than liquid spray?
    3) How often do you normally treat, and does that vary by the season?

Thanks for any insight provided!

Talstar Insecticide - Professional Grade Products. I like that one, you can mix it yourself, it leaves a residue and keeps killing, but it is safe for pets and kids, also the off brand is Bifen IT is the generic form and a bit more economical. I am in AZ though, It works well here. They have a granular product, I guess for grass, I don't have any grass here on the property, at my house I use it in the grass, and doesn't kill the grass but kills mosquitos etc that like to live in the grass. We have pest control at this property, but at other properties I did not have pest control, I sprayed which ever person moved out and then just walked a few units daily, I didn't have any problems doing it that way. I use the Bifen IT at home as well, I get it from Amazon.

Comment

I use this product https://www.domyown.com/conquer-liqu...cide-p-70.html I also use https://www.domyown.com/bifen-it-p-226.html . I change it up year after year.

When a unit empties I spray a perimeter inside the unit to prevent bugs coming from other units and outside. I also spray around the doors. I do this 4 or so times a year, when I do it is based on rainfall and when i see spider webs starting to form on doors.

I also use granular in gravel and grass areas. Again about 4 times a year. I usually use this https://www.lowes.com/pd/Spectracide...ler/5001952515 product unless I find something else with same ingridients for cheaper.

Comment

Texas here too! In-between pest control visits we use what he gave me. It's packets of Advion WDG, it mixes with water.. Kills anything with an exoskeleton but safe around pets and people. If you're not able to get that, diatomaceous earth is amazing for anywhere use, as well (can be bought at Tractor Supply). It needs to be vacuumed or swept up though. It's good for yard treatments of anything with an exoskeleton. We could definitely do our own pest control, but I guess it looks good for tenants to see them come out quarterly. Bait boxes are ours and we can refill with Nectus bait packs that we have here. I haven't been doing that the past couple of years though, because thankfully we haven't had any signs of rodents and the raccoons just reach in and steal all the bait anyway....when the boxes are empty, they toss the boxes and we get to find them. Been meaning to look into liquid nail lol.

Comment

funny about the raccoons!

Comment

Originally posted by AngelaESSTX View Post
            Texas here too! In-between pest control visits we use what he gave me. It's packets of Advion WDG, it mixes with water.. Kills anything with an exoskeleton but safe around pets and people. If you're not able to get that, diatomaceous earth is amazing for anywhere use, as well (can be bought at Tractor Supply). It needs to be vacuumed or swept up though. It's good for yard treatments of anything with an exoskeleton. We could definitely do our own pest control, but I guess it looks good for tenants to see them come out quarterly. Bait boxes are ours and we can refill with Nectus bait packs that we have here. I haven't been doing that the past couple of years though, because thankfully we haven't had any signs of rodents and the raccoons just reach in and steal all the bait anyway....when the boxes are empty, they toss the boxes and we get to find them. Been meaning to look into liquid nail lol.
            Raccoons are the bain of my existence at one of my 3 locations. Constantly messing with my bait stations. I have had to have them professionally trapped and removed multiple times. At the other 2 ants seem to like eating the mouse poison before the mice ever come around.

Comment

Thanks all, I've priced a few of these products and it looks like there will be quite a savings from my pest control service contract.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X