Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you had to pick one main problem that occurs frequently, what would it be?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • If you had to pick one main problem that occurs frequently, what would it be?

    I was just wondering what issues arise with running your storage unit? If you had to pick one main one, what would it be?

  • #2
    Tenants do not bother to read the lease and understand at the minimum of what their responsibilities are!
    Such as the due date and why access will be denied at 1 day late!
    Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

    Comment


    • #3
      I agree with lady5563 and those that think you need to hold their hand.....let them know when rent charges, let them know before the late fee posts, go remove the overlock when they say as opposed to when their lease says you will, contact them weekly once it goes into lien status our late fee posts 10 days after the rent charges, people will wait until day 8 to put a check in the mail & then get angry when the late fee posts....send it sooner

      Comment


      • #4
        GATES! I ALWAYS SAY... THE GATES WILL BE THE DEATH OF ME, I guess as I cant control that part of it. I used to be able to fix the old operators but now they have so many flashing lights etc inside, It is over my head... I don't touch anything and wait.... (and I guess that doesn't happen often.... but it does happen....)

        Comment


        • #5
          Tenants abandoning contents in storage. In the past 6 months, I've had about 6 units leave one of two big items (an oven, beds, desks) in their units for us to dispose of.

          Comment


          • #6
            WEED WEEDS WEEDS. Thank you very much.
            "The comeback is always stronger than the setback."
            Mom, Navy Vet, genealogist and voracious reader
            Always sunny in California

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by NCstorageguru View Post
              Tenants abandoning contents in storage. In the past 6 months, I've had about 6 units leave one of two big items (an oven, beds, desks) in their units for us to dispose of.
              100% this. I tell tenants no less than 4 times during the move in process that no items are to be left in unit after they move out or they will be subject to clean up fees (ours are $25/ item). We have an addendum on our rental agreement that if you allow you CC info to be stored in our system, we are allowed to process cleanup fees. This has lead to multiple "complaints" on $100+ charges. They normally change their tone when i send them photos of the units.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by USMCvet View Post

                100% this. I tell tenants no less than 4 times during the move in process that no items are to be left in unit after they move out or they will be subject to clean up fees (ours are $25/ item). We have an addendum on our rental agreement that if you allow you CC info to be stored in our system, we are allowed to process cleanup fees. This has lead to multiple "complaints" on $100+ charges. They normally change their tone when i send them photos of the units.
                Me likey your addendum! I'm using it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Reading of the rental agreement is a great one, so is weeds. So I will pick a different one, Crack Heads (this term should encompass anyone high on any form of drug) Had a guy recently sweeping my driveway in the middle of a rain storm at 4am. Had another one write a curse on the wall near his unit to protect it. Had another one with a curious George monkey that I say he was choking, but he may have been drying it out, I prefer my version for comedic purposes.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    garbage outside units

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I WISH weeds were my biggest problem. My eternal purgatory is people who can't remember a a gate code.

                      I categorize my phone calls into three types:
                      - I want to buy your facility (I get more of these calls than I do anything else)
                      - I'm at your gate and my code doesn't work (Me: Doesn't work or you forgot your code again? Hint: The system is working fine 99% of the time)
                      - I would like to rent a unit

                      Also, It's rare that someone hits the gate trying to tailgate in (which tends to put it in an error state holding open), but when it happens, without fail it will happen when I am traveling. Every. Dang. Time. And then every tenant that visits for the next 24 will call or text to tell me said gate is open.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Reading the full rental agreement is definitely one of them! Ours is only 1 page and people could be signing their life away and not even know it! I try and make sure to highlight the biggest things they need to know by telling them when going over the lease, but most of the time it seems as though they aren't even listening.
                        I think if I only had to choose one problem it would be people thinking that I am obligated to call to remind them to pay for their unit on time. It says in the application that no statement will be sent and that it is their responsibility to remember to pay and to pay on time. The previous manager set a precedent for these tenants, so I have been weaning them off of what they were previously used to.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Mine is not updating their information. I try to email you a reminder notice before you go late, I try to call you before you go late, I mail you a late notice and it gets returned. Now 2 months have gone by. You stop by and want in your unit. I say " your past due", you say " I'm on auto pay. I say it's not going through.... Point is if I don't have update info I can't let you know - I'm charging you for the garbage you left, you left your lock on wrong, I saw you on camera at gate and your using wrong code!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Steve_hajewski View Post
                            I WISH weeds were my biggest problem. My eternal purgatory is people who can't remember a a gate code.

                            I categorize my phone calls into three types:
                            - I want to buy your facility (I get more of these calls than I do anything else)
                            - I'm at your gate and my code doesn't work (Me: Doesn't work or you forgot your code again? Hint: The system is working fine 99% of the time)
                            - I would like to rent a unit

                            Also, It's rare that someone hits the gate trying to tailgate in (which tends to put it in an error state holding open), but when it happens, without fail it will happen when I am traveling. Every. Dang. Time. And then every tenant that visits for the next 24 will call or text to tell me said gate is open.
                            One that has baffled me through the years are tenants who can't see our exit keypad. It's literally right across from the gate (about 30 feet away) at the corner of the building on a bright white pole with three bright yellow bollards surrounding it. A few weeks ago a lady called me after hours to say she was stuck inside. I explained to her about 5 times where the keypad was and she still claimed she couldn't see it. Incredible.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Steve_hajewski View Post

                              Also, It's rare that someone hits the gate trying to tailgate in (which tends to put it in an error state holding open), but when it happens, without fail it will happen when I am traveling. Every. Dang. Time. And then every tenant that visits for the next 24 will call or text to tell me said gate is open.
                              So much this! I swear we have some sort of gate malfunction afterhours when I'm out of town.

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              • LoisG
                                Reply to Suspicious Theft
                                by LoisG
                                Right?!
                                When he said that, my ears perked up & became immediately suspicious. Then when he asked if we reimbursed him for the losses, I was thinking, "Get the heck outta here!"...
                                Today, 12:48 PM
                              • lady5563
                                Reply to An Average Day
                                by lady5563
                                Wait---so you do have it narrowed down to 2 possible suspects/tenants?

                                Are you going to call them BOTH and ask if they happened to leave something behind on this specific day and time that you know they were there?

                                If I had it narrowed down to 2 people---I KNOW I would be making...
                                Today, 10:44 AM
                              • lady5563
                                Reply to Suspicious Theft
                                by lady5563
                                Nothing like a huge red flag thrown in there!
                                He is going to tell you the exact date and the exact time he KNEW that someone was breaking into his storage unit!!!

                                ...
                                Today, 10:41 AM
                              Working...
                              X