Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accepting ONLY credit cards-in 2023.

Good morning all
    Just wanted to see if any of you are already JUST credit cards for storage customers.

We are looking into no longer accepting cash-checks and money orders.
    We would like to have every tenant use a credit/debit card AND be on autopay.

What are your thoughts?
    Thanks
    Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

It would definitely be more convenient to take card only. I have many tenants that refuse to get a debit or CC due to "trauma" from fraud in the past. My older tenants still write checks, most of the younger have a CC on file but I still get many cash payments. They do not come to my office, it is a drop box at the location only. I pick them up 4 times a week.

Comment

I think if it works for your area, it'll be great! Like Busy, we have a lot of elderly tenants that write checks and "off the grid" folks that don't trust banks (small town Texas). I also have some tenants who don't have debit cards for their accounts and can only write a check. I believe a larger city location would do very well with card/autopay only. We had a competitor come in last year and was determined to be card only and that didn't last long here.

Comment

It probably will be challenging!
        I am already hearing push backs!

So will continue to at least get the new tenants to sign up-since they may not realize that other folks may not be autopay!

It's challenging at best!

Comment

Wasn't Pac's facility like that? I think it depends on your client base. He's in a well to do area, it wouldn't work for me as I have a wide swath from low income to well to do, and they already ARE on autopay.
          "The comeback is always stronger than the setback."
          Mom, Navy Vet, genealogist and voracious reader
          Always sunny in California

Comment

One of our properties has NO issues with getting folks to swipe and sign up!

Mine- not so much! LOL

Comment

There's a completely automated facility in San Diego, and YOU MUST sign up for autopay if you move in. (it's kinda creepy there, I visited once-all big brother -ish...lol)
              "The comeback is always stronger than the setback."
              Mom, Navy Vet, genealogist and voracious reader
              Always sunny in California

Comment

We are hearing push backs due to we are in the office daily to accept ALL forms of payments!

The accepting only CC's is a standard practice when it is a un-manned property!
                It has to be that way!

And yes, I agree- CREEPY!!!!

and scary too!
                The tenants are extremely vulnerable when on the property by themselves!
                I can't imagine that the cameras are monitored 24 hours a day!!
                Being in the business, I might think twice before storing there myself!

Comment

I'm in upscale Orange County California, and this would never fly here!!! I still have about 15% of my customers that pay by cash and check, and those are the ones that won't ever change!
                  MamaDuke

Comment

Originally posted by lady5563 View Post
                    Good morning all
                    Just wanted to see if any of you are already JUST credit cards for storage customers.

We are looking into no longer accepting cash-checks and money orders.
                    We would like to have every tenant use a credit/debit card AND be on autopay.

What are your thoughts?
                    Thanks
                    I think you should just keep pushing for it. I am down to about 7 customers who send checks/money orders and two who pay cash at my mailing address/dropbox. Everyone else is autopay or they pay online. I mail out only 5 invoices per month and am working to reduce the number of emailed invoices and receipts.
                    As of five years ago, I no longer accepted rentals if they didnt have a current credit card and email address. Its amazing how many potential troublesome tenants.
                    All of these steps reduce your workload and streamline the operation. You should then be able to start reducing office hours, taking online rentals and focusing on other work needs.

Comment

Originally posted by MamaDuke View Post
                      I'm in upscale Orange County California, and this would never fly here!!! I still have about 15% of my customers that pay by cash and check, and those are the ones that won't ever change!
                      How do people manage this? Even in MT, most businesses are finally refusing to accept checks. And you cant do much in the world these days without a credit or debit card!

Comment

Originally posted by helenatim View Post

How do people manage this? Even in MT, most businesses are finally refusing to accept checks. And you cant do much in the world these days without a credit or debit card!
                        They have credit/debit cards, but I'm the primary storage facility for a huge retirement community. Many of them simply don't trust online or automatic payments, or even phone payments. They aren't computer-illiterate, either. Just have heard too many stories of fraud and want to do what they can to avoid the hassle! Many of them like the routine and social aspect of coming in to pay with cash or the long-standing tradition of mailing in a check.
                        MamaDuke

Comment

Originally posted by MamaDuke View Post
                          Many of them like the routine and social aspect of coming in to pay with cash or the long-standing tradition of mailing in a check.
                          This is a big one here too. Many say they enjoy getting out and paying bills...with their handy-dandy checkbook. They'll sit and talk as long as they're able, also...I'm ok with that too

Comment

Originally posted by AngelaESSTX View Post

This is a big one here too. Many say they enjoy getting out and paying bills...with their handy-dandy checkbook. They'll sit and talk as long as they're able, also...I'm ok with that too
                            They would not enjoy my contactless business!

Comment

We just bought a second (rural Texas) facility and about 80% of the legacy tenants immediately jumped at the opportunity to input a credit card and move to auto-billing.

Of the remaining 20% that said no, and "I don't trust banks and credit cards"... every dog-gone one of them was late with their November rent, and most aren't responding to emails, texts, or phone calls.

And to top that off, I just learned today that one of the "i only pay in cash" tenants is running a fencing operation for stolen power tools and construction equipment out of his unit. The previous owner turned a blind eye to it for years, but the local cops aren't.

So, there ya go.

From now on, no credit card, no storage unit.

And by noon tomorrow my new camera and security light system is going live.

Can't wait to flip on the switch and watch them scatter like cockroaches.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Bubba
                                A customer calls 5 minutes until closing time....
                                by Bubba
                                A customer calls us 5 minutes before closing time needing a unit tonight. (First red flag.) We did have some units available. Their kid is moving that night. I explain to her the rental process, collect her data, etc. Two things left to do. Send me her ID and sign the lease. For the life of her...
                                Today, 05:58 PM
                              • Bubba
                                Reply to So this is a HUGE problem…anyone else dealt with this?
                                by Bubba
                                .This is why due diligence is so important before buying. As a buyer, one of my biggest concerns is fake accounts being created to boost the numbers.

To answer your question, follow your state lien laws. I would probably take an extra step and consult with a self storage attorney just...
                                Today, 05:52 PM
                              • Jblake
                                Reply to Creating a No Rent List
                                by Jblake
                                A “DO NOT RENT LIST” is a feature offered in Storage Commander software and to the best of my knowledge it is the only storage management software that offers this....
                                Today, 02:34 PM
                              Working...
                              X