Creating a No Rent List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shortie720 View Post
    But there is no "List to Create" in ESS?

I was wanting to create a list of 'Do Not Rent' to prevent renting to them in the future. Our website allows people to create a login/ sign rental agreement/ rent units w/o contacting the office first. If there was a "No Rent List" that would flag us or even the tenant themselves "hey you owe such-n-such/ or went into Lien due to non pay, we will not rent to you".
    If other facilities contact me about a tenant, I will definitely let them know.
    Yes! Shut it down in step 1

Comment

Originally posted by AngelaESSTX View Post

I have yet to hear of any management software that offers this. We've been asking SiteLink for years and they say it's passed to developers (prob not gonna happen, like when a mom answers "maybe"). My assistant doesn't have access to previous tenants, so I type in the Company line "Owes $ bal for auction", "Do not rent", and so-on. So when he starts a rental and types in the persons name, he'll be able to see that as part of their "name" in our system. We don't do online rentals, but that's a hurdle in it's self!
      A “DO NOT RENT LIST” is a feature offered in Storage Commander software and to the best of my knowledge it is the only storage management software that offers this.

Comment

When we have evicted, auctioned, or dealt with a problem occupant that we don't want back again, at the time of vacate from the PMS we edit their name and add "DNR" directly in front of it. That way, if they come back in the future, the Manager is able to quickly read the associated note on why we will not rent to them again. We do the same if they do an online rental after hours. We will refund them and cancel the rental.

Depending on the PMS you use, you could do something similar to 'flag' the account.
        Stoho

"Be kind whenever possible; it is always possible."

Comment

How do you stop former bad tenants from renting again via kiosk or online?

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelguy View Post
            I called our support line and they don't have any way to prevent a former bad tenant from re-renting. Only way would be to monitor all the new rentals created.

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelguy View Post
              There is no real way to do it before the rental takes place.
              There is however, a way to do it after the rental takes place.
              It can be dicey at best!
              Ya just shut the rental down!
              If the person has not yet physically used the unit, then we would just refund the money and vacate the tenant.
              If the person was able to gain access to the unit well, that can be tricky!
              Forcing someone to remove the items after they are already in there is hard!

Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

We were told to never add DNR to a persons name in the system.
                God forbid they find out we were told it could be viewed as discrimination!

We do not have such a list.
                So it can be hard to remember names and such!

Comment

"We were told to never add DNR to a persons name in the system.
                  God forbid they find out we were told it could be viewed as discrimination!"​

A former tenant owes us hundreds of dollars and it could be viewed as discriminatory if we "DNR" to them again? Sounds like a wise business practice to me.

I like "shut the rental down" ...... if you catch it in time.

Comment

Shutting the rental down is easy!

We refund the money and say "i am sorry, that unit that was rented has an issue and I have no other units available at the time. I have refunded the money and bid you a good day"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LoisG
                      Reply to Suspicious Theft
                      by LoisG
                      Right?!
                      When he said that, my ears perked up & became immediately suspicious. Then when he asked if we reimbursed him for the losses, I was thinking, "Get the heck outta here!"...
                      Today, 12:48 PM
                    • lady5563
                      Reply to An Average Day
                      by lady5563
                      Wait---so you do have it narrowed down to 2 possible suspects/tenants?

Are you going to call them BOTH and ask if they happened to leave something behind on this specific day and time that you know they were there?

If I had it narrowed down to 2 people---I KNOW I would be making...
                      Today, 10:44 AM
                    • lady5563
                      Reply to Suspicious Theft
                      by lady5563
                      Nothing like a huge red flag thrown in there!
                      He is going to tell you the exact date and the exact time he KNEW that someone was breaking into his storage unit!!!

Today, 10:41 AM
                    Working...
                    X