Winter Weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Weather

More storms are expected this week. How has your winter been? What have been some challenges to keeping your site clean and safe?
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

This has been our worst winter for ice buildup. At one point 40% of our doors were frozen to the ground. That's about 400 doors The cycle of snow, melt, water runs off roof, freezes, more snow, melt, then re-freeeze was just brutal. Two weeks of warm weather and 4 days of ice-picking and all is good again.

Comment

Originally posted by Amy_ISS View Post
      More storms are expected this week. How has your winter been? What have been some challenges to keeping your site clean and safe?
      This has been a pretty light winter for us this year. I haven't even had to deal with ice this year (Knock on wood)

Comment

It's been bananas in San Bernardino-we had SNOW at our lower elevation (at least it didn't stick), and our mountains got slammed, and will again tonight. Lots and lots of rain, and more rain this afternoon.
        "The comeback is always stronger than the setback."
        Mom, Navy Vet, genealogist and voracious reader
        Always sunny in California

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinCali View Post
          It's been bananas in San Bernardino-we had SNOW at our lower elevation (at least it didn't stick), and our mountains got slammed, and will again tonight. Lots and lots of rain, and more rain this afternoon.
          I lived in Lake Arrowhead for 10 years. I'm SOOOOO happy not to be there right now! We had one similar storm when I was there, but this one is lasting longer. There's been no way in or out for a week now!
          MamaDuke

Comment

Here in New Jersey we have been quite lucky!
            No snow to speak about.
            We have had some pretty frigis temps but nothing bad at all.

Come on Spring!
            Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Originally posted by MamaDuke View Post

I lived in Lake Arrowhead for 10 years. I'm SOOOOO happy not to be there right now! We had one similar storm when I was there, but this one is lasting longer. There's been no way in or out for a week now!
              Yeah, all of the SB mountain communities are snowed in.

Comment

Originally posted by helenatim View Post
                This has been our worst winter for ice buildup. At one point 40% of our doors were frozen to the ground. That's about 400 doors The cycle of snow, melt, water runs off roof, freezes, more snow, melt, then re-freeeze was just brutal. Two weeks of warm weather and 4 days of ice-picking and all is good again.
                You are not alone! Along with the ice, we ran out of places to put snow so multiple units are inaccessible. We have a snow removal guy, but he doesn’t clean the 300+ doors off. Don't have any helpers so I do what I can proactively, then as needed. After prying the door open I have to chisel ice out of the door tracks to get them to close every time. Owner says they never had the door problem before, which translates into; We never kept the tracks clean so now we have years of silt mixed with ice in the lower tracks at this point. I advised them it’s fine to use a leaf blower to clean the units out (if you like chasing your tail), but you still need to clean the thresholds and tracks before your done. To be honest , we haven't had this kind of snow on the regular since the early eighties. We are going to come up with a better game plan, just in case this is the new normal.
                " I always wanted to be somebody, but I see now I should have been more specific ".

Comment

Originally posted by Hilltop_Bob View Post

You are not alone! Along with the ice, we ran out of places to put snow so multiple units are inaccessible. We have a snow removal guy, but he doesn’t clean the 300+ doors off. Don't have any helpers so I do what I can proactively, then as needed. After prying the door open I have to chisel ice out of the door tracks to get them to close every time. Owner says they never had the door problem before, which translates into; We never kept the tracks clean so now we have years of silt mixed with ice in the lower tracks at this point. I advised them it’s fine to use a leaf blower to clean the units out (if you like chasing your tail), but you still need to clean the thresholds and tracks before your done. To be honest , we haven't had this kind of snow on the regular since the early eighties. We are going to come up with a better game plan, just in case this is the new normal.
                  Many winters I have to have snowed hauled off the property to make room for future storms. We don't clear the doors every storm, but if it builds up enough we take care of it.

Comment

Everyone east of California, brace yourselves. We just got dumped on again (day 5 of rain/snow), and we had snow again at the lower elevations. Y'all are next....

Comment

I'm not a fan of snow operations ...

I really missed the boat when the pricing was around $1700 for this autonomous snow blower ...

A detachable intelligent snow blowing robot with virtual boundaries. Delivery 2022 Winter.

Yarbo.jpg

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X