Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snow Removal Solutions

Hi All,
    Thought that I'd share how we've been taking care of this lousy midwestern snow.

For years, we used to hire the typical snow plow guys...you know, landscapers with straight plow blades added to their trucks.
    One time we had 3 trucks here for nearly 6 hours and paid $1,300 for their efforts. They actually had to refuel during this time...ugh.

Anyhow, we purchased a 2 stage snowblower to move the snow away from the buildings. It was scary to see these sleep deprived drivers, just inches from my metal buildings.
    Then, one year we had a single plow truck show up with 2 BobCats...cut our cost in half.

Then we got smart and purchased an ATV with a Cyclone plow. We plow the snow as it falls and we move the snow to the center of our long drives. After the peak of the snow removal business dies down (1 to 2 days after the snowfall), a couple of trucks with V shaped plows clear out the snow and our cost is now...get this...$240.

The snow removal guys like us, since we're not a high priority (due to our own ATV plowing), and they can come in 24 hours a day (since we're lighted all night).

We still don't like snow, but at least it's not as costly of an event.

Just some free info.
    Bob Meister
    http://www.aboutstorage.com

Re: Snow Removal Solutions

We have a v plow on a truck and we pull a skid load with a snow bucket that is 8' 6" wide. Works well for our needs. We used to hire out the plowing, but they always did such a horrible job making it so we would have to have snow removed from the sites because they were not pushing the snow properly.

When we use the skid at the same time as the plow it makes it so we can stack right away and not worry about having to come back later to remove snow.

Comment

Thanks BobinIndy & RandyL for the information.....It's always nice to hear alternative, money-saving measures!!!

Success always involves risk; you can't steal second base with your foot on first. - Frederick Wilcox

Comment

WHAT ABOUT ICE???

We have about 5 acres of unpaved crushed pavement driveways. It's very compacted and works well except in the spring.

Right now we are still having problems with an ice storm. I put up a sign saying enter at own risk due to ice on driveways. It coould cost me upwards of $1,000 to have salt put down. Anyone have any experience in what to do?

Comment

Originally posted by Ramjet View Post
          WHAT ABOUT ICE???

We have about 5 acres of unpaved crushed pavement driveways. It's very compacted and works well except in the spring.

Right now we are still having problems with an ice storm. I put up a sign saying enter at own risk due to ice on driveways. It coould cost me upwards of $1,000 to have salt put down. Anyone have any experience in what to do?
          When drives are very icey we put up warnings, but we have the facilities salted and sanded as needed to help the sun remove the ice.

Comment

WHAT ABOUT ICE???

Northern tool sells a variety of salt spreaders, If you have 5 acres to treat you need a unit big enough to mount in a pickup I would think, good luck with the cost, but if you keep it clean in the off season it should last long enough to recoup your investment. Or if you're treated like me, a manual spreader and a lot of labor will do the job also. When does the global warming start?
            The End Is Near!

Comment

I'll bring back this old thread!

We signed a contract in October for snow plow services. I got 3 quotes and went with the guys who had extra trucks for heavy times and could remove extra snow in case we get a heavy winter.... Total bill for the 5 months was $7,000!

I told the owners we should just buy a used truck and do it ourselves. It would pay for itself in 2 years or less and we could plow multiple times per day if we needed to!

Anyone else do their own plowing? How's it working? What are the challenges?

Matt

Comment

I replied last time around, I now have a bigger plow truck with a large 9'2" V plow blade. Works great.

Sometimes I may need to close the office for snow removal, but guess what not many people are out and about in the snow. I forward calls to my cell phone and can still conduct business if needed.

What we did was in 2014 we got a new 1 ton truck with a dump body on it. We use it for hauling in rock, out trash or brush. And then plowing in the winter time. It is a great asset to have for the facility. We don't use it often we have put less than 10,000 miles on it since we purchased it in 2014.

Comment

We have our own plow truck and will have someone come in for sanding as necessary. Trouble is, they don't sand "inside" the facility (with the exception of just inside the entrance gate), just the parking area outside the gate. Last year we had a tenant complain so the owners opted to have some sanding done inside the facility. Then the sand truck driver decided he didn't like it and proceeded to chew me out because he had to go get more sand
                  AmyLou

Comment

I do the plowing at our place. We have a straight blade on a pickup, bobcat with blower (not working ?) and a blade, CAT 966 loader with blade and two buckets plus a walk behind blower for close up work. I pile it up in the yard and if we get too much I call in a dump truck and they haul it away

Sanding is done by third party and is never consistent, one time thick sand other times thin layer, sometimes they have it spreading so hard it bangs against the building....

Comment

Originally posted by tonaselfstore View Post
                      I'll bring back this old thread!

We signed a contract in October for snow plow services. I got 3 quotes and went with the guys who had extra trucks for heavy times and could remove extra snow in case we get a heavy winter.... Total bill for the 5 months was $7,000!

I told the owners we should just buy a used truck and do it ourselves. It would pay for itself in 2 years or less and we could plow multiple times per day if we needed to!

Anyone else do their own plowing? How's it working? What are the challenges?

Matt
                      Here is a blog article from 2012 https://dakselfstorage.com/forward-a...hundred-times/

I do have a newer truck now and a nice Blizzard 8.5-11' blade.

Joe Krezdorn
                      DAK Self Storage
                      Leesport, PA 19533
                      www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

WHAT ABOUT ICE???

We could not find a contractor who would salt/sand on an “as needed” basis....we would have to contract with them for a (high) set price per month. Our solution was to purchase a salt spreader (A Salt Dogg by Buyers) that fits in the back of our 1 ton truck. We are very DIY people and have a system for mounting it in the truck when we need it and taking it out when not in use. We always pressure wash the spreader before putting it away. It takes longer to mount & fill it than it does to actually spread the salt. Plowing is crazy expensive up here, so we do our own with a Boss v-plow and an ASV. My husband works during the week, so it’s usually my job. But he just spent 14 hours plowing our sites out on Sunday...I can’t even imagine how much that would have cost us.

Comment

Fingers crossed no major snow here yet.
                          Joe Krezdorn
                          DAK Self Storage
                          Leesport, PA 19533
                          www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

Originally posted by grcitylimits View Post

We could not find a contractor who would salt/sand on an “as needed” basis....we would have to contract with them for a (high) set price per month. Our solution was to purchase a salt spreader (A Salt Dogg by Buyers) that fits in the back of our 1 ton truck. We are very DIY people and have a system for mounting it in the truck when we need it and taking it out when not in use. We always pressure wash the spreader before putting it away. It takes longer to mount & fill it than it does to actually spread the salt. Plowing is crazy expensive up here, so we do our own with a Boss v-plow and an ASV. My husband works during the week, so it’s usually my job. But he just spent 14 hours plowing our sites out on Sunday...I can’t even imagine how much that would have cost us.
                            If I didn't do my own snow removal we may have broke the bank last year lol. The big thing when you have your own equipment and do it yourself is you can control where the snow goes. You can take a little extra time and groom it better to allow for more future storage of snow. Where as when we have hired it out in the past they will just put it in the most convenient spot, and when that spot is full they want you to have it removed.

Some days I spend as much time plowing the day after the snow as I do right after it is done.

Comment

WHAT ABOUT ICE???

If you're paying $1k to salt 5 acres you need to call around for a better price, that's crazy. We pay between $90-$150 to sand ~9 acres. Maybe salt is more expensive, I don't know but that price is crazy high.

On the other hand maybe look into getting a truck and start a salting business

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• KeelHauler1994
                                Reply to Facebook Marketing
                                by KeelHauler1994
                                A lot of great ideas. I will give you my thoughts and opinions but each faciltity is unique and each location presents its own positives and negatives.

If you have no advertising budget or very little, I would start with the following.

Do the market research for your zip code...
                                Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                              • Orkocean
                                Reply to I can even sell units at competitor's facilities...dang I'm good.
                                by Orkocean
                                spidey senses, gotta love them... in our area anytime someone inquires about "smallest unit" and "access hours" we are on guard.. I had one the other day who wanted the smallest then asked if we accept checks after refusing to say what she's storing other than "boxes"....
                                Yesterday, 08:39 PM
                              • Orkocean
                                Reply to Cleaning Hacks
                                by Orkocean
                                I won't blow unless I absolutely have to. I prefer broom and dustpan. As far a "hacks", I'll get the extension cords out and a shopvac on the roofs when its time to clean gutters of leafs, dusting doors are super quick if you get a California king duster from wally world in the auto section....
                                Yesterday, 08:35 PM
                              Working...
                              X