Gate codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gate codes

How do you assign 4-7 digit numeric gate codes?
    pro's and con's

random number?
    month/date of birth? eg 0416 for April 16
    last 4digits of the SSAN? eg 8734

Please share with us the most popular method.....

Re: Gate codes

We use a 4-digit code, and let the tenant pick the code. That way, there is atleast a 50% chance that they will remember their code. That would be, 50% chance, at best.
    Bob Taylor (Astro)
    Blue Ridge Self Storage
    Cashiers, NC

Disclaimer: What Gina said....'cause the the cheese fell of my cracker.

Comment

SiteLink assigns a random code, I just shorten it to 4 digits. I used to use the last 4 digits of their phone number, but I don't want someone to get in because they knew someone else's phone number. I don't want Bob who's locked out to get in because of course, he know's cousin Billy's number who also stores here. Using the last 4 of the SSN or DL is no different than random numbers for many people. You'd be surprised how many don't know either of those numbers!
      MamaDuke

Comment

we use their unit number( 3 or 4 digits depending on the unit) and then any 4 digits they want for a total of a 7 or 8 digit code, this way if they know there code, they know what unit they are in.

Comment

Hello,

We let Sitelink randomly assign a 4-5 digit code. Sitelink gives the option to allow the customer to set the code, but we find that this rarely works, because most people pick something short and common (e.g., a birth-year - "1959"). Random seems to work best!

Jim

Comment

Tenant always picks 5 or more # pin. We used to use 4 at another facility we owned and you would be surprised how many people pick the same #. We then had to call the tenant with and ask them to change code. 5 or more it may have happened 2 times since 1998. With four I always got "can I use 2269" That seemed most tried.
            Joe Krezdorn
            DAK Self Storage
            Leesport, PA 19533
            www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

We always let the customer pick. I have one facility that is 4 digit (with unit # entered first)
              - most use their bank atm pin number and say so!! We discourage birth years and zip codes. My other facility uses 5 digit and that sure makes it hard for people!! Years ago with the 4 digit the wife picked the number. Hubby says what is that. She said it is our anniversary date and if you go in & out of that gate enough you might remember it someday..Another popular (hanging my head in shame) method is they pick their two favorite Nascar numbers!

Comment

I'm starting to like the 5 digis as it makes it that much more difficult to have an acceptable code or duplication.

It's actually amazing how many times one can guess a 4 digit code particularly on sites where common pairs are allowed ie 7777 , 1235, 4321 etc ...

Comment

We require a 6 digit gate code that the tenant picks...we have many people who want to use only 4 and we explain the odds that someone could randomly enter a 4 digit gate code and get in is higher that 6 digits is much more secure.

Success always involves risk; you can't steal second base with your foot on first. - Frederick Wilcox

Comment

we use unit # plus last 4 digits of their social. Seems to work well.

Comment

WinSen will assign a 5 digit code but we offer the customer the option of choosing a 4 or 5 digit code that they feel they can remember. THe actual code is their unit number plus their security code and we've never had a problem. Cameras everywhere though.......
                      Karen and Denny Beall
                      Diamond Self Storage
                      Nature Coast of Florida
                      DiamondSelfStorage.com

Comment

We like to use the K.I.S.S. formula..
                        Unit# plus any four numbers you like or can remember...

Helps cut way back on "What's my code?"
                        and a very slim chance of a duplicate...

Comment

Originally posted by dakselfstorage View Post
                          Tenant always picks 5 or more # pin. We used to use 4 at another facility we owned and you would be surprised how many people pick the same #. We then had to call the tenant with and ask them to change code. 5 or more it may have happened 2 times since 1998. With four I always got "can I use 2269" That seemed most tried.
                          Oh and I will not allow local zip codes
                          Joe Krezdorn
                          DAK Self Storage
                          Leesport, PA 19533
                          www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

To avoid duplication, we use the tenants unit number along with 4 numbers they provide. It's a longer number to remember but it helps them remember what unit they have as well as no duplication.
                            Rick Barre
                            Facility Manager/Raleigh West
                            www.cardinalselfstorage.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• KrisinWA
                              Ideas? We have this greasy dirt
                              by KrisinWA
                              and re-painted doors, so I can't have them pressure wash them. I wanted to know if anyone had a surefire dirt remover for their roll up doors? I'm thinking of squirt of dawn soap and vinegar in water. Anyone have something better?...
                              Yesterday, 06:02 PM
                            • KrisinWA
                              Reply to Tenant Points Gun at Manager
                              by KrisinWA
                              A lot of managers are by themselves, including me-most of the time. I have to do the rounds by myself and I wouldn't even think twice about lifting an unlocked door to check if it's empty or whatever....
                              Yesterday, 05:58 PM
                            • Gina6k
                              Reply to Artistic Endeavors
                              by Gina6k
                              I'm definitely crafty! I crochet, knit, sew, cook, bake, garden, write and more and love coming up with ideas and making them a reality. Never could embroider well, did a few cross stitch things and latch hook when I was younger. I can see something and turn around and make it myself. I'm also well-versed...
                              Yesterday, 05:49 PM
                            Working...
                            X