Locks/Keys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Locks/Keys

OK, so like pretty much everyone else here we don't keep extra keys, or masters, for any units unless the tenant has us keep one specifically for deliveries (so far that's one out of 590 units). That being said, we recently had to implement a new lock policy. Before, our tenants could use pretty much any kind of lock they wanted though we always suggested using disc locks for better security. Now, dues to a recent string of break-ins, we require all units be secured with disc locks. This presented a bit of a problem since about 1/4 of out tenants used pad locks. The owner decided that this was an "time sensitive emergency situation" which meant, per the lease agreement, we could remove all the pad locks and replace them with disc locks with little to no prior-notification to tenants. All said and done, we exchanged over 140 locks, most of which are students currently on summer break and out of town. We notified every single one and got pretty much the same response, "Please hold the keys until I come back in August." To organize the keys we put key tags on all of them with the unit number and organize them by number in a large locking key case that's bolted to the wall in our back office. When a tenant comes to pick up the keys we look at their ID and only give it to the primary person on the contract; we also note in the computer when the keys are picked up. Honestly, out of the whole situation, organizing the keys was the easy part.

Comment

I am assuming because of your rash of break ins you implemented the disc lock policy. We use an Abus German Made disc lock that has a harder metal compound and therefore is very hard to cut off unless using the grinder/cut off tool. I have tried to cut one with 4 foot bolt cutters, could not do it. I can easily cut the disc locks that are made in China and Japan and India with the bolt cutters. It is still hard to do because of design but did do it pretty easily. The size of gap at the jaw makes a difference, too. Good luck.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

"Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet him"

Comment

We only sell disc locks and tell people that's what we prefer they use due to the higher level of security they offer. We don't hold keys unless they sign a hold harmless waiver and only for deliveries, etc. We only have 3 customers we do this for and it's not something we advertise because we don't want random people knowing we have keys to a few units. I know U-Haul requires all tenants to have disc locks and personally I'd prefer if everyone had a disc lock. Way more secure than a standard padlock

Comment

Originally posted by RTSNorCalManager View Post

OK, so like pretty much everyone else here we don't keep extra keys, or masters, for any units unless the tenant has us keep one specifically for deliveries (so far that's one out of 590 units). That being said, we recently had to implement a new lock policy. Before, our tenants could use pretty much any kind of lock they wanted though we always suggested using disc locks for better security. Now, dues to a recent string of break-ins, we require all units be secured with disc locks. This presented a bit of a problem since about 1/4 of out tenants used pad locks. The owner decided that this was an "time sensitive emergency situation" which meant, per the lease agreement, we could remove all the pad locks and replace them with disc locks with little to no prior-notification to tenants. All said and done, we exchanged over 140 locks, most of which are students currently on summer break and out of town. We notified every single one and got pretty much the same response, "Please hold the keys until I come back in August." To organize the keys we put key tags on all of them with the unit number and organize them by number in a large locking key case that's bolted to the wall in our back office. When a tenant comes to pick up the keys we look at their ID and only give it to the primary person on the contract; we also note in the computer when the keys are picked up. Honestly, out of the whole situation, organizing the keys was the easy part.
          yes I know this took place in 2015 and this is now 2021. .... When I have had similar experience, I put the key inside the folder with the lease so that when someone comes in there is not an 'advertizement' of holding keys.

Comment

Originally posted by MusicCity Gal View Post

I have to agree with everyone on here regarding the liability. We never keep a key to a tenants unit except the deliveries with Hold Harmless agreements. We have actually stopped providing this service to new tenants and only honor current tenants with whom we have been doing this for.
            I know this is an old post, would I be able to request a copy of your hold harmless agreement?

Comment

Originally posted by bwmary View Post

I know this is an old post, would I be able to request a copy of your hold harmless agreement?
              Hi!! The form we use to use is a SiteLink form called Authorization to Hold Keys that is still available in their software.
              Stephanie Tharpe
              President
              A+ Management Group, LP
              Nashville, TN
              www.aplusmanagementgroup.com

TNSSA Board of Directors
              www.tnssa.net

Comment

I do not want to be a key master for all the reasons above.
                We have had vendors that send a different rep once in a while. What I did was have them purchase a lock box without the doorknob thingy on it. I then would screw it the the door jamb on outside units and to a wall panel on interior units. It was up to them who they gave the code to.
                After they moved out I would just use the same colored screws with the waterproof gasket used to construct the building to fill the holes.
                At first I would never do this but found most vendors paid on time and stayed for a long period of time.
                The screws on the jamb are unobtrusive after they leave. And the lock boxes are now ours to either sell to another or rent to someone.
                Joe Krezdorn
                DAK Self Storage
                Leesport, PA 19533
                www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

I know it's not a controversial point, but I agree with Steve. Why risk a lawsuit over a 12$ lock?

Comment

Originally posted by bwmary View Post

MusicCity Gal

bwmary is looking to see if you would be so kind to share your HHA form!
                    Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

We combined a couple of forms and this is what we use now:

Authorization to Hold Keys

Dear Management:

I, __________, authorize _______________ Self Storage or any of its representatives to hold the keys to our leased unit number ______ for the purpose of:

[ ] Receiving shipments to the above specified unit number and further agrees that the shipments will be only in the name of the lessee and that ______________________ Self Storage, or any of its representatives is released of any responsibilities to inventory the shipments, be with the delivery person as they are placing the shipment into the above specified unit number of to accept shipments in which the delivery person refuses to deliver directly to the specified unit number and/or any damages that may occur.

[ ] Any repairs which may need to be done in reference to the above specified unit number.

[ ] Entering the above specified unit number for the strict reason of accessing an immediate power source to the Self Storage complex.

[ ] At the tenant’s request to turn the keys over to a person other than that signed on the lease agreement for whatever reason necessary. That person or company is as follows:

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________
                      (It is understood that the keys will only be turned over to the above specified person or company when proper identification has been shown.)

Comment

This is not recommended by the lawyers FYI. This changes the "bailment" of the unit and your legal responsibilities.
                        Throw kindness around like Confetti - But don't get glitter in your eyes!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X