Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know how to adjust tension on a Roll-A-Flex pull up / garage door?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know how to adjust tension on a Roll-A-Flex pull up / garage door?

We have an issue with this large garage (pull up) door sliding down if someone opens it up. Seems like a spring tension issue. I called a local company that services those and it would take 2 weeks for them to get here. So I'm trying to see if we can adjust it ourselves.

Here's the pictures of the door and the spring itself (attached.)

Does anyone have any experience with adjusting spring tension on these?
    Attached Files

My personal piece of advice is
    If you don't know what you are doing, then leave it to a professional!
    Those springs can do a lot of bodily harm!!!
    Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

I have done it my self and seen it done. lady5563 is correct, if you do not have the right tools and the know how they are dangerous. If attempt should be with two people. The ones I have done have only one spring on them. Here is what I do with two people. You need two pipe wrenches that have a long handle on them so you have leverage. In the center of the roller beam there is a drum mounted where the door is screwed to it in usually three places. With the door down you want to have bright lights set up on stands for good vision. Have a person use one of the pipe wrenches and pull the tension off of the roller by "BITING" at the beam and pull against the roll back of the spring. The spring is at full tension when door is closed. With the tension off you then use the second person to remove the screws holding the top of the door to the roll up drum. Then you use the second wrench to get a "BITE" and pull more tension on the beam and do a complete turn and alternate the wrenches as you do it to get a continuous "BITE" as you roll the beam. Get to where the screw holes line up again and reattach the door and then you have added tension to the door spring. BE AWARE that doing this on an old spring can cause it to break. Replacing the spring is a whole different animal. The spring is an easy replace if it is broken but then you have to do several "TURNS" on the beam to reset the tension on the new spring. I would usually start with three turns and may have to repeat till correct tension is set. There is another way to add tension. You can leave the door attached. No pipe wrenches needed. At each side of the top of the door rail there are stops bolted there. With door up close to the stops, remove both stops. Roll the bottom of door out of the two side rails just enough to clear the top of the rails. Hold the rolled up door tight and use a ratchet strap at each end and keep the roll up tight with the straps. Then roll the whole door assembly one complete turn to add tension and then hold the roll tight and release/remove the straps and guide the bottom of the door back down in to the two rails and reattach the stops. Tension is now set again. If spring breaks in either way, the beam inside the spring will contain it put stay away from the spring when doing either process. If you are up against the spring if it breaks, you will get smacked HARD. The safest way is the second way of doing it. Just be aware the spring can break when retensioning and then the door is out of commission till spring is replaced. If you or the friend are not mechanically inclined or don't have the right tools, stay the hell away from either of these descriptions.

By the way, my maintenance man is so talented that he sets retension, the first way, by himself.
      Last edited by pacnwstorage; 15th February 2017, 06:38 PM.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Thank you for the info.

Comment

If the doors have springs on each side then the steps would likely be different but would have to see to know. If there is two springs the second description should be a go. I do know that one time we called the local "door" company to reset tension on a few doors and they were insisting to remove the entire assembly from the wall and lay on the ground and then do the work and then reinstall. I told them to stop and called the shop and told them we had done it the two ways I described and the shop then talked to the two techs and they did it the same as my first description. They were just trying to run the bill up. If you get a door company out to do the work and they try to tell you a big song and dance, you can have them read what I have said. I have done either way, in about an hour or less, with two people. Replacing the spring, if broken, is easily done for an extra 1/2 hour.
          "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Hey you guys.....I LOVE that my tenant is in fact a door guy!!
            Isn't that so awesome!!!??

He owns his own business and having him as my tenant is so freaking awesome!!!

Before we bought this location, we did not have any door guy contacts.
            We found a few in Google search but man, the rates were astronomical!!

A few years ago, my owners bought a property and wa-la one of the existing tenants is my door guy!!

We do not trade for services and rent.
            He pays his rent, he pays on time, he also pays for part of the dumpster, because it is him who uses it AND when we need doors fixed, he sends his tech and we get the invoice!

It has been a beautiful relationship!!
            As this door guy will now travel to our locations!!
            Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• RandyL
              Reply to Cannot connect with customer
              by RandyL
              Of course you can auction a unit without a proper address. Just follow your states laws and send the proper notices the the address the tenant provided to you. I have people like this too. Usually they will get things fixed before a sale, but not always....
              Today, 01:09 AM
            • RandyL
              Reply to Mold and Mildew Prevention
              by RandyL
              Yes mold and mildew do spread via airborne spores. Which means it can spread from unit to unit.

I buy my damp check from Chateau products.

Being in Iowa I deal with tons of humidity as well. We offer free pallets at all of our facilities. We tell people air flow is...
              Today, 01:05 AM
            • LisaC
              Cannot connect with customer
              by LisaC
              Advice, please. We have a customer who rents two units, payments timely with bank generated checks each month. All mail correspondence has been returned and a few months ago we received a text message to stop texting the phone number on file as it does not belong to this person. All is well until we...
              Yesterday, 10:00 PM
            Working...
            X