No announcement yet.

U-Haul Dealer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So we quit U-Haul a few months back. I still get emails from our former AFM about updates, etc (sent out to all his dealers). The one I received last week was about the new POS (U-Hauls system for rentals done all online). So today I casually decided to go to uhaul.com to see if it is any different on the customer side. They have changed the layout a little, but one MAJOR thing that stood out to me.... I put in a one-way reservation from here to Boise ID. The system automatically listed the U-Haul center (in the next city over mind you) as the only location with a 15ft truck. It then listed a dealer in my city 2nd, with a 20ft truck as an alternative. No big deal right? Then I go back, start over, here to Boise, same pickup time, then choose 20ft truck. The system then lists the center as the only location with a 20ft truck, says all others have "limited selection". So somehow U-Haul's programmers figured out a way to make people think the center is their only option, thus stealing more reservations from the dealers.

So glad we got out, have not regretted it one bit. For those that are dealers, it may work for you, but trust me they are screwing you and you may not even realize it.

Comment

Where there is a will there is a way to keep all the places like letsgosonics in their system and use them and use them and use them till enough is enough. When they get gone the most important thing, the storage business, gets the full attention it deserves.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

We have been a dealer for 3 years now. We have had many of the same problems already mentioned here (and I have complained about on other threads also). All I can say is, don't let it interfere w/your storage business, because you won't make enough w/Uhaul. The best (and only) reason to do it at all is it will bring in customers you might not have gotten otherwise. It sounds like you will be the only dealer in your area for a while, so you might do really well with it, but like others have said, it will take 3-6 months to figure out the system. And they will direct as much business as they can to their centers and away from you. And keep track of your books, they charge you for things they shouldn't. It is a lot of work for not much reward, and if it was up to me I wouldn't do it either. Alas, its not up to me.
        "I don't understand your specific kind of crazy but I do admire your total commitment to it!"

Comment

I've been with the Big 3, Uhaul, Budget, and Penske.

Budget was by far the worst. About 50% of my rentals, Budget did not provide me with a truck to rent the customer, so I'm getting screamed and yelled at because the customer has 5 people to help move and no truck.

Uhaul was a bit better, but instead of always having trucks at my location, Uhaul operates on the idea that they move the customer to the truck. So if I rent a truck at my location, instead of bringing me a truck, they expect the customer to drive to whatever location has the truck. Very annoying for the customer and also cuts my revenue in half since I had to split the commission. Uhaul also expects the dealer to go WAY ABOVE AND BEYOND in keeping trucks clean, maintained, paperwork in order etc. Every 60-90 days, your local AFM (manager) would come to your location and go thru all your paperwork, rentals, and any trucks on the lot and nit pick every little thing they can. Extremely annoying and my AFM would be there all day which basically tied me up all day.

Uhaul is also the biggest out there. They had the most rentals/revenue, but many of the rentals were locals which you may make $5-10 on, hardly worth the rentals/time. They also don't want a dealer making more than 5000-6000 a year. If you make more than that, they will not hesistate to open more locations in your area. Within a year of my location doing Uhaul, they brought on two more dealers and also bought my biggest competitor and made it a corporate location. Completely killed off all my rentals since they moved everything to the corporate store. Uhaul has absolutely no loyalty to their dealers.

Currently with Penske. By far the best rental experience for us. Their commissions are a bit less, but way way less time/headache involved. In the three years I have been with them, I think they has missed getting me a truck ontime once. Penske moves all the trucks from location to location with their own hikers. (Uhaul/Budget expects the dealers to move trucks most of the time, something that you don't get paid for). Also with Penske, most of the rentals are larger one ways which makes the time for the rental worth it.

Comment

Whether it is U-Haul, Budget or Penske or ACME, I just have never seen a plus side to these trucks at a facility. The main business of a facility is storage. Concentrate on doing that the best you can and reap the rewards. All those truck companies concentrate on what is best for them after all and your success is not at the top of their list.

Comment

What the truck companies do is just a little part of what you will have to go through. One month you might be kept so busy that you meet yourself coming out the door as you are going in. Then another month you might only have a few rentals a week. And lets not forget the customers. They are the main reason I am so glad that we no longer do truck rental. After you go a few rounds with people about the truck being returned empty when it went out full, them trashing out the cab, and dropping off trucks in the middle of the night sometimes with damage, you will wonder is it all worth it for the small commision you get. When we got out of the truck side of self storage we said we would never work for a company that did trucks again.
              Never stop learning. Means we are still alive.

Comment

Originally posted by bratt01 View Post
                What the truck companies do is just a little part of what you will have to go through. One month you might be kept so busy that you meet yourself coming out the door as you are going in. Then another month you might only have a few rentals a week. And lets not forget the customers. They are the main reason I am so glad that we no longer do truck rental. After you go a few rounds with people about the truck being returned empty when it went out full, them trashing out the cab, and dropping off trucks in the middle of the night sometimes with damage, you will wonder is it all worth it for the small commision you get. When we got out of the truck side of self storage we said we would never work for a company that did trucks again.
                We stopped U-Haul earlier this year. 0 regrets (one of our competitors also does storage and quit U-Haul last year, they told me also 0 regrets)

Comment

So this happened just this week in my area. Glad I'm not a dealer anymore, this stuff happened all the time, just never made it on the news:

http://www.khq.com/story/36213904/mo...s-bank-account

Comment

The best in our area is the Penske crew.

Comment

Can you be a U-Haul dealer AND a Penkse Dealer at the same location?

Comment

Havn't had experience with Penske but I have/do work with Budget and Uhaul between the sites I'm at. Between the two U-haul is by far the clear winner. Few years ago we were a test site in FL for Budget for a national company and we had them less than a year before we packed up their equipment and kicked them to the curb due to their company belief that "overbooking" is normal. When I have 1 truck and you send 15 people to me that same day all expecting to get it.. yeah not worth the headaches. Just transferred to a site we do budget at and they still overbook, still have horrible trucks and still have this NOISY old school printer. Why they can't embrace technology and go digital like U-haul has is beyond me.

U-haul really comes down to who your AFM is, i've dealt with 4 so far between TX and CA and my current one in CA is by far the greatest guy to deal with. We get rentals, get reviews, and no complaints so he doesn't bother us. He'll pop in the once every 90 days like he's required to do and we sit and chit chat about the industry and what not. We don't clean to their "standards" but we do clean as needed and he doesn't harp on us about it. We switched away from their storage software to sitelink and we don't get him trying to push us to get back on it. He knows theirs is garbage and doesn't waste our time unlike all my former AFM's who would spend half their visits trying to convince us to switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmer1001 View Post
                          I believe you sign an agreement that you will only represent one company. An exclusivity clause.
                          Tall Terri

The customer's fantasy doesn't always match with reality!

Comment

Originally posted by Timmer1001 View Post
                            I would say NO.
                            It's a conflict of interest in the truck business!
                            Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X