Back-to-School Charity Drives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back-to-School Charity Drives

Is anyone participating in a drive for school supplies? Tell us about it.
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

We support a Stuff the Bus campaign that the local Staples organizes. It's been very successful and encourages others to support the campaign as well be they other business or people in the community. As a by product, it get's our name out there and also gets us advertised in the local Staples store year round. I've definitely heard people acknowledge us because of this throughout the year.

Comment

Not involved with it but I think it is a crying shame that some parents can't afford school supplies. Too much money out there for kids to do without for the basics. I also think it is CRAP if a teacher has to pay out of their own pocket for things they need to help with in the teaching process. I have, at times, heard parents talk with their kids at the counter about needing to go buy supplies. I have donated to that purchase when I heard about it. I offer free golf cart rides to tenant's kids whenever they show up, some I do daily, and I ask about things like that when I am on the rides.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Madman, that's great! Community marketing is still one of the best types of advertising. Another way operators can help is to simply put out a box and request supplies. You can then take them to a local school or find a campaign like Stuff the Bus.

I agree it's a shame that children don't always have all the necessities they need. My cousin is a teacher and she spends a lot of her own money for basic classroom essentials. It's important we support students and our local schools anyway we can.
        Amy Campbell
        Editor
        Inside Self-Storage
        [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

Oh yeah, I spent some buck on the kids when I was an assistant teacher. I felt it was worth it, but it seems like the state spends so much money 'per student' and the parent still has to pony up for supplies-it's pretty outrageous.
          Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Each year we participate in the Mayor's Backpack Give A Way. Usually the Pepsi company provides 100's of backpacks with their logo & the City's logo for the kids. The parents with their children pick up the backpacks and then visit all of the vendors tables and pick up school supplies. Vendors usually include hair cut places, dentists, cell phone companies, us, etc, whomever wants to pay the nominal fee to have a table and pass out school supplies.
            The future depends on what you do in the present.

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinNC View Post
              Oh yeah, I spent some buck on the kids when I was an assistant teacher. I felt it was worth it, but it seems like the state spends so much money 'per student' and the parent still has to pony up for supplies-it's pretty outrageous.
              Yes, and I have yet to hear of a state that spends that money wisely, "per student", and comes up every year with a new need for money. Each and every single year, "We need more money and then we can get these kids thru school and get our graduation rates up". Then the numbers come out and guess what, they need more money.
              "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

I am hoping to do something here at the facility. It was easy when I worked in retail, we just asked people to donate some school supplies, rung up the supplies, gathered it and took it into the school or charity drive. It will be a lot harder to get our tenants involved, but hopefully we can make a donation to one of our local drives.

Comment

calebtthomas Signage!! You can also send an email to your current and local tenants requesting supplies. Perhaps you can put a "Back-to-School" jar on the counter and ask tenants for a few bucks or spare change. Then you can purchase some products and make a donation.

I'm so happy to see so many operators involved!
                  Amy Campbell
                  Editor
                  Inside Self-Storage
                  [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

Amy_ISS I didn't even know we could do this! LOL!

Great ideas everyone. Keep them coming.
                    Stephanie Tharpe
                    President
                    A+ Management Group, LP
                    Nashville, TN
                    www,aplusmanagementgroup.com

TNSSA Board of Directors
                    www.tnssa.net

Comment

Remember I'm semi-retired but this is what we did. We put on BBQs, concerts, did raffle tickets and all sorts of stuff during the summer to raise funds. Then we would work with our partner department store to provide a backpack (store provided) full of school supplies (we bought the supplies and stuffed) and we'd take a couple hundred kids on a back to school clothes shopping trip. Those were the best times.

Our last year doing it, one young lady showed up and no one knew who she was with, so we asked. She was 14-15 years old. She told us;"when I was little my parents couldn't afford new things and you took me shopping. When I heard about the event this year I just wanted to come help." I still get goosebumps remembering this story, such a sweet kid. She ended up studying hard and received several scholarships too.
                      Gina 6k
                      twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
                      VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
                      [email protected]

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
                      I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

Comment

Originally posted by Amy_ISS View Post
                        calebtthomas Signage!! You can also send an email to your current and local tenants requesting supplies. Perhaps you can put a "Back-to-School" jar on the counter and ask tenants for a few bucks or spare change. Then you can purchase some products and make a donation.

I'm so happy to see so many operators involved!
                        I agree. However, we get less than 30 people in our office a month. I will talk with the owners and see how they want to do it. We may just make a all out donation of supplies from the business alone.

Comment

I had looked into starting this, as the area we are in could probably really benefit from it. I am looking into pairing with a local church or similar organization, possibly providing short term storage for the event. The only issue is I thought of this a little late for the area we are in. We are only a month out from school starting. I believe that this will be a next years project for me, though I am starting to talk to organizations now in preparation. I like every detail laid out and full organization. Most of the churches already do similar things and news outlets like to cover these types of events.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• AngelaESSTX
                            Reply to Pet Peeves
                            by AngelaESSTX
                            HAHA! It's probably for the best. You'd have animals running to you, to munch on your feet ...
                            Today, 07:24 PM
                          • AngelaESSTX
                            Reply to Google Review
                            by AngelaESSTX
                            Eek! Yeah, lesson learned! Or maybe switch to text instead of calls for that. I know it is hard to get them to even sign the vacate notice sometimes and I have to email them to reply and give me notice....
                            Today, 07:16 PM
                          • Bella_Lindemann
                            Reply to Google Review
                            by Bella_Lindemann
                            That's usually what we do too. I let her give me the new address verbally because she was on her way out of town. Won't make that mistake again....
                            Today, 06:43 PM
                          Working...
                          X