Ancillary Sales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancillary Sales

Many operators sell locks and packing supplies. Some even offer truck rentals. If there were no obstacles, what ancillary product or service do you think would do well in your market?
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

I have thought long and hard about this. Copy center? No. P.O. boxes? No. Desiccant kits? No. The desiccant kits, I know I could sell bunches but the owner doesn't want to do it. I thought about storage "pods" but that was a no go. What I found a need for, but would never charge for it, is my expertise with vehicle repairs and maintenance knowledge because the tenants that know of my background pick my brain all the time. I now have my ASE Master Certified Tech and ASE Certified Service Consultant certificates displayed and I offer the info to all comers, at no charge. The owner has no problem with it because I have helped them lots of times with their own vehicles. I already do it and 3 different vehicle forums. Helps when I am bored around here. I have a couple of shops that I know take care of customers without over selling them. Basically the owner is satisfied with being full and selling locks and lock cuts.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Not in my submarket but....units by the hour in some Charlotte markets would sell great....and all the "items" that would go along with it if you follow. Before anyone jumps one me, and just to be super clear, I'm neither condoning or suggesting that anyone do this, nor would we EVER allow such a thing. Just saying it would work if there were no obstacles in the way.
      Chasing Perfection to catch Excellence

Comment

In another thread I posted about a young couple that advertised on CL for that same thing. Wonder's never ever cease.

Comment

Originally posted by Advantage IT View Post
          Not in my submarket but....units by the hour in some Charlotte markets would sell great....and all the "items" that would go along with it if you follow. Before anyone jumps one me, and just to be super clear, I'm neither condoning or suggesting that anyone do this, nor would we EVER allow such a thing. Just saying it would work if there were no obstacles in the way.
          OMG! I am cracking up AIT!! I was thinking if instead of a coffee bar, we opened a REAL bar, that would go over great!! Seriously. And why not? We are already "bartenders" anyway listening to everyone's stories.

We could call it Drink and Stor - Neighborhood Storage and Saloon.
          Stephanie Tharpe
          President
          A+ Management Group, LP
          Nashville, TN
          www,aplusmanagementgroup.com

TNSSA Board of Directors
          www.tnssa.net

Comment

Originally posted by MusicCity Gal View Post

OMG! I am cracking up AIT!! I was thinking if instead of a coffee bar, we opened a REAL bar, that would go over great!! Seriously. And why not? We are already "bartenders" anyway listening to everyone's stories.

We could call it Drink and Stor - Neighborhood Storage and Saloon.
            MusicCity Gal What would prevent US from drinking after hearing all of the stories

I am a notary and even though I don't charge for the service it might be an option for a service. To be perfectly honest it's been a year and I haven't advertised or notarized anything yet. I am super nervous that I will do something wrong. I took the classes but dealing with legal stuff worries me.
            The future depends on what you do in the present.

Comment

Stumble Inn Storage........Store Your Woes and Your Clothes

Comment

Originally posted by Advantage IT View Post
                What could ever go wrong with renting a storage unit by the hour? Be specific lol.

Comment

Storage by the hour would be for someone to perform "special ancillary services" lol

Comment

In Charlotte with new zoning we almost have the Drink and Stor with retail/restaurants on the bottom/ground floor and storage above.
                    In Colorado they have the same thing in Fort Collins with a combo Micro Brewery and Storage in the same building.

It's not so far fetched so...CHEERS and Bottoms Up!
                    Chasing Perfection to catch Excellence

Comment

Amy_ISS Sorry if this thread took on a whole new direction LOL. BUT, it IS funny stuff.

We like to have fun in storage.
                      Stephanie Tharpe
                      President
                      A+ Management Group, LP
                      Nashville, TN

TNSSA Board of Directors
                      www.tnssa.net

Comment

WEll, Amy did take away all the stock answers in her post. We had to get creative. Then we all gravitated toward booze. What does that tell ya?!

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                          WEll, Amy did take away all the stock answers in her post. We had to get creative. Then we all gravitated toward booze. What does that tell ya?!
                          LOL! Right?
                          Stephanie Tharpe
                          President
                          A+ Management Group, LP
                          Nashville, TN

TNSSA Board of Directors
                          www.tnssa.net

Comment

Just think of all the fun we could have with a mystery shopper if we had a little drinkey or two at work to "settle" the nerves.

Comment

Has anyone had success with mailboxes, mobile storage or renting out their business/conference room?
                              Amy Campbell
                              Editor
                              Inside Self-Storage
                              [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• AngelaESSTX
                                Reply to Pet Peeves
                                by AngelaESSTX
                                HAHA! It's probably for the best. You'd have animals running to you, to munch on your feet ...
                                Today, 07:24 PM
                              • AngelaESSTX
                                Reply to Google Review
                                by AngelaESSTX
                                Eek! Yeah, lesson learned! Or maybe switch to text instead of calls for that. I know it is hard to get them to even sign the vacate notice sometimes and I have to email them to reply and give me notice....
                                Today, 07:16 PM
                              • Bella_Lindemann
                                Reply to Google Review
                                by Bella_Lindemann
                                That's usually what we do too. I let her give me the new address verbally because she was on her way out of town. Won't make that mistake again....
                                Today, 06:43 PM
                              Working...
                              X