Website Accessible to the Blind

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Website Accessible to the Blind

Hello. I am interested to see how many of you have websites that are accessible to the blind? If not how many plan to change theirs so it will be accessible? Thoughts?

I believe any web site unless it is picture based would be accessible to the blind. And any web site with good SEO is not picture based. Windows has a built in feature to read text on web sites to people who are blind. Were you referring to something different?

Comment

Scott Zucker had an article that he wrote discussing a business that had a lawsuit filed against it and lost because of their website not being accessible to the blind. I am checking with my website designer to see what it will take to make mine accessible.

Comment

Weird. Every computer now has technology to read every screen. So, if they are saying that it was not accessible to the blind, they may not have the proper set up on their system. (not the company's fault) -

Comment

Originally posted by Tercelet1 View Post
          Weird. Every computer now has technology to read every screen. So, if they are saying that it was not accessible to the blind, they may not have the proper set up on their system. (not the company's fault) -
          Lawsuits have been filed. Companies have lost other have agreed to a settlement.

Comment

It is my understanding that our websites might have to be adjusted to meet the ADA requirements. They might have to include SCREEN READERS and possible Close Caption for Videos from my understanding. I did read that The Department of Justice is suppose to release its updated ADA guidelines some time this year.

I am just trying to get a head start on checking into it and always find all of you extremely helpful.

Comment

The best things to do from research I have done is use contrasting colors, large text, be careful on color choices as some may make things more difficult to read and font choice is important for clarity. Videos wouldn't affect them unless they are word based or can not be enlarged. There are no 100% specific guidelines yet, because there are varying levels of blindness.

Comment

screen readers are automatically there on most new devices. Windows has them built in, apple and androids also have this technology.

Comment

also speak to your web designer about utilizing mobile screens even from desktops, it is possible and usually more functional for the visually challenged. I hope this helps some.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X