Announcement

Collapse

New Membership Approvals

Happy holidays! We're thrilled you want to be a part of Self-Storage Talk. Please be patient with us as the registration make take longer to process during this joyful time of year. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
See more
See less

Refusal to rent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refusal to rent

What's a tactful and respectful way to refuse to do a rental? This can be with a former tenant that was auctioned or there were issues with. Or a customer that you're just getting a bad vibe from.

I will tell a person who has the balls to return after we sent them to auction that we don't re-rent to auctioned tenants. That's easy.

For the creepsters and tweakers, say you are full. Bonus points if you can get their name for your "wait list" and look up criminal record.

If I know someone has a record and they aren't falling for the "we're full" line, I'll tell people we don't rent to tenants with felony convictions. I can look someone up pretty quickly and we have a shared document of DNRs (do not rent people) that have been banned for auction or criminal activity as well. In the end, we have the right to refuse service to anyone. It's no fun to tell someone to their face that you don't trust them, but it's worth avoiding the headache of having them as a tenant in the end.
    Give them an inch, they'll take a mile!

Comment

Those that have been auctioned before get told that's the reason I will not rent to them. Watch out for the ones that try to "beat the system" though. I had one girl who had been auctioned wanting to rent again and I told her "sorry, no" and she left. About 30 minutes, her very distinctive-looking friend came in to rent a unit. She parked in the lot next door to me and walked over. I recognized her as the driver of the car when the first girl came in. I denied her as well.
      For the weirdos (I had one of those yesterday) I sometimes use the "I'm full" line. Or if they are looking for a larger unit, I will only have a couple of very small units. Or vice versa with a wildly inflated rent amount. My weirdo from yesterday got an honest statement from; I'm not comfortable renting a unit to you because of the situation you just described to me. He had a few things to say about that but eventually left.
      Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

Auctioned customers are easier to get rid of with the lines above. We don't rent to auctioned customers. I did once after she paid her past due bill because I truly thought she was in a bad place and got behind. She rented and was a good customer, sometimes late but still good. I might do that again depending on what I put in the computer notes.

If you let them talk you can find out alot. When they tell me they have to store a 2 bedroom house I show them my 3x3x4 unit and tell them my other units are full. I kind of joke around with them and say "We're almost full which is nice for us because our occupancy is high but not so good for customers because there is not much of a selection of units. Can I take your phone or email and call you when I have something available?" Then throw that information in the circular file.
        The future depends on what you do in the present.

Comment

Had that a few weeks ago,
          I politely told him that he was on our do not rent list because of an outstanding balance.

Comment

Originally posted by Bella_Lindemann View Post
            What's a tactful and respectful way to refuse to do a rental? This can be with a former tenant that was auctioned or there were issues with. Or a customer that you're just getting a bad vibe from.
            Straightforward and the truth.
            It's your property and you are well within your right to refuse or accept to rent to anyone.

Period.
            No debate.
            No discussion.
            Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X