Lunch Breaks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lunch Breaks

I'm terrible about walking away from my desk to eat lunch. And it's a very bad habit. How about you? What's your lunch protocol?
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    amy.campbell@informa.com

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Because I don't close the office for lunch, I have to grab it when I can. I sometimes sit at my desk in the office, because I feel like I should. Or, because my laundry room separates the office from my apartment, I frequently use the top of the dryer as my "table". I am often interrupted, and it's not unusual to get back to a sandwich that now has dried out bread.
    Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

I eat at the front desk. I've only not eaten there a couple of times-once when the Uhaul rep took me out for lunch and the other I did the bank deposit and grabbed a meal while I was out.
      90% of what you're stressing about now won't even be relevant in a year. Breathe easy. ~Wesley Snipes

WA State

Comment

Like DG we have a kitchen behind office counter, sometimes eat at counter, sometimes at kitchen table, eat when I can.

Comment

I mostly eat in the kitchen in the apartment where I can see the front parking lot. Sometimes at my desk but I can see if someone pulls in and then I put it away real fast.

Comment

Owner operated, it's only me or my wife in the office any given day. We usually close for lunch for 30mins. It allows us to get lunch, make the bank deposit or anything else since everything is so close by.

As for eating, we eat at the front counter keeping the office open. Our office is tiny so not much options. Customers don't seem to mind, we are more laid back here. Sometimes customers will tell us to finish our lunch. Its a nice gesture, but kind of awkward. (sure, I'll sit here and polish off my double qtr pound cheeseburger while you sit 10ft away and read a magazine....lol)

Comment

Originally posted by letsgosonics View Post
              Owner operated, it's only me or my wife in the office any given day. We usually close for lunch for 30mins. It allows us to get lunch, make the bank deposit or anything else since everything is so close by.

As for eating, we eat at the front counter keeping the office open. Our office is tiny so not much options. Customers don't seem to mind, we are more laid back here. Sometimes customers will tell us to finish our lunch. Its a nice gesture, but kind of awkward. (sure, I'll sit here and polish off my double qtr pound cheeseburger while you sit 10ft away and read a magazine....lol)
              Right? We have a tiny office too, I just push the food to the side, deal with the customer and then return to my food.
              90% of what you're stressing about now won't even be relevant in a year. Breathe easy. ~Wesley Snipes

WA State

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinNC View Post

Right? We have a tiny office too, I just push the food to the side, deal with the customer and then return to my food.
                Cold food that is lol. It never fails, can be dead all day, then 1 minute after I start eating someone walks in and rents a unit.

Comment

I am the only one in the office most of the time. I have now started closing for 30 mins each day. I need some down time and uninterrupted time to have lunch. I feel so much better when I can have me time. It is not good to eat on the run.
                  Janice - Maxi-Space Storage and Business Solutions

Comment

I am lucky enough to have a "back" office, it is only thru a door from the "front" office!

I do take my lunch to the desk in the back office.
                    Too many times I have been eating at the front desk, someone walks in sneezing and coughing all the way in!
                    So yes, I eat in the back and stop eating if the phone rings or someone comes in the office.
                    I keep the door unlocked.

Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

We take lunch, we each get an hour, but the times when I can't I usually eat at the front desk. If someone comes in I put it away. If there are two of us here and I can't leave for whatever reason, I will eat in the bosses office and shut the door. We are pretty low key, we just try not to get anything on the computers!
                      "I don't understand your specific kind of crazy but I do admire your total commitment to it!"

Comment

I try not to eat at the desk, just so customers don't walk in while I have a mouth full of food. I have a break room right next to the desk that I eat in so I can hear the door or the phone. Very rarely do I go have a sit down somewhere.
                        A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Comment

UGH!! I encourage every one of my employees to lock up and leave for an hour to go get lunch. When I visit stores, I "make" them lock up and go LOL!

Believe me, I completely understand having to keep the doors open at all times and grabbing lunch when you can. I had to do it for years.

TN Fair Labor Law states if you work an 8 hour shift, you are entitled to one 30 minute break and TWO 15 minute breaks per 8 hour shift. I am not taking a chance on that.
                          Last edited by MusicCity Gal; 2nd July 2018, 01:47 PM.
                          Stephanie Tharpe
                          Senior VP of Operations
                          A+ Storage of Tennessee, LLC
                          Nashville, TN
                          http://www.aplustorage.com

TNSSA Board of Directors
                          www.tnssa.net

Comment

Originally posted by MusicCity Gal View Post
                            UGH!! I encourage every one of my employees to lock up and leave for an hour to go get lunch. When I visit stores, I "make" them lock up and go LOL!

Believe me, I completely understand having to keep the doors open at all times and grabbing lunch when you can. I had to do it for years.

TN Fair Labor Law states if you work an 8 hour shift, you are entitled to one 30 minute break and TWO 15 minute breaks per 8 hour shift. I am not taking a chance on that.
                            I work an 8 1/2 hour day, so technically I get a paid lunch, but I don't close down for it.

WA State

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinNC View Post

I work an 8 1/2 hour day, so technically I get a paid lunch, but I don't close down for it.
                              Are you paid for 8 and 1/2 hours daily???
                              Because if you are only being paid for 8 hours, start locking that door during your half hour lunch break.

Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Steve_hajewski
                                Reply to Powered stalls
                                by Steve_hajewski
                                I have some of them on my property. Each on a separate 20 amp breaker. I charge a $20 per month premium for the power. I have an automated kiosk for rentals but those units are blocked off in the management software so that you need to meet me to rent them.

So far those units have been...
                                Today, 03:15 PM
                              • KrisinNC
                                Reply to Powered stalls
                                by KrisinNC
                                That seems like a great idea-though place them somewhere they won't get damaged when a senior citizen inevitably knocks into one side of the other. I've had many phone calls for powered spaces so they can run dehumidifiers or a trickle charge for their battery....
                                Today, 03:04 PM
                              • KatherineAD
                                Reply to new to storage
                                by KatherineAD
                                No. I write for those magazines and blogs, and of course I belong to SSA!
                                Today, 02:46 PM
                              Working...
                              X