Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Police K-9's on property?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Police K-9's on property?

    Has anyone else ever allowed the police to bring their K-9 partners on the property for training purposes? If so, did it go over well with your clientele? And, did the dogs find anything other than their training material? Just wondering?

  • #2
    I know this subject has been spoken about in the past here in the forums.

    Did you run a search and see what people were saying?

    I have not had any such thing and I would let them if asked and also if I had the permission from my home office.
    Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

    Comment


    • #3
      We have had them here before. I think we had 6 different agencies come all at once. It was a fun day but with it rained hard so it hampered efforts a little. The dogs did not find anything (we had a couple units we suspected) but it was fun none-the-less. We didn't tell tenants they were coming (but it's in our lease that law enforcement may conduct random checks of our facility). Worked well, need to do it again

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by letsgosonics View Post
        We have had them here before. I think we had 6 different agencies come all at once. It was a fun day but with it rained hard so it hampered efforts a little. The dogs did not find anything (we had a couple units we suspected) but it was fun none-the-less. We didn't tell tenants they were coming (but it's in our lease that law enforcement may conduct random checks of our facility). Worked well, need to do it again
        Is it a requirement that it be in your lease or did you all do that yourself? Our owner has just given permission for us to allow them to come on the property to conduct "training" for their K-9's. Thinking about making it known that this will be happening occasionally and randomly to all our new tenants or prospects. Maybe that way we could could trouble makers out in the first place.

        Comment


        • #5
          I have two local police that rent here. I proposed a K-9 training session to them. Satellites linked up and the powers that be contacted me after about 3 weeks. They have been doing the K-9 training here twice a year. Other facilities have as well. So far only one hit on a unit besides the normal training "plant of evidence". I contacted the tenant and told him of what took place. I said I either need him to open the unit for my inspection, no police, or he could move out. He did have two trash bags of pot in there. Legal in Oregon now but not legal federally.

          What took place next will surprise a lot of you because of what you think of me. I told him that the dogs come 2 times a year and I can also get them here with a call if needed. I said remove the pot and sign a document about what happened and what our agreement is. He said ok, never pays late and is still here 1.5 years later. Never a hit again on his unit, or any others for that matter.
          "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by 10x10oven View Post

            Is it a requirement that it be in your lease or did you all do that yourself? Our owner has just given permission for us to allow them to come on the property to conduct "training" for their K-9's. Thinking about making it known that this will be happening occasionally and randomly to all our new tenants or prospects. Maybe that way we could could trouble makers out in the first place.
            We choose to put it in our lease just for that reason. It's our property/facility, our rules. A tenant is not required to be here when we do random K9's, but by adding it to our lease allows us to conduct such activity at any time of our choosing. It also protects us that if anything ever goes wrong or a tenant may be involved in illegal activity or their unit goes to auction and we notice illegal items in the unit upon inspection (this happened at our 1st auction), then it gives us protection and allows law enforcement to come and inspect if needed without breaking the law.

            Comment


            • #7
              I love the idea!!

              Comment


              • #8
                We've invited the local PD to train their K9's here several times and they have done it three times. All three times they brought in several dogs from several local departments. They planted various substances in empty storage units, wait 5-10 minutes then walk the dogs around. They found every one. One time a dog stopped at a unit then moved on so they asked me about the tenant. It was a friend who I am confident is clean and told them such. They said "Don't worry about it, it was a soft hit so we're not concerned, it could have been some odd chemical."

                We took pictures each time and have those pictures posted in our office for everyone to see. We even have a letter of thanks signed by several agencies. This is a deterrent to people storing drugs with us and we've had a few ask about the pictures and then decline to store with us so it must work.

                One time we had a suspicion that a guy was storing drugs so we mailed a letter to everyone in that building to tell them that police K9 units will be training at our facility "in the next few weeks." That guy moved out 3 days later. LOL!

                It's good community relations to work well with the police and the pictures help deter crime around our units. It's a win for everyone (except the drug dealers).

                Comment


                • #9
                  I gotta start doing the pics of this in my office.
                  "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Update..... We have had the police here for "training" now. The dog was great! And so were the three officers! They not only found their stuff, but, hit on several other units. They asked about those tenants and were really interested in one of them. Thought they would have been back by now with a search warrant, but, they have not. We will call them I think to see what is up? Anyway, just wanted to give an update to those who commented. Thanks!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I think this is a great idea to have the dogs train at the facility. I would love to have FLEX come to my locations.
                      Dave (Woodee) Scott

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Dave Scott View Post
                        I think this is a great idea to have the dogs train at the facility. I would love to have FLEX come to my locations.
                        Flex and his Live-PD K-9 friends can come here anytime they want. Hell, make a show out of it.
                        "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Did a search and found this thread.

                          Does there have to be something in your lease that says that police dogs train at the facility? Do you have to post a notice so customers know?
                          I know that I might have to contact the legal team.

                          What if they are training and hit on a customer's unit? Then what?
                          Last edited by Iamkathleenj; 8 January 2021, 04:41 PM.
                          The future depends on what you do in the present.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Iamkathleenj View Post
                            Did a search and found this thread.

                            Does there have to be something in your lease that says that police dogs train at the facility? Do you have to post a notice so customers know?
                            I know that I might have to contact the legal team.

                            What if they are training and hit on a customer's unit? Then what?
                            It's not in our lease but we've had them come twice from local PD and surrounding. If they hit on a unit, they will still need a search warrant to get into it. I wouldn't notify the tenant only because it would tip them off before a warrant could be issued. We've never had any issues here, to date.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Interesting this thread popped up. I've had this thought recently to deter the bad apples storing with us. We are going to give it a try.

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X