Moss

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moss

I am looking for suggestions for removing moss. I have several buildings that are primarily in the shade and I have TONS of moss growing as a result. Some of them even sprout little plant like things. I have tried weed killer (doesn't work); any advice other than getting on my hands and knees and scraping it up is appreciated.

I use a long poll and a hook. Scrape then sweep the mess. As far as keeping it from coming back I used my weed killer thoroughly soaking around all buildings. Then I salt the same area. It kept it back this year. Once it gets to the stage you have all you can do is hook it.

Comment

Moss-B-Gone kills it and prevents it. Shake it all over it just before a rain and can even use powdered soap. Moss on the ground can kill with bleach. Mix a 50/50% mix with water and spray on the moss. Moss-B-Gone directions on the can.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

My husband uses the Costco size Tide powdered laundry detergent. Or Moss B Gone depending on sale pricing. Both works about the same.You cant just sprinkle it on there though, you gotta get in there with a stiff bristle brush and really get it spread down deep into the moss to be effective. You still have to scrap off the deadened moss ( or use a pressure washer) Now is the time of year we do preventative maintenance and sprinkle it around those hot spots to try and keep it from coming back.
        You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

I've heard benzalkonium chloride used for moss killer (it might be in commercial applications). Be careful, though, it is a severe irritant; it can be painful if it blows into your eyes or into the air and you breathe it, and it doesn't take much.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
            Moss-B-Gone kills it and prevents it. Shake it all over it just before a rain and can even use powdered soap. Moss on the ground can kill with bleach. Mix a 50/50% mix with water and spray on the moss. Moss-B-Gone directions on the can.
            Is that stuff chlorine based???

Comment

You can use outdoor bleach from the hardware store or you can also use 12.5% chlorine and mix it with some dawn dish soap and water to weaken it. You can apply it with a pressure washer with a downstream injector or a pump up sprayer. Depending on the surface you are treating will dictate how strong your solution needs to be. On concrete you will want about a 50/50 strength, on metal or other materials it can be weakened significantly.

Moss can be tough to kill, once you spray on the detergents you need to wait about 15 minutes, it is important that the area stays wet that entire time. You can reapply a second and or third coat to keep it moist. After a little time the moss will start to die and change color to almost white. Once it has changed color you can remove it with out a bunch of work, low pressure on the pressure washer, or a garden hose and a deck scrub will be sufficient.

Comment

I cant use anything chlorine based because it will eat my asphalt. Any other ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by badgorillawife View Post
                  I cant use anything chlorine based because it will eat my asphalt. Any other ideas?
                  Well you cant use chlorox because it has sodium hydroxide in it which breaks down asphalt, but chlorine itself should not break it down. So if you make your own you should be ok.

Comment

You can use a combination of Moss B Gone, Dishsoap and Lime to kill and then prevent moss building up on roofs. You can find several articles by googling those terms and moss.

Comment

Originally posted by Madman View Post
                      You can use a combination of Moss B Gone, Dishsoap and Lime to kill and then prevent moss building up on roofs. You can find several articles by googling those terms and moss.
                      You have moss building up on your roofs? Is this an area with a lot of mature trees? If so you may want to look into trimming them back

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X