Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you guys do your own past due collection or have some other company do it for you?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you guys do your own past due collection or have some other company do it for you?

I just received (a spam) email that offered collection services for our past due accounts. Here's the link to their offering. (Moderator, if it's not allowed, I can remove it.)

So I'm curious, do you guys do your own past due collection process, or do you outsource it to someone else?

Can you also share your reasons as well.

I send "Crooked Nose" Tony and his boys for collections.

Reason: It's a "family thing".
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

We do our own collections, I try to call atleast 2x a week to collect. Of course, we have that group of tenants who are late every single month and there's nothing we can do about that except collect the late fees- which is OK with me because that means more money for our business. We rely on google texting for courtesy reminders for upcoming due dates-and found that the customers (especially the millennial and thirty somethings) really like the reminders. Our delinquency rate is very low because of it. Almost every single person we text says thanks for the reminder, thanks for saving me a late fee!
      You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about collections from tenants that moved out owing money or still owed after an auction. If that is the case we do not send people to collections for that because I haven't had anyone move out owing money or an auction going on 2 years. If you are talking about late fees, I don't call to remind them. They are 18 and an adult. They need to be an adult and pay on time or get late fees. If I have a great tenant that I see has not paid yet and close to late fee, I will call and/or text them about that.
        "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by wc1974 View Post
          We do our own collections, I try to call atleast 2x a week to collect. Of course, we have that group of tenants who are late every single month and there's nothing we can do about that except collect the late fees- which is OK with me because that means more money for our business. We rely on google texting for courtesy reminders for upcoming due dates-and found that the customers (especially the millennial and thirty somethings) really like the reminders. Our delinquency rate is very low because of it. Almost every single person we text says thanks for the reminder, thanks for saving me a late fee!
          Hah, interesting. Can you please elaborate on the Google texting thing? We were trying to set up texting via our accounting software but they want too much money for it so the owner doesn't want to do it.

We do call our late people like you do, but again the ad was offering to do it for us. That's why I was curious.

Comment

I sent you a private message on those details bnr_manager
            You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

Wow, that is really awesome. Thanks, wc1974

I just signed up for Google Voice and was able to send and receive text messages to my own cell phone. I need to do some more playing around with it, but it looks like we'll be able to use it for texting. And the most awesome part -- it's totally free!

I have a couple of questions about that service though:

1. Is there a separate Windows app that we can use to view incoming and outgoing text messages with, kinda like Outlook Mail app but for Google Voice? Or do you have it open in a web browser.

2. I'm assuming that you can't use your main facility number to text from, is there? I ended up getting some random number when I signed up for Google Voice.

Comment

#1 Yes,I think you have to have the web browser open to view it. You can always print out the conversation if needed for their file for reference. And #2, that's correct, that's why we identify ourselves at the beginning of the text because our tenants wont recognize the number. One thing it does that I wasnt aware of until recently- it actually calls land lines and leaves a sort of automated "voicemail" of the text typed. I had a few folks call me, confused by the call they got from Google on their landline.

Comment

One thing it does that I wasnt aware of until recently- it actually calls land lines and leaves a sort of automated "voicemail" of the text typed. I had a few folks call me, confused by the call they got from Google on their landline.
                  Oh, you mean if you send a text message to some phone number that cannot receive texts (like a land line) the Google Voice service will call it and read the text message for them, correct?

Comment

Yes, thats what I meant :-)

Comment

Yes, thats what I meant :-)
                      Thanks.

Comment

This Google text thing sounds pretty fantastic! Could you please send me some info as well? TIA wc1974!
                        AmyLou

Comment

I make "courtesy calls" to my delinquent tenants.

We also use storEDGE which has the capability to SMS (short message service)
                          storEDGE will also auto send an SMS to remind the tenants that their rent is due each and every month.
                          Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

lady5563 yeah, if the accounting software provides it, that would be an ideal solution. Unfortunately it usually comes with a hefty charge for something that should be next to free. (A separate SMS service called Twilio charges close to $0.0075 per SMS, which is close to being free. That is just for a comparison.) I don't know about storeEdge software and how much they charge for that service though.

AmyLou the service is called Google Voice. It's free. You just need your gmail account. Sign in with it, here's the link:
                            https://voice.google.com/messages

Then you will need to pick a phone number for texting and if you want, connect your business line to it. (This will forward all incoming calls to that new number to be routed to your business line.) The only tricky part (for me) was picking the phone number for texting as there were none available in the city we were in, so I had to pick from a nearby location. Then when it's all set up you can send and receive texts with it. You will send them from a web browser (link above) and when you receive a reply the Google Voice service will send you an email with the notification.

Here's how the UI looks like in a web browser:

So far I really like the service, except these points:

1. It's a free service, so there's no guarantee that Google will keep it in a long run.

2. There's no API to automate sending and receiving these text messages. It's just a web interface in a web browser. (This means that there's no designated app to do this. An app kinda like your Outlook mail program, etc.)

3. I would also not be sending any confidential info in those text messages as, like I said above, it's a free service so there's no guarantee for anything.
                            Last edited by bnr_manager; Yesterday, 08:41 PM.

Comment

We use it here too. The manager prior to me had trained the tenants to respond to payment requests through text. It works wonderfully.
                              I want buns of steel.
                              I also want buns of cinnamon.

Newcastle, WA

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• pacnwstorage
                                Reply to Military Customer ?
                                pacnwstorage
                                So, is that saying the facility cannot enforce a lien and the fees associated with a lien but late fees and locking the unit is ok as long as contents are not sold during the outlined time frame? I can understand not selling contents but the fees should not be waved when they come back to either catch...
                                Today, 04:46 PM
                              • SCRACVS
                                Reply to Military Customer ?
                                SCRACVS
                                The SCRA reads as follows: 3958. Enforcement of storage liens
                                (a) Liens
                                (1) Limitation on foreclosure or enforcement
                                A person holding a lien on the property or effects of a servicemember may not, during any period of military service of the servicemember and for 90 days thereafter,...
                                Today, 04:30 PM
                              • janahaecherl
                                Reply to Introducing SPACE Water - LOL!
                                janahaecherl
                                Well done. As a renter, I'd LOVE to snag one of these. I'd probably start a U-Lock Mini Storage water bottle collection or share it on social media....
                                Today, 04:30 PM
                              Working...
                              X