Announcement

Collapse

New Membership Approvals

Happy holidays! We're thrilled you want to be a part of Self-Storage Talk. Please be patient with us as the registration make take longer to process during this joyful time of year. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
See more
See less

Bad Tenants....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Tenants....

So when we first opened (September this year) I had a couple come in and want to rent our smallest unit. then they decided two days later they needed another 6x5, ok. I told them it would be cheaper if they just got the next size up, but they didn't want to do that. They said they would rent from me for 6 months. Everything was fine for a bit. Then they were coming to their unit for 6 hours at a time and at all hours of the night. They left a van here full of JUNK! Almost had a tow truck come get it, but they got here in time. I didn't have proof of it, but I'm sure it was them who littered batteries, lighters, trash, even had went to the bathroom outside behind the building. I wanted to get rid of them so many times, but I was told by my boss their money is green. I think they only paid on time once. There was other stuff that would go on as well.

We decided to visit with our county sheriff's department and give them an access code in case they ever had to get into our building. I also in turn told them about our fun tenants that are there for hours on end, and mind you this couple both have an extensive record and both have suspended driver's licenses, the guy will never get his back in MN. So they thanked us for the code and when they had someone over our way they would check on the building.

Yesterday was a great day though! I had been trying to get a hold of this couple leaving VM, sending emails, got nothing back. Their one unit was empty and the other had a few things left in it. Finally she emails me back this "They are empty, we moved our belong8ng due tobthw hurrassment of thepolice there." I told her I wanted to make sure since there was a few things left (its seriously junk though) and that I noticed the one unit they had taken a screw out of the wall tried to replace it and added another flat head to our wall. Also that I had no idea the police were out there, both the police and tenants never said anything to us. I didn't tell her this but, I looked at the security cameras as well and never saw any law enforcement...Doesn't even matter because they are GONE! I'm soo happy! Plus yesterday we became part of the city of commerce and had a ribbon cutting and I got a few more tenants signed up! Also networked with a guy in the commerce who's wife's company needs a warehouse, which we have and need a tenant, so I am talking with her. It was a great day!

What is your bad tenant experiences??

Glad they are gone. With the screw incident that makes me wonder if they were trying to access another unit to see if there was anything they could steal. IMHO, no tenant like that is worth the money they pay you for rent. Even if it's late and includes late fees. You are much better off ridding yourself of any tenant that behaves this way, especially being a brand new facility. All that tenant will do is give you a bad reputation and keep honest tenants away.
    Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

With the list of bad tenants we have seen this will be the biggest thread very soon. I would hope your lease says something about the tenant limiting time at the unit(s). Where was the van left? On the facility? Outside the facility in parking? Tow it and never look back. What are your gate hours? Please don't say you have 24/7 access!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That BOSS needs a wake up call if he/she cares only about the money and not about yours and the facility safety and cleanliness. Good call on getting with the sheriff.

It seems that some owners feel that all they have to do is "Build it and they will come" but need to know that they will not stay if you have crappy tenants for the rest to deal with.
      Last edited by pacnwstorage; 6th December 2018, 01:24 PM.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by DairyGirl View Post
        Glad they are gone. With the screw incident that makes me wonder if they were trying to access another unit to see if there was anything they could steal. IMHO, no tenant like that is worth the money they pay you for rent. Even if it's late and includes late fees. You are much better off ridding yourself of any tenant that behaves this way, especially being a brand new facility. All that tenant will do is give you a bad reputation and keep honest tenants away.
        Yeah, they cut it close each time. They went over the late fee time, but I was told not to charge them! UGH I'm not the boss though....I'm pretty sure they were and did steal stuff from other places. I found her on FB trying to sell 3 new smart phones for $40 each or all 3 for $100....I so wanted to comment on her post and be like ya gonna use that money to pay rent lol

Happy they are gone and no other tenants ran into them or knew about them!

Comment

With that owner you will have a hard time there. Collecting no late fees means no motivation to pay on time, AT ALL, and the word will get around. I would bet some other tenants knew about them but have not said anything to you about it. Good luck, you will need it. That owner will be hard to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
            With the list of bad tenants we have seen this will be the biggest thread very soon. I would hope your lease says something about the tenant limiting time at the unit(s). Where was the van left? On the facility? Outside the facility in parking? Tow it and never look back. What are your gate hours? Please don't say you have 24/7 access!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That BOSS needs a wake up call if he/she cares only about the money and not about yours and the facility safety and cleanliness. Good call on getting with the sheriff.

It seems that some owners feel that all they have to do is "Build it and they will come" but need to know that they will not stay if you have crappy tenants for the rest to deal with.
            It only says that you can't live in it. The van was left right in front of the access door. We do have that stated in the contract that if a vehicle is left there it will be towed at the vehicle owner's expense. We don't have a gate, it's a building on the property where his construction business is on too so it's very open. Also, he wanted to have it a 24/7 access.......Bossman really does not care I feel...

When these people first came, I had to figure out our lights in the building, separate issue, but when I came out to tell them it was figured out and they could start moving in, I know they were doing drugs in their van....I stayed away from it and just yelled to them to go ahead. and this was after work hours, but bossman told them they could come and knew I would be the only one here....I refuse to be the only one here if they want to come in after 5.

That is totally the mind set he has!! Once the building was up and actually ready he was like where is everyone, why don't you have all of them full yet....Maybe cuz you won't let me advertise!

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
              With that owner you will have a hard time there. Collecting no late fees means no motivation to pay on time, AT ALL, and the word will get around. I would bet some other tenants knew about them but have not said anything to you about it. Good luck, you will need it. That owner will be hard to work with.
              Yes it is very much so....One day it is ok for someone to do something the next it isn't. And if you suggest something its silly, unless later on he comes up with this "great" idea (yours)

Comment

If I were you, I'd start looking for another job. With no consistency, there is going to be nothing but problems there. Tenants are going to get mad at you if you make them pay a late fee when they didn't have to last time. Like Pac said, word will get around. And, with 24-hr access on the same site as a construction business, I wouldn't be surprised if equipment/other things started disappearing. Sounds like a horrible place to work.
                Last edited by DairyGirl; 6th December 2018, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Yes, I really am. I'm trying to find a new job with the same or better pay/benefits and around this area. Gotta find the right fit before I jump ship here. There are many things that happen here that I don't agree with. I don't understand how he keeps things going around here or even keep workers. The only reason I'm staying here until I get a good job is because of medical and student loans I have to pay, and I have a Roth IRA taken out each month...I wanna keep up with that.

I feel like from the things I've read on here my boss would have been shut down by now if we were anywhere else...

Comment

Originally posted by allycat2323 View Post
                    Yes, I really am. I'm trying to find a new job with the same or better pay/benefits and around this area. Gotta find the right fit before I jump ship here. There are many things that happen here that I don't agree with. I don't understand how he keeps things going around here or even keep workers. The only reason I'm staying here until I get a good job is because of medical and student loans I have to pay, and I have a Roth IRA taken out each month...I wanna keep up with that.

I feel like from the things I've read on here my boss would have been shut down by now if we were anywhere else...
                    Good luck to you

Comment

Yes, good luck. Get out asap and don't look back. That bossman is going to cause you grief on top of the tenants causing you grief. No fencing, no gates, 24/7 access and tenants from hell. Not worth it.

Comment

Good luck and get out!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X