Declutter Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Declutter Advice

Just scrolling through my Twitter feed and I see a ton of great content from operators on decluttering and how storage can help. Do you offer your tenants guidance on how to properly pack their unit to get the most out of the space? Have you written a blog or shared a post on social media about getting organized?

Twitter clutter post 2.jpg
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    amy.campbell@informa.com

@AmyCampbell_ISS

I become a lot more helpful with advising people on how to fit their things into a smaller unit when all I have to rent is smaller units.

Normally, I ask people if they're going to come back and visit their items periodically or just shove it in and only come back to move it out. At that point my approach changes, it's very handy to be able to build in an aisle down the middle of the unit for people that are going to need to get to stuff, requiring a larger unit. If you're touring Europe for the next 2 years and won't be back, then we talk about how to load a smaller unit like a Tetris game. All of my units are over 10' tall inside, and many people have no idea how to take advantage of what I call the "free space". I tell them they're paying me for the ground space, everything above the concrete is free.
    In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

Same here and I also ask if professional movers will load the unit or I use this phrase, "Are you gonna have friends with pickup trucks looking for beer and pizza at the end of the day?" One will likely be a way better packer. I remind them that as they sit at home and estimate the size needed they are looking at items spread out all over the house at waist or chest level.

Storman, I am going to use the "paying for ground space and everything above the concrete is free."
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
        Same here and I also ask if professional movers will load the unit or I use this phrase, "Are you gonna have friends with pickup trucks looking for beer and pizza at the end of the day?" One will likely be a way better packer. I remind them that as they sit at home and estimate the size needed they are looking at items spread out all over the house at waist or chest level.

Storman, I am going to use the "paying for ground space and everything above the concrete is free."
        It's genius.
        I know it's been a good day when I didn't have to unleash the flying monkeys.

Newcastle, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Amy_ISS View Post
          Just scrolling through my Twitter feed and I see a ton of great content from operators on decluttering and how storage can help. Do you offer your tenants guidance on how to properly pack their unit to get the most out of the space? Have you written a blog or shared a post on social media about getting organized?

Twitter clutter post 2.jpg
          I do all of the time. I have a list of movers, a list of charities that pick up and I tell people the story of the couple who stored magazines of his mother's for 15 years.
          I know it's been a good day when I didn't have to unleash the flying monkeys.

Newcastle, WA

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• RandyL
            Reply to What's your opinion on renting to "non-profits"?
            RandyL
            I have non profits I, give units too. I have some I give reduced rent in exchange for advertising, and I have some that pay our full rates. It all depends on what they want.

I don't think just giving away a unit generates anything. But there are groups that I give units too that...
            Today, 12:26 AM
          • Storman
            Reply to In person marketing tomorrow
            Storman
            If I drove by your facility and saw your awning, I would assume your URL is storage.com That's not a great place to have any potential customer go to....
            Yesterday, 11:15 PM
          • lenmay
            Reply to In person marketing tomorrow
            lenmay
            Of course Google gives little value to a town with a different name. Name of town is the dominate element of a Google search. Not to mention, that New Castle is 4 miles from the center of Renton. Google doesn't even get anywhere close to New Castle until the 12th listing.

Renton is not...
            Yesterday, 10:02 PM
          Working...
          X