Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often do businesses use storage spaces?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often do businesses use storage spaces?

I hear about the Average Joe using storage spaces for furniture or whatever it might, but how often are businesses using it for extra inventory, etc? Want to know if it's an economically viable solution. A few business associates of mine in NYC are finding space at a premium there :/

I would have to say that likely a full 5% of my tenants are the businesses that store records and inventory and basically spill over from a brick and mortar because it cuts down on employee theft, taxes, insurance and the need for more room at the brick and mortar. Square footage at a storage facility is way less than square footage at a typical business building.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Ah interesting. So it doesn't end up costing more than it's worth? I didn't know employee theft was such an issue either

Comment

We're 12% businesses here. Which, after I ran the report, I was pleasantly surprised it was so high. Self Storage is cheaper than brick and mortar rent. You save on storage and if it's close by you can pop in and get what you need.
        90% of what you're stressing about now won't even be relevant in a year. Breathe easy. ~Wesley Snipes

WA State

Comment

We have very few business rentals, but they do have a large sq footage occupancy. They tend to have our larger units compared to avg. customer.
          You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

Somewhere around 20%. We are in a tiny town where everything is very expensive. We deal with not only retail, but the building trades, as we are far cheaper than trying to find a place to rent with out a huge expense.
            Bob Taylor (Astro)
            Blue Ridge Self Storage
            Cashiers, NC

Disclaimer: What Gina said....'cause the the cheese fell of my cracker.

Comment

Cool cool, nice answers Think that $39 per month is a good deal for storage in New York? It doesn't seem so much, but hopefully it's worth the expense in order to save space for home businesses, which is the main issue I'm thinking about :/ There's a point where a home only becomes a home business and not a place to live anymore, so I hope the storage can help that.

Comment

Originally posted by turboslayer View Post
                Cool cool, nice answers Think that $39 per month is a good deal for storage in New York? It doesn't seem so much, but hopefully it's worth the expense in order to save space for home businesses, which is the main issue I'm thinking about :/ There's a point where a home only becomes a home business and not a place to live anymore, so I hope the storage can help that.
                Do a market survey of the facilities closest to you and see what they charge first before you set your price. You might change your mind, lower to gain more business or closer to what everyone else is charging but offer more in addition like packages being accepted or whatever.
                90% of what you're stressing about now won't even be relevant in a year. Breathe easy. ~Wesley Snipes

WA State

Comment

Sounds like a good plan, solid advice. Thanks!

Comment

I think nowadays, the number of businesses utilising storage spaces has been increasing of late. This is due to the abundance of storage facilities that make access to the extra space easy and affordable. The additional storage could simply mean being able to fulfil more orders as now they are able to accommodate more inventory to stock up while waiting for demand.
                    Cameron Robertson - Self Storage Northern Beaches

Comment

I would guess about 20%. BUT we have many personal rentals under business names for tax reasons

Comment

I had multiple businesses storing with us and do at this new facility now. Prevents the high cost of using up what little storage they may have in the brick & mortar and when they go to shows for their products they can order larger quantities to save money and not sweat where they are going to put it when it arrives 5 months before the holiday or season.
                        Tall Terri

The customer's fantasy doesn't always match with reality!

Comment

Varies based on area, we have a medical complex that we are hidden behind but pretty much every office space uses us for record storage. I knew a manager in Orlando that had every victoria's secret in the orlando area who used his facility as their central hub which if I remember he said was about 70% of his occupancy. While it's nice to have your spaces filled I also hate the aspect of having so much filled by one client, when/if they decide to leave you have a massive hit to your numbers all at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Orkocean View Post
                            Varies based on area, we have a medical complex that we are hidden behind but pretty much every office space uses us for record storage. I knew a manager in Orlando that had every victoria's secret in the orlando area who used his facility as their central hub which if I remember he said was about 70% of his occupancy. While it's nice to have your spaces filled I also hate the aspect of having so much filled by one client, when/if they decide to leave you have a massive hit to your numbers all at once.
                            I recently read on my twitter recently that Victoria's Secret (along with Payless shoes and JC Penney's) was closing a lot of mall stores, so bummer for that manager.

WA State

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Billings Storage
                              Reply to Fence? Locks? I need help to slow these guys down.
                              by Billings Storage
                              I know I am politically incorrect but how about a minefield, I detest thieves. The cable thing would be your best bet my bosses other business was broken in and they now have it, seems to have stopped the stealing.
                              Today, 09:39 PM
                            • Alicia1018
                              Reply to Break In
                              by Alicia1018
                              Thanks pacnwstorage, I think I'm over-thinking about it lol. It does make sense. I know we have had issues with other tenants in the past where we have had 2 people on a contract, before I started....
                              Today, 08:34 PM
                            • pacnwstorage
                              Reply to Units broken into, renter wants a refund
                              by pacnwstorage
                              "Even the biggest self-storage companies are broken into."

Not here, in 23 years. Especially in the last 5.5 years the security is tighter and tighter. I don't just live here and work in an office. This whole facility is my home and so far, due diligence has remained at the fore...
                              Today, 07:28 PM
                            Working...
                            X