Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hairline Cracks in Floor - Best Way to Repair?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hairline Cracks in Floor - Best Way to Repair?

On some of our upper floors mostly there has been some cracking over the years. Doesn’t appear to be anything structural just something we would like to repair in an aesthetically pleasing way so it blends best it can. Have heard of a crack repair grout and others suggest an epoxy which I worry could get messy and few more attention.....any suggestions on what has worked at your facility?

You will want to caulk the cracks, filling them in will not last because of the movements in the building itself. If you use a flexible caulking it will stay in the cracks.

Comment

Originally posted by RandyL View Post
      You will want to caulk the cracks, filling them in will not last because of the movements in the building itself. If you use a flexible caulking it will stay in the cracks.
      Would you go through the trouble of trying to grind them or just caulk as they are as it won't be a straight line and need to avoid dust anyways?

Comment

We had a TON of them, we used a self leveling sealant in a caulk tube-it's called PRO SELECT by Sika, in gray. It bonds to concrete really well.
        90% of what you're stressing about now won't even be relevant in a year. Breathe easy. ~Wesley Snipes

WA State

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinNC View Post
          We had a TON of them, we used a self leveling sealant in a caulk tube-it's called PRO SELECT by Sika, in gray. It bonds to concrete really well.
          Thanks for the quick response! That's the stuff you can get at the big box stores pretty affordable, has it held up well? Did you hire someone or could you guys do and make look pretty clean?

Comment

We did it ourselves-used a wire brush to brush out the loose stuff then caulked them. You need to block it off for at least an hour. And it's 'self leveling' so don't use it on a slope. So far so good-it's been about a year and a half.
            90% of what you're stressing about now won't even be relevant in a year. Breathe easy. ~Wesley Snipes

WA State

Comment

Some people recommend putting a 'cord' in (Can't remember what it's called) for deep cracks. I don't know if that works or not.

WA State

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinNC View Post
                We did it ourselves-used a wire brush to brush out the loose stuff then caulked them. You need to block it off for at least an hour. And it's 'self leveling' so don't use it on a slope. So far so good-it's been about a year and a half.
                Thanks for that info! I've been trying to figure out how to fix a few cracks over here too!. I'll give this info to our maintenance guy.
                You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

Originally posted by wc1974 View Post

Thanks for that info! I've been trying to figure out how to fix a few cracks over here too!. I'll give this info to our maintenance guy.
                  I gave Doug some of our extra-ask him for it!

WA State

Comment

The cord is called foam backer rod, and comes in different sizes for different sized cracks. From my understanding you use backer rod if the caulk will go more than 1/2" thick. You do want the self level caulking like mentioned above as well. I would not going out a small crack to fill, I would wait for it to grow and then fill it. But that is me personally.

Comment

Originally posted by RandyL View Post
                      The cord is called foam backer rod, and comes in different sizes for different sized cracks. From my understanding you use backer rod if the caulk will go more than 1/2" thick. You do want the self level caulking like mentioned above as well. I would not going out a small crack to fill, I would wait for it to grow and then fill it. But that is me personally.
                      So what happened here was that they were refinancing and whoever it was came through and threw a fit over all of the cracks so they filled them all-thin and thick.

WA State

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X