Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving Tenant Vehicles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Moving Tenant Vehicles

    We are a relatively small storage site and we are getting new units delivered this coming week. We currently rent out 4 parking spots that we are needing those tenants to move in order for the delivery trucks to come in, drop of material, and get out. I have managed to get a hold of two tenants, but the last two spots are occupied by one tenant. We cannot get a hold of him and we need him to have his trailers moved by sunday 3/10. We just wanted to see if anyone else ever had this issue and if we would be legally allowed to tow and possibly charge the tenant if he wont get back with us.

    To clarify, we have made space for the tenants to move their vehicles and trailers to for the temporary inconvenience. Also we are located in Texas. I just haven't dealt with this scenario so just looking what we can legally do.

  • #2
    I think this goes along with our needing to access a unit in case of an emergency. The fact that you can't contact the client to ask him to move his trailers I don't believe gives you the right to charge him for said imposition on YOUR part. He paid for the space and expects his property to be safe and as long as it stays safe I think you are fine to move it to the new location. NOT to charge him for the move however.
    Tall Terri

    The customer's fantasy doesn't always match with reality!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Tall Terri View Post
      I think this goes along with our needing to access a unit in case of an emergency. The fact that you can't contact the client to ask him to move his trailers I don't believe gives you the right to charge him for said imposition on YOUR part. He paid for the space and expects his property to be safe and as long as it stays safe I think you are fine to move it to the new location. NOT to charge him for the move however.
      Thanks! That's kinda what I was thinking to be allowed. That helps me out though for the future. Funny thing is that the guy actually came in about a minute later to pay rent, so the issue ended up resolving itself

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Amarillo_ Storage_ View Post

        Thanks! That's kinda what I was thinking to be allowed. That helps me out though for the future. Funny thing is that the guy actually came in about a minute later to pay rent, so the issue ended up resolving itself
        Lol-there ya go. You don't see someone for months and boom!
        90% of what you're stressing about now won't even be relevant in a year. Breathe easy. ~Wesley Snipes

        WA State

        Comment


        • #5
          You start talking about someone and they show up like a bad penny.
          "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
            You start talking about someone and they show up like a bad penny.
            I know right! It always seems to work for our storage rentals, not so much for our house rentals though

            Comment


            • #7
              When I rent a unit or parking space, if I had them, I get a hard line home number-if they have one, cell number, work number, personal email and work email-if they have one and an alternate contact and a second alt contact-if they have one. I also tell them and have them initial that if I HAVE to access, for any reason I will attempt contact first and if I cannot reach them I will do what I got to do and then still contact them asap. I also tell them that forgetting to update contact info and address and emails is on them and their responsibility. I also tell them I will charge appropriate fees if needed and they initial that on the lease. When you say move a trailer I don't know if you are talking about a hitch trailer that hooks at the bumper area or if you are talking about a 5th wheel. Way different amount of work to move them and therefore a difference in fees. Yes, the trailers are supposed to be kept safe at the facility but you are not stealing them you are just moving them. I am sure you allowed several days between when you first attempted contact and the day they needed to be out of the way, RIGHT?
              "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                When you say move a trailer I don't know if you are talking about a hitch trailer that hooks at the bumper area or if you are talking about a 5th wheel. Way different amount of work to move them and therefore a difference in fees. Yes, the trailers are supposed to be kept safe at the facility but you are not stealing them you are just moving them. I am sure you allowed several days between when you first attempted contact and the day they needed to be out of the way, RIGHT?
                We are talking about a flatbed hitch trailer that was going to need moved. We started call outs today, as we just received word our containers will be delivered beginning next week. I started call outs when I got to office after we received that info. We just didn't know what all fees were acceptable if we couldn't get a hold of tenant. Most likely we weren't going to charge a fee period as it was short notice on our part, but I wanted to check kinda what the practice was so that I can make sure to update future contracts, as I bet we will be ordering more units in the future.

                Comment


                • #9
                  That's some pretty short notice. Whoever is organizing your portable unit project should of given you as the manager more notice that items would need to be moved. Surely the company didn't decide overnight "hey lets get portable units!" and have them delivered in 3 days. I would think they did research for the best option to get, if the revenue aspect was worth it etc. etc.. So me as a manager would be pretty perturbed with whoever was in charge of the project for not keeping the site informed of what was going to be needed.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Plus, moving a hitch trailer is easy with the right size tow ball and the vehicle to move it, especially if it was not a loaded trailer, I am assuming.
                    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

                    Comment

                    Latest Topics

                    Collapse

                    • pacnwstorage
                      Reply to Vendor Representatives
                      by pacnwstorage
                      I always ask any commercial account what is going to be stored in the unit and how often will the unit be visited? Other than that, no matter who they are, they follow the same rules and regulations as anyone else. I also never ever accept shipments for them.
                      Today, 04:36 PM
                    • razorback
                      Vendor Representatives
                      by razorback
                      What is the best way to handle vendor reps storing their sample inventory or sales materials? If the lease agreement states the tenant agrees to use the space for property wholly owned by the tenant then what procedure do you use to accommodate these vendor reps?...
                      Today, 04:29 PM
                    • razorback
                      Reply to How many hours a week do you work?
                      by razorback
                      I work 40 hours a week, Mon-Fri, 9am to 6pm. When I first started here 11 years ago I had a part time person who worked 1/2 day on Saturday and 1/2 day during the week so I could get out of the office to run errands. It got so hard to find trustworthy dependable part time help that the owner agreed...
                      Today, 04:24 PM
                    Working...
                    X