dealing with roaches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dealing with roaches

I have older units that are about 20 years old and also 2 new buildings that are 6 months old. So most of the old units are rented so I canít get inside. About half of the new units are rented so I can get in the ones that are open. I have been reading up on boric acid as something to use. What products do others you? For inside and outside of the units. Thx

Professional exterminator ! The only way to go.
    Dave (Woodee) Scott

Comment

Ditto on the professional exterminator usage.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Professional unless you want to keep costs down and don't mind taking some time to spray on your own. You can buy the same exact chemical most exterminators use to spray with on amazon. A $40 bottle of concentrate even with a high mixture ratio can get you monthly spraying for quite awhile covered. I've always taken the task over myself to cut costs at sites.

Comment

Originally posted by storage1000 View Post
          I have older units that are about 20 years old and also 2 new buildings that are 6 months old. So most of the old units are rented so I canít get inside. About half of the new units are rented so I can get in the ones that are open. I have been reading up on boric acid as something to use. What products do others you? For inside and outside of the units. Thx
          First thing to do is start inspecting units near the problem to identify the tenant who is in violation of your rules and storing food that is attracting them.

I then use a 3 pronged approach,
          Spray https://www.domyown.com/conquer-liqu...cide-p-70.html this is what I use
          Whenever we get an empty unit I spray a perimeter around the unit to protect neighboring units in case a tenant violates the lease, I also spray around the outside of doors of rented units periodically.

Bug Bomb
          https://www.raid.com/en-us/products/...p-reach-fogger something like this

And then bait gel
          https://www.domyown.com/maxforce-fc-...hoCWsEQAvD_BwE

The bait gel is the most important step, for easy cleanup apply it to the back of a business card, it is great for application into cracks of the cement, or tops of the metal beams.

I have never failed in quickly dispatching of a roach problem using those 2 things.

Some people are afraid of pest control, I used to flip houses with someone in the pest control business. I used to buy all the same products directly from them for pest control.

If you have gravel drives or grass bordering buildings you can also spread a granular replant.

Comment

Yuck, I hate roaches! I used to live in AZ and it didn't matter how clean your home was, you had them! I get goose pimples just thinking about them! We moved into a rental and immediately noticed roaches- reported it to the property management company and they refused to do anything about it, so we did some research and did the boric acid by drilling holes into the sheet rock about a foot apart and 5 ft high, squirt the powder into the holes so it coats the walls as it falls down the inside. It worked pretty well, but once they get into things like appliances you're screwed. Also- another thing we found is that roaches LOVE cardboard. They will lay eggs inside the corrugated parts. Try to encourage people ( especially those in the southern states) not to use free cardboard that comes from grocery stores or other places where food sits in the boxes for long period of time. It attracts the roaches and the start breeding there. I hope you're able to get it under control. I would think if it was bad enough- you could use the part in your clause that says you have the right to enter the unit for emergency maintenance needs? Or, if you cant see over the top of the units-maybe try to contact all your tenants to come open their doors so you can see where this issue is coming from, you might have someone storing food or other nasty stuff.
            You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

I swear this post jinxed me today. Low and behold an unit going to auction thanks to some "lovely" customers who left pure trash behind has ended up being a roach issue. My personal belief is I will never enter a unit until it has gone through the auction process and been logged as a no sale before I will cross that threshold and I broke my own rule today by going in it and spraying 2000sq feet worth of spray in a 10x12 unit. Not a inch of that unit from floor to ceiling didn't get a triple dozing of spray, tons of foot stomping action as well. Setting a fogger off in it tonight after hours. Sadly it already made it 2 occupied units down it seems from the customer who came in today who brought it to our attention.

Comment

Filthy disgusting tenants that bring rot and food in to the unit will drag the roaches in with them and they are already embedded in the items in the unit when they move in. Again another reason why I vet heavily a prospective on the phone and again in person before a rental. I know it is not 100% fool proof but is as close as I can get to it. Plus, we have professional exterminators here that cover a wide range of pests.
                "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Steve_hajewski
                  Reply to Break in at our units
                  by Steve_hajewski
                  Sorry to hear about this. Chateau sells a cylinder lock that is compatible with Trac-Rite's latches. The also sell two different stainless slide latches that will fit the door, however they will require drilling new holes.

It does sound like you were doing things correctly for being a rural...
                  Yesterday, 09:23 PM
                • KrisinNC
                  Reply to Break in at our units
                  by KrisinNC
                  It sounds like you're on top of it. I'd add motion sensitive lights. Regular lighting then when there is motion brighter lights pop on so they realize that maybe there are cameras. I'd make the utility/camera room not accessible to the outside if possible....
                  Yesterday, 08:39 PM
                • MBStorage
                  Break in at our units
                  by MBStorage
                  To preface this, we are in a rural area where it's extremely rare to find storage units with a fence, gate, office, etc. Much like 95% of the other storage unit businesses around, we do not have those things. We do have security cameras and an on-site computer in a utility room that records the camera...
                  Yesterday, 07:48 PM
                Working...
                X