County Tax Appraisor asking for Operating statement / rent roll

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• County Tax Appraisor asking for Operating statement / rent roll

Hey all. Been lurking a while and this is my first post. I am a new owner as of about 6 months ago. I have a small rural facility and have just received a request from the county appraisal district asking for an operating statement. They want to know the quantity, size, price, etc. for all my units, along with expenses, etc. Does anyone know if this is normal and required? I am not inclined to give them any ammo to raise my taxes. They are high enough here in TX. Thanks in advance for you input.

Welcome Geo. There will be an owner operator that will let you know-but it seems like a pretty invasive question to me as well. How do they do property increases for housing?
    90% of what you're stressing about now won't even be relevant in a year. Breathe easy. ~Wesley Snipes

WA State

Comment

Residential property appraisals are generally done based on recent sales data.

Comment

Originally posted by geo972 View Post
        Hey all. Been lurking a while and this is my first post. I am a new owner as of about 6 months ago. I have a small rural facility and have just received a request from the county appraisal district asking for an operating statement. They want to know the quantity, size, price, etc. for all my units, along with expenses, etc. Does anyone know if this is normal and required? I am not inclined to give them any ammo to raise my taxes. They are high enough here in TX. Thanks in advance for you input.
        Ask them to show you the statute that says you have to supply XYZ report.

Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

I would fight tooth and nail to keep from doing that. Welcome to the forum.
          "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

I'm in California. I fought the county assessor's office and their ineptitude for 7 YEARS. Not only were the staff "appraisers" complete buffoons, when we finally made it to the Board of Appeals they proved they understood even less of what proper appraisal practice was. They final outcome and written decision was laughable, the reasoning they used was entirely inappropriate and not based on the law or statute. I finally gave up, trying to argue with idiots was costing me more money than I cared to spend, and there was no guarantee that filing a civil lawsuit would ensure a judge that understood the law any better than the appeal clowns did. I had my valuation reduced by a percentage, but only off of the ridiculous valuation they started with.

(I can feel myself beginning to get triggered, I'd better take a deep breath)

I would try not to give them the information, but I doubt you'll be able to hold them off for long, and then when they finally do get it from you they'll have an axe to grind for daring to make them have to actually work. Assessor's have the hammer, and you're merely a nail. Good luck, it started for me when they asked for a rent roll....
            In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

Some of the information you will need to provide to them and some you shouldn't.

They asked me for years fro expense information and income information at my facilities, i just told them that I provide that information to the income tax people, you guys are the property tax people.

What they are trying to do is determine your properties value based on its ability to bring in income, which is hore****

In Iowa the state puts out a appraisals handbook that tells city and county assessors how to assess, I highly recommend finding that guide book for your state.

You will need to provide unit mix information, physical information about your buildings. Construction materials etc.

Comment

Some states do have statutes that require you submit income data upon request. I'm not sure about your state. If it's not legally required then DON'T DO IT!

ALERT: Illinois has a bill moving thru the legislature right now that appears to be passing to allow any county to require you submit income statements upon request. SB1379 in now in the House. ISSA/SSA along with other groups are trying to stop it but the Cook County Assessor has too many friends and it looks to be a sure thing. This will be a nightmare for us as we operate several tax parcels and do not track income and expenses by these parcels. UGG!

Comment

Originally posted by Willar View Post
                  Some states do have statutes that require you submit income data upon request. I'm not sure about your state. If it's not legally required then DON'T DO IT!

ALERT: Illinois has a bill moving thru the legislature right now that appears to be passing to allow any county to require you submit income statements upon request. SB1379 in now in the House. ISSA/SSA along with other groups are trying to stop it but the Cook County Assessor has too many friends and it looks to be a sure thing. This will be a nightmare for us as we operate several tax parcels and do not track income and expenses by these parcels. UGG!
                  It used to be required in Iowa too, but I still refused to give it to them. We never got in trouble for the refusal to do so. Not saying that will be the case in every state though

Comment

I knew this stuff would happen when texas started advertising for californians to move to their state

Comment

Here in PA it is supposedly illegal to tax one property different than any other. When we built I was asked the same thing. Thinking it was odd they needed that to find out my PROPERTY value. I asked and they said they use three ways to determine value. I call BS on that. I gave them the lowest prices in the area at the time.
                      How can they use business value for PROPERTY Tax value? They don't ask the local department store how many Suits or shoes they will sell and how much.

If I am not mistaken I refused on the last building and told them to assess as just a vacant building.
                      Joe Krezdorn
                      DAK Self Storage
                      Leesport, PA 19533
                      www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

Value to replace the structures and value of the business as calculated by income potential may be two very different things. I agree, it sounds like it's time to brush up on some tax code re: appraisals. It might also be worth talking to some local competitors as you all have a common interest in this battle.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X