Parting is such sweet sorrow......or not

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parting is such sweet sorrow......or not

Guys- how do you get a talker to leave? I'll admit I like a good gab session now and then, but sometimes I get these lonely folks in the office who just wont leave, and they try to make awkward small talk. I've tried "Well gosh your all set til next month, see you then!" as they take a seat to relax and head into an hours long conversation about their old glory days. I hate being rude, but sometimes I just want to say " Ive got stuff to do and you gotta go now" Any advice on how to gently give them the boot?
    You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

lololololol. Okay-been there. I stand and start doing small things (stapling stuff or grabbing locks or whatever), all the while still talking to the tenant but giving the them the impression that I'm getting distracted, then after a minute I'll say, "It was so nice talking to you but I really have to do xyz in another part of the building. Thanks so much for stopping by," and grab your keys and ease them out. It works about 95% of the time.
    90% of what you're stressing about now won't even be relevant in a year. Breathe easy. ~Wesley Snipes

WA State

Comment

I have my personal cell phone under the counter where they cannot see it. I do a speed dial to the facility cell phone and when I answer I act like I am listening to something and then I say, "Just a minute" and cover the phone and then tell the person in the office I will see them later because I have to take this call and will be a long conversation. They get up and leave. Just in case they are watching me to maybe hang up and they can come right back I act like I am carrying on a conversation till they clear the parking lot.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Just grab a piece of paper and your keys, tell them there's cleaning to do and they are more than happy to come and join in!
        I would probably go one step further and add since you're here the better part of the day I may as well put you to work!!!!

That will clear the office out FAST!
        Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Originally posted by lady5563 View Post
          Just grab a piece of paper and your keys, tell them there's cleaning to do and they are more than happy to come and join in!
          I would probably go one step further and add since you're here the better part of the day I may as well put you to work!!!!

LOL with my luck they probably would want to join in !
          You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

Originally posted by lady5563 View Post

Ha. I was going to suggest the same thing. Maybe have a bucket and a scrub brush and say the bathrooms need cleaning!

Comment

Had the guy who would want to join me on cleaning.. When we used to see him coming into the drive I would duck out of the office and my wife would tell him i'm not available. One time he set down and said he'd wait, so she said she was closing the office up as she needed to do the bank run. The guy thought he could just "stay" in the office while she was gone and no one was around. That's when it got to the point we realized he was enough of a headache and told him he couldn't not just hang out any longer.

If you're looking for an "Excuse" for a frequent offender of this what I have taught workers to tell the people after they've had a few issues of it is that home office watches the cameras and got onto them as they have been seen just hanging out talking to customers instead of being out and productive multiple times so they can't sit around and talk any more. Most customers don't want to get the employee in trouble so they will stop.

Comment

I do the same thing as pacnstorage....that interruption works every time!

Comment

Originally posted by Diane58 View Post
                  I do the same thing as pacnstorage....that interruption works every time!
                  Great minds think alike.
                  "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                    I have my personal cell phone under the counter where they cannot see it. I do a speed dial to the facility cell phone and when I answer I act like I am listening to something and then I say, "Just a minute" and cover the phone and then tell the person in the office I will see them later because I have to take this call and will be a long conversation. They get up and leave. Just in case they are watching me to maybe hang up and they can come right back I act like I am carrying on a conversation till they clear the parking lot.
                    Me too

Comment

This is a pretty easy fix man. Just say that you have something to do in the backroom and hide out there until they go away! Or say, hey, I need to get into a conference call. Don't be rude about it or anything though. Just tell them straight to the face that you have things to do and you'll continue the conversation sometime other than now. The best way to do it is to be s straightforward with them. You're running a business at the end of the day too! I am sure that they'll understand.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X