Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADA Requirements

Hey all,

I was just doing some research on ADA requirements for self storage facilities and I am getting somewhat conflicting results. On one hand some are saying that if the property was built prior to 2012 and it is compliant with 1991 standards, it is fine now. Anything built after 2012 has to fall under the new rules and layout of ropes, pound of pressure etc. I was wondering if anyone has info on that? I live here in California. I believe this place was built in 2004 maybe and is compliant with previous ADA stuff. Let me know!

Thanks in advance!

Welcome!
    We had to retrofit our doors in San Diego-it was a percentage of units that we had if I remember right. We made our own ropes etc. and put the blue handicap signs beside each unit-but it doesn't have to be rented to someone who is handicapped. It was pretty easy, our district manager and our maintenance guy knocked it out in a day. I think the bathroom doors were measured to make sure we were compliant but they'd considered that during the build. Our management company said better to over do than get busted for not doing enough. I'd touch base with the SSA in CA and ask them.
    90% of what you're stressing about now won't even be relevant in a year. Breathe easy. ~Wesley Snipes

WA State

Comment

Thanks for taking time to respond! I will definitely do that. Did you have to put a ramp or anything in front of the door? Most facilities have that little bump in front of the door.

Comment

Originally posted by PleaseInformMe View Post
        Thanks for taking time to respond! I will definitely do that. Did you have to put a ramp or anything in front of the door? Most facilities have that little bump in front of the door.
        So most of our units were interior so no bumps, thank goodness. I don't know if you have to change that or grind it down to make it easier for ADA or what. Just be aware-in CA there is a person/group that visits businesses to check out the ADA situation and if they find anything they will file a lawsuit.
        90% of what you're stressing about now won't even be relevant in a year. Breathe easy. ~Wesley Snipes

WA State

Comment

So what happens when you build a new storage building, It obviously has to be ADA compliant. But do they make you do anything to existing buildings that have been around for years. In other words do they make you upgrade the entire facility when you add a new building or are you just dealing with the new building?

Comment

Enforcement varies. If you are adding a new building and concerned about compliance, you can add more ADA accessible units to the new building to compensate. This is easier with interior units. The code states the units should be spread evenly over the size range, but they do not have to be spread evenly over the buildings on the property. Grouping them all together in one hallway with interior swing doors is a safe way to do it. Interior units on a corner can have a roll up door on one side and a wing on the other. The roll up doors with various ropes or pulls are not accepted in every state but in some places are a solution that will pass.

If putting them in a hallway, you also need to ensure that egress routes to the exterior are properly equipped with ADA hardware, properly sized windows on hall doors if equipped, level pads outside of the door, and proper spacing to the sides of the door latches. Doors through firewalls serving as egress routes also must meet the standards. Achieving this with a 5' wide hall requires using a narrower door and having no space on the hinge side. Designing the building with a wider section by the firewall or hallway to exterior door (can double as cart storage) is my preferred way to handle this.
            Last edited by Steve_hajewski; 16th May 2019, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_hajewski View Post
              Enforcement varies. If you are adding a new building and concerned about compliance, you can add more ADA accessible units to the new building to compensate. This is easier with interior units. The code states the units should be spread evenly over the size range, but they do not have to be spread evenly over the buildings on the property. Grouping them all together in one hallway with interior swing doors is a safe way to do it. Interior units on a corner can have a roll up door on one side and a wing on the other. The roll up doors with various ropes or pulls are not accepted in every state but in some places are a solution that will pass.

If putting them in a hallway, you also need to ensure that egress routes to the exterior are properly equipped with ADA hardware, properly sized windows on hall doors if equipped, level pads outside of the door, and proper spacing to the sides of the door latches. Doors through firewalls serving as egress routes also must meet the standards. Achieving this with a 5' wide hall requires using a narrower door and having no space on the hinge side. Designing the building with a wider section by the firewall or hallway to exterior door (can double as cart storage) is my preferred way to handle this.
              Thanks Steve for this answer!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• tandrle
                Reply to Powered stalls
                by tandrle
                Good feedback, I really like the Levitons and could see putting automation in place to handle it. I could use If this then that to turn on or off the outlet. The drawback is that the outlets all have a manual option to turn it on. I think using IFTTT can just shut it off it detected every 5 min or...
                Today, 03:36 PM
              • Steve_hajewski
                Reply to Powered stalls
                by Steve_hajewski
                I have some of them on my property. Each on a separate 20 amp breaker. I charge a $20 per month premium for the power. I have an automated kiosk for rentals but those units are blocked off in the management software so that you need to meet me to rent them.

So far those units have been...
                Today, 03:15 PM
              • KrisinNC
                Reply to Powered stalls
                by KrisinNC
                That seems like a great idea-though place them somewhere they won't get damaged when a senior citizen inevitably knocks into one side of the other. I've had many phone calls for powered spaces so they can run dehumidifiers or a trickle charge for their battery....
                Today, 03:04 PM
              Working...
              X