"Weekend" project will take longer than a weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Weekend" project will take longer than a weekend

So, I thought I'd tackle a "little" project I've been wanting to do for some time. The tub/shower in my bathroom had glass shower doors. I hated them, and wanted to remove them but kept putting it off. Yesterday, I decided to just do it and get it done. Watched a couple of videos to make sure I knew what I was doing. Simple, right? HA! Let's just say I FINALLY did get the doors out, but I'm still (technically) not done. The manager before me that lived here, her husband is/was a "builder". I use that term loosely because I've seen some of his work and, wow. My shower is a small example. Anyway, the videos I watched all show the people easily cutting the caulk on the edges of the tracks and effortlessly removing the screws holding them in place. The tracks just POP right off. HAHAHAHA. Not mine. Not only were the tracks screwed in (and the screws were all rusty and gross), they had put a ton, I mean a TON of caulk on the back of the track to, I don't know, help hold them in place?? THEN they caulked the edges. There must have been a good 1/8" behind the wall tracks and at least a 1/4" under part of the bottom track. The bottom track had all that extra because the tub edge isn't straight, it's angled down toward the inside of the tub. Apparently all that caulk was needed to build up that space to make the doors level. I had to use my big flat head screw driver and a hammer to loosen it; the razor tool I bought just couldn't get through it. I got a lot of the thinner areas done and about a quarter of the tub edge, but had to stop because I wanted to start breaking things. And that never ends well. Now my weekend project is going to take me several days of hammering, scraping, and wanting to throw things. But, I have an actual shower curtain and I'm much happier with the look.
    Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

The only weekend projects I sign on to do are to relax, sleep, and sometimes go swimming. All can be achieved in a weekend....hahahha
    Tall Terri

The customer's fantasy doesn't always match with reality!

Comment

Normally mine too. I think I'll stick to that from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by DairyGirl View Post
        So, I thought I'd tackle a "little" project I've been wanting to do for some time. The tub/shower in my bathroom had glass shower doors. I hated them, and wanted to remove them but kept putting it off. Yesterday, I decided to just do it and get it done. Watched a couple of videos to make sure I knew what I was doing. Simple, right? HA! Let's just say I FINALLY did get the doors out, but I'm still (technically) not done. The manager before me that lived here, her husband is/was a "builder". I use that term loosely because I've seen some of his work and, wow. My shower is a small example. Anyway, the videos I watched all show the people easily cutting the caulk on the edges of the tracks and effortlessly removing the screws holding them in place. The tracks just POP right off. HAHAHAHA. Not mine. Not only were the tracks screwed in (and the screws were all rusty and gross), they had put a ton, I mean a TON of caulk on the back of the track to, I don't know, help hold them in place?? THEN they caulked the edges. There must have been a good 1/8" behind the wall tracks and at least a 1/4" under part of the bottom track. The bottom track had all that extra because the tub edge isn't straight, it's angled down toward the inside of the tub. Apparently all that caulk was needed to build up that space to make the doors level. I had to use my big flat head screw driver and a hammer to loosen it; the razor tool I bought just couldn't get through it. I got a lot of the thinner areas done and about a quarter of the tub edge, but had to stop because I wanted to start breaking things. And that never ends well. Now my weekend project is going to take me several days of hammering, scraping, and wanting to throw things. But, I have an actual shower curtain and I'm much happier with the look.
        Been there-done that. I had to remove an entire fibreglass shower surround-it looked easy on Youtube. Ha ha ha. No.
        When I had all of my ducks in a row-I realized that most of them were not even mine!

WA State

Comment

Yeah, youtube makes everything look so easy. Haha

Comment

Originally posted by DairyGirl View Post
            Yeah, youtube makes everything look so easy. Haha
            Youtube is probably still the best tool for finding tutorial videos. Pretty much no matter what your project is, someone has already done it, and there's most likely videos on it. I learned how to adjust the valves in an old ATV from a guys video several years ago.
            A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Comment

When I got here I had sliding glass shower doors. I lifted the out. I then put the spring loaded shower curtain slide rod up above the upper door track about 4" higher than the top of the metal track. I then installed all the hooks and have an inside curtain that drapes inside the tub and an outside curtain that drapes outside the tub. I just step in over the same rail you are trying to move. This way if I leave the original track is al there for the glass doors.
              "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                When I got here I had sliding glass shower doors. I lifted the out. I then put the spring loaded shower curtain slide rod up above the upper door track about 4" higher than the top of the metal track. I then installed all the hooks and have an inside curtain that drapes inside the tub and an outside curtain that drapes outside the tub. I just step in over the same rail you are trying to move. This way if I leave the original track is al there for the glass doors.
                There was no way I was leaving mine in. The screws were all rusty and gross. Just too hard to keep clean. Plus, I kept hitting one toe on one foot on the bottom track all the time. Nope, gone.

Comment

I understand. I am so aware of that track that I have never stubbed a toe. With the inner and outer curtain I get no water or crud built up in the track.
                  "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X