Announcement

Collapse

New Membership Approvals

Hello! We're thrilled you want to be a part of Self-Storage Talk! Please be patient with us as registration make take longer to process around the holidays. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
See more
See less

Key deposit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Key deposit?

I need suggestions. As I think most of you know, I am a 24-hr facility. Because of that all entrances to our AC buildings/units are kept locked. All 3 buildings are ground level, and each building is divided into 4 separate areas/hallways. Each hallway has its own door and its own key. There is no access to any other part of the building via these hallways. When a tenant rents an AC unit, they are given a key that allows them access to that hallway where their unit is. When they vacate, they are supposed to return the key to us. Some do, many don't. We, the facility, are footing the bill for having keys made because people lose or don't return them. For this reason I am thinking about adding some sort of refundable deposit for the key as an extra incentive to give it back. Not so high that they balk at paying it, yet high enough that they'll want it back. Also, I sometimes have someone lose one and need another, so I was thinking either they lose their deposit altogether, or they have to pay another smaller, non-refundable fee. I have not run this by ownership yet, so I don't even know if I'll be allowed to do it. Just something I've been thinking about for awhile.
    Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Have a refundable deposit, say $25. If lose key then they have to pay separately for the replacement. If you just keep extras of those keys in case of key loss and have a new key at the ready, then a fee is charged and the deposit is not touched. That deposit is for move out only.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
      Have a refundable deposit, say $25. If lose key then they have to pay separately for the replacement. If you just keep extras of those keys in case of key loss and have a new key at the ready, then a fee is charged and the deposit is not touched. That deposit is for move out only.
      That makes sense. This way, they would only be out whatever the charge was for the additional key.
      Ok, so what about a scenario where husband and wife both want a key. In case one needs to come here but the other has the key and is unable to get it to that person for whatever reason. Separate deposit for each key? One deposit fee and one additional key fee? I'd still want both keys back at move-out.

Comment

I would do 2 deposits. That will help you a little when the inevitable happens and they argue and want the other locked out. Plus, if they balk and think a little bit they would have that key in an easy access place at home and both then would have access. If they insist on a second key then that is 2 deposits that get returned at move out when they turn in 2 working keys.

Comment

I agree with Pac, refundable deposit per key provided.
          AmyLou

Comment

This may or may not be achievable but what about retrofitting electronic locks to the doors and using your access control system to manage? That way you can either have the door unlocked while a valid user is onsite or add a keypad/reader at the door that just unlocks long enough to open the door? This will remove the need to have a heap of special keys and then stress about them being used without permission if any get out into the wild. Extra benefit it tracks who actually used it and when.
            Just a Storage Stalker..............

Comment

How secure is the overall facility? It seems pretty common to just control access at the gate, and once a tenant is in the facility the common climate controlled areas are accessible. This is generally combined with lots of cameras.

Otherwise I agree with other posters that it seems like this ought to be controlled through keypad access. Physical keys to manage sounds like an administrative headache.

Comment

I think the facility is secure. No one is complaining that their vehicles are being messed with and their doesn't appear to be anyone accessing the facility by climbing over the back wall or any fences. The doors to those buildings have been kept locked since before I even worked here, and since no one could really give me a good reason why, I just figured being a 24-hr facility is the reason. I've never attempted to try stopping it. Yes, dealing with keys is a PITA. I've thought about talking to prop mgmt about no longer locking the doors, but I'm afraid the answer will be "no, it provides extra security".

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                  This may or may not be achievable but what about retrofitting electronic locks to the doors and using your access control system to manage? That way you can either have the door unlocked while a valid user is onsite or add a keypad/reader at the door that just unlocks long enough to open the door? This will remove the need to have a heap of special keys and then stress about them being used without permission if any get out into the wild. Extra benefit it tracks who actually used it and when.
                  Doing something like this is what I actually want to do. While I would consider this an upgrade, it's not a "necessity" so I can say with 99% confidence it would never happen. It's cheaper to make/hand out keys than it is to install/maintain something like this.

Comment

As stated above, I would and do have a keypad at each door to CC building. With QuikStor I have a zone each door. Their code will NOT work at the wrong keypad. Works great for everyone involved. Outdoor tenants code will not open any doors. I even have a keypad on the office door. It amazes me that tenants try to access the office with their code only to be denied.
                    Joe Krezdorn
                    DAK Self Storage
                    Leesport, PA 19533
                    www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

We are not 24/7 access and have one building with temp controlled/heated units with 5 walk in doors. They are never locked. Gate code gets the tenant in. The fact that every tenant, and I mean every tenant, knows I watch like a hawk and will make their life miserable if they mess with those doors and the temp building when they are not supposed to be there.

Comment

I think I may end up talking to the managers at our other facility (they aren't 24-hr and do not keep AC building doors locked) to get their thoughts, and prop mgmt to see if it's possible to stop it altogether. There is no difference between an AC unit and a non-AC unit, other than the obvious, that necessitates them being treated differently.

Comment

Why not go with something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Schlage-FE595...32122246&psc=1

It allows codes on those doors, it is not tracked, and can't be changed remotely, but it would remove the need for keys, and allow different codes for different areas.

With that said I only have codes on doors outside my gate, and I give those codes to no one, once you enter the gate our temp controlled units are accessed by an unlocked door.

Comment

Originally posted by RandyL View Post
                            Why not go with something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Schlage-FE595...32122246&psc=1

It allows codes on those doors, it is not tracked, and can't be changed remotely, but it would remove the need for keys, and allow different codes for different areas.

With that said I only have codes on doors outside my gate, and I give those codes to no one, once you enter the gate our temp controlled units are accessed by an unlocked door.
                            Something like that is exactly what I want. I can always plead my case for needing them and the worst they can say is no.

Comment

In terms of the Amazon link above, I have those on my personal homes, garages and warehouse storage area. They work great.

-BUT.........
                              • 19 user code capacity with 10,000 user code combinations to choose from
                              Make sure you only need a maximum of 19 codes for the doors you put them on.
                              In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X