Announcement

Collapse

New Membership Approvals

Hello! We're thrilled you want to be a part of Self-Storage Talk! Please be patient with us as registration make take longer to process around the holidays. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
See more
See less

Junk Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junk Removal

Has anyone used these services? Why did you hire a third party? What did you pay? Was the cost worth it? Were there any problems?
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Originally posted by Amy_ISS View Post
    Has anyone used these services? Why did you hire a third party? What did you pay? Was the cost worth it? Were there any problems?
    I call local charity organizations that benefit the local community. We have one here called Abraham's House. Their purpose is to take previously homeless, or those who were in jail or went through rehab to educate them, then train them in a job, help them find employment and ultimately become independent. They will pick up the items for free, they ask for a donation but I leave that up to the tenant to give, we do not give them anything to pick up abandoned things. Ironically- Goodwill and Salvation Army will NOT come out to pick anything up if it isn't "nice enough." They have us send pictures to them via email and if they don't like it they let us know. I call BS, especially since I have been in their stores and see they are selling stuff not even half as nice as what we tried to give them.
    You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

Goodwill and St. Vincent DePaul are the two agencies here that will take only items that they need and are in good enough shape. They turn around and sell them. Because I watch like a hawk when I see signs of a move out I let the tenant know about fees that will be charged for anything left behind. The maint man hauls away what we need to but in the last 3-4 years he has made maybe 3 trips.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

We've had a couple of trips due to units not selling at auction. One was filled with junk-straight to the dump, the other was about 1/2 junk and half Goodwill.
        Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Never paid for a service but actually have a couple of folks who have asked for me to call them to clean out abandoned units. About two people have been good on their word and removed everything out the units.
          When I first started we had one guy who owns a scrap yard that did hoodwink me: I told him he could have an old washer and dryer in a 10 x 20 with the promise to clean the whole unit out. He took the washer & dryer and then never returned.

Comment

When a tenant asks to use the dumpster and says "its just a little something, It will fit I promise" then you go outside and find this:
            Attached Files
            You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

Originally posted by wc1974 View Post
              When a tenant asks to use the dumpster and says "its just a little something, It will fit I promise" then you go outside and find this:
              *snort*
              Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

My best resource is a local thrift/resale shop. The person that owns it normally comes to my auctions - that's how i met him. When I have things to get rid of outside of the auction process, he'll often buy (or take away) anything. It helps that he has rural land with a large burn pile.

I've also used a local facebook buy/sell trade group. Recently a tenant abandoned a table set and computer hutch. They were usable, but in my opinion too ugly to sell. So i posted them (without advertising where the stuff was or the business name: that i only revealed in personal messages) on Facebook and within hours, people contacted me and took the stuff. In fact, both people who took the items were tenants and as far as I know I think they are still storing the stuff at my facility.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by wc1974 View Post
                  Guaranteed this person(s) is one of the ever popular Wal-Mart people that show up in their greatest hits scroll of pics.

They are also likely head of the class for Jeff Foxworthy "you might be a redneck" jokes.
                  "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ckpa11
                    Reply to fence climber
                    by ckpa11
                    That's what I thought would be in the replies. Thanks. This person also wrecked her car and without asking just had a friend tow it in and drop it. She has not asked about paying for parking, nor do I want her to. So, I guess I am just a storage yard for wrecked vehicles too. I gave her notice to have...
                    Today, 01:11 PM
                  • AngelaESSTX
                    Reply to fence climber
                    by AngelaESSTX
                    Exactly what evets said. Depending on your state's laws, I would hand her a 3 day notice for non-renewal....
                    Today, 01:01 PM
                  • evets
                    Reply to fence climber
                    by evets
                    I would evict her. And in the meantime tell her that if she does it again you will call the police and have her arrested for trespassing....
                    Today, 12:49 PM
                  Working...
                  X