Best Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Advice

What's the best advice you've ever received and how have you applied it at work?
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

I used to sweat the smallest things. To this day I still do at times. A First Class Petty Officer on the carrier I was on, named John Brittain, once took me aside and told me to stop "sweating the small stuff and prioritize". Helped me thru the service and when I ran shops and also as a self storage manager. Even after hours I would catch myself going to the office to check the gate log and camera feeds, almost every night after closing. Then I remembered what he said.

I had led a pretty sheltered life before the service and that is when I started meeting people from all walks of life from all over the states. I found out they weren't all like me and to worry about that was a waste of my time.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

"Tie your shoes in the morning before leaving for work. If you're to busy bending over to tie your shoes, you won't be able to look your customer in the eye."

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
        I used to sweat the smallest things. To this day I still do at times. A First Class Petty Officer on the carrier I was on, named John Brittain, once took me aside and told me to stop "sweating the small stuff and prioritize". Helped me thru the service and when I ran shops and also as a self storage manager. Even after hours I would catch myself going to the office to check the gate log and camera feeds, almost every night after closing. Then I remembered what he said.

I had led a pretty sheltered life before the service and that is when I started meeting people from all walks of life from all over the states. I found out they weren't all like me and to worry about that was a waste of my time.
        I was told something similar

If you take care of the big/important things than all the small stuff will sort itself out

I was also told - don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things -

Comment

Yea, I forgot about that "sweaty things" warning as well.
          "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Relax. Their lack of effort and planning doesn't constitute an emergency on your part. The rules are the rules, if they dont like it they can lump it. Nothing personal. Stay calm, but firm.
            You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

"Pick your battles"
              I learned this when I had children, but it applies at work too. There are some things I am just not willing to get worked up for.

Comment

"5 minutes of planning saves 2 hours of work (or fixing mistakes)"

When doing anything, be it problem solving, budgeting, research etc. I always take a few minutes to stop and think:

1. Is this the best use of my time? (Prioritize)
                2. What is my goal/end result?
                3. What do I think I need to reach said goal/result? (If you don't have the time/money/tools, you may need to revise the goal or come back to it later)

Then as I go about the task:
                4. Is this relevant to 1-3?

Not perfect but keeps me on track pretty well and puts things in perspective.

Comment

From a guy (a serious jackwagon) I never respected, but his advice was sound. Be firm, but fair.
                  Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

It's not so much the advise itself but who it came from. Barry Hoeven was visiting our site and the regional was always harping about numbers of a site we just took over that was a major dump/rat infestation we were flipping. Barry and I were talking and I brought up my concerns over the crazy timeframe and he laughed and said to ignore the regional, nothing is overnight and that he knows it typically takes about 6 months for the changes they were wanting to fully take hold.

Comment

Originally posted by Orkocean View Post
                      It's not so much the advise itself but who it came from. Barry Hoeven was visiting our site and the regional was always harping about numbers of a site we just took over that was a major dump/rat infestation we were flipping. Barry and I were talking and I brought up my concerns over the crazy timeframe and he laughed and said to ignore the regional, nothing is overnight and that he knows it typically takes about 6 months for the changes they were wanting to fully take hold.
                      Doesn't it feel amazing when someone can offer you advice or just a word in a trying time and it makes it feel like the weight of the world has been lifted off your shoulders?

Comment

Best peace of mind comment I ever received, that I will never forget, I got on here. It came from Gina6k when I was stressing over my children being raised at a storage facility. She reminded me that the property was an adventure for children and that I was passing along work ethic to them. They are all grown but some of their favorite memories are from the facility we lived on almost 10 years ago. And they all possess an extreme work ethic. Makes me proud.

Stephanie Tharpe
                        President
                        A+ Management Group, LP
                        Nashville, TN
                        www,aplusmanagementgroup.com

TNSSA Board of Directors
                        www.tnssa.net

Comment

Best advice about self storage I ever got was from my previous manager while I was working as an assistant.

Never think of this as 'selling' self storage (I hated the concept of selling anything - and really sucked as an assistant in the beginning), think of this as providing for a need. The customer needs storage and help with that need.

As soon as my mindset changed, this job became a breeze, some months I would rent more units than the managers (working two of the slowest days per week) - 6 years later, my wife and I run the facility I was an assistant at.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X