Announcement

Collapse

New Membership Approvals

Hello! We're thrilled you want to be a part of Self-Storage Talk! Please be patient with us as registration make take longer to process around the holidays. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
See more
See less

Promotional ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promotional ideas

Hi all, I haven't been here for a while. I miss reading the posts. I do have a question. Have any of you used promotional techniques to get more units rented? I have always been in the 90 percentile for units being rented, but recently had a slew move out due to new homes, garages built, etc and I would like to fill back up. Any good ideas for a promotion to get people in. I know this is a hard time of year with the holidays and all, but hopefully will fill back up soon. Thanks for any suggestions!

Are we talking big units, small units, or a mix? If it's small I always recommend the classic Santa Stash. For bigger ones, maybe a certain percentage off for a few months?

Comment

Originally posted by jewelgreg View Post
      Hi all, I haven't been here for a while. I miss reading the posts. I do have a question. Have any of you used promotional techniques to get more units rented? I have always been in the 90 percentile for units being rented, but recently had a slew move out due to new homes, garages built, etc and I would like to fill back up. Any good ideas for a promotion to get people in. I know this is a hard time of year with the holidays and all, but hopefully will fill back up soon. Thanks for any suggestions!
      I said quite a while back that the better economy, caused by you know who, has allowed people to go back to bigger living arrangements and garages and such and now they have retrieved their belongings that they wanted to keep, from the storage units. When the economy was bad there was also a rush to build new facilities and now there is a glut of units. Lots of facilities also raised there rents many times during that "feast" period and now during the "famine" period they don't want to lower rents and now run move in specials all the time. We don't do that here. We did not raise rents as high as others and do not do move in specials. I really push the security here and keep the place looking pristine. Promotions are great but if people have "no need" because they now have a better job, make more money and are living in a larger home, the facilities re over stocked with units and our vacancy %'s are going to be higher.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Same here, we usually are in the 95 to 99% range, but have had an almost 8 point drop. We had a ton of move outs from people who are buying homes and don't need the extra storage anymore, or they are moving out of state and taking their stuff with them.We also had several new competitors open this year within a 5 mile range. I even convinced our home office to lower our rents to a more competitive range, so at least now we are getting calls. Our current promo is roughly 60% off selected sizes ( any size we have more than 10 available) for the 1st 3 months, we call it a Santa's Closet special. Even with this huge discount we are getting maybe 3-5 rentals a week right now. I have good relationships with most of our competitors and regularly talk to them to gauge how they are doing. I am getting the same stories from everyone ( including all 21 of our stores) rentals are down right now. We keep our properties looking good, our staff is friendly, knowledgeable, and we offer good security, and many other convenient options for prospective tenants- so it isn't that we are not a good choice for them-the demand is just not there right now in our area for storage. One side note: If you do offer a low cost move in special, be sure to vett the customers carefully. ( Extremely Low move in cost usually means low quality customers: meaning those who go from place to place because the cant follow rules, who are being evicted or who are homeless.)
        You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

"One side note: If you do offer a low cost move in special, be sure to vett the customers carefully. ( Extremely Low move in cost usually means low quality customers: meaning those who go from place to place because the cant follow rules, who are being evicted or who are homeless.)"

Exactly why we do not do move in specials.
          "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Wow thank you all for your suggestions and thoughts. I am happy to know that the move outs are not just happening to me, although I wish is wasn't happening to anyone quite frankly. But we have a very nice complex, clean, gated, cameras etc, the best facility around actually so I think you guys are right, it is the economy. It is good and people are building, adding additions, moving and so forth. I think I will wait out the storm and hopefully we will fill back up in the Spring. Again thank you all for your comments.

Comment

It has been a bit slow here. We are down about 8 units from last year to date.
              But the rent raises have made up for it.
              The only promotional item we give is a nice pen with a stylus on it. tenants love them. Many times during rental a tenant will say can I have one of these pens. Sure you can.
              Joe Krezdorn
              DAK Self Storage
              Leesport, PA 19533
              www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

Same here, our unit occupancy has been a bit low, company average across our sites 86% (we've also added new units at a few sites), but our economic occupancy is at an all time high (percentage and dollar totals) due to consistent rate increases on all customers. We use storEDGE and push our discounts to all the 3rd party sites and our website. Because we're building the discounts we can do what ever (with sparefoot, for non-integrated sites, you are stuck to their generic discounts) we have the following discounts say and do:

100% - 94% - RENT OR RESERVE NOW! Limited Units!
                94% -79% - 25% Off the rest of the month when you enroll in auto pay
                79% - 60% - 1st Month 50% off when you enroll in auto pay
                60% - 0% - 1st Two Months 50% Off when you enroll in auto pay

We require all customers who get a discount to do auto pay with us. Most of the customers who get a discount have either rented or reserved online, but the vast majority of the rentals are drive by and referrals.
                Thanks,

-Ryan

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• KrisinNC
                  Reply to Expanded metal fencing... do you have experience with this?
                  by KrisinNC
                  Or you could electrify your current fence with a box/wire used for horses/cattle. IT won't ~kill~ them, but it packs a punch. I'd know, I've bumped into a few. ...
                  Yesterday, 09:44 PM
                • evansr
                  Reply to Promotional ideas
                  by evansr
                  Same here, our unit occupancy has been a bit low, company average across our sites 86% (we've also added new units at a few sites), but our economic occupancy is at an all time high (percentage and dollar totals) due to consistent rate increases on all customers. We use storEDGE and push our discounts...
                  Yesterday, 09:13 PM
                • Storman
                  Reply to Expanded metal fencing... do you have experience with this?
                  by Storman
                  This expanded metal comes in many thicknesses and sizes. The 3/4" and 9 gauge is likely much heavier than what you used for your trailer ramp. The 4x8 sheets that I'm looking at cost about $60 each, but the added cost of galvanizing and delivering them to my facility is what bumps them to ~$100...
                  Yesterday, 07:55 PM
                Working...
                X