Crime in Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crime in Progress

A pair of news items today show the difference between proactive and passive management. Give them a read and let me know what you think.

Man Charged in Baraboo, WI, Self-Storage Thefts
    Man Shoots Childhood Friend in DeBary, FL, Self-Storage Unit
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Well-the first manager should have been checking the empty units-(it's why we lock ours), but otherwise went above and beyond in identifying this mutt. Long term jail time deserved.
    2nd manager should have known someone was living in their unit and evicted them as soon as they knew. Would it have stopped the murder? No idea.
    Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Two examples of managers/owners not checking the facility units at least daily. Or they were blind.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Both broken individuals - both ex-con's and life has lead them to make the same mistakes. I think both facilities tried (try) to do the best they can. In regards to the thefts - they got lucky to identify him via social media. He made the classic thief mistake - he went back - otherwise he would have gotten away with it. The murder, he shot his childhood friend, so what do you think might of happened if some manager or worse yet, an assistant manager, tried to get him to leave - would it have been a story about a self storage manager being murdered. Since there is not a nationwide - DO NOT RENT list and since self storage is driven by profits, we are not in this for goodwill and charity, self storage operators will continue to rent to bad people (murderers, thieves, all sorts of bad people, including white collar criminals). I have rented to people, only to check later on the internet, to find they have committed all sorts of crimes. I just keep a closer eye on them, their unit and the units around them. A few of them have been the perfect tenants, paid on-time and never an issue. Some I hoped would leave and they did.

I have rented to the wrong people and I sleep better at night when they have vacated. As a self storage professional, I try to keep an open mind and learn everyday in this job. All I know for sure, is that I don't know everything.

Comment

Sorry, but the managers are mostly to blame. I see it too often, managers let stuff go or don't care or don't pay attention. There is a place here in my town that as long as the bill is paid, the manager/owner doesn't care what the unit is used for. I've seen it here on the boards too (not as bad but some are very lax on rules). Give an in, they take a mile, and stuff like this happens. Not on my watch

Comment

Especially with resident manager(s), how the hell can the facility be safe and the office be safe and the residence be safe if you "let the inmates run the asylum". If you are a manager or an owner and let things like this happen, #1-you should stand by to have a bigger problem down the road and #2-you need to be out of this business.
            "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
              Especially with resident manager(s), how the hell can the facility be safe and the office be safe and the residence be safe if you "let the inmates run the asylum". If you are a manager or an owner and let things like this happen, #1-you should stand by to have a bigger problem down the road and #2-you need to be out of this business.
              As a resident manager, how can you sleep if you rent to Evil Tom, Sketchy Dick and Horrible Harry? I think you'd have to be doubly cautious and careful, just to be safe.
              Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

I've been a resident manager from one coast to the other for 8 years now. I can't fathom how some can be the type to not care or pay attention to their property. This is the place we live, even if we don't own the property we are going to treat it like we do. Can't tell you how many times we've gone out at night to inspect the property or even around it because of odd noises heard, thankfully never had any actual issues but if you do something to the property i'm at i'm taking it personally and responding as such.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X