Storage Hoarders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storage Hoarders

Came across an interesting show about hoarders using storage. The host helps people with packed units get rid of their stuff by throwing it out or selling it. Take a look and tell me what you think.

Does anyone have a hoarder at their facility?
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

I do have a hoarder at my facility actually I have more than one. I was doing some math and I have one personal none business tenant that has paid me over $100,000 in rent over the last decade.

I told my dad that we should think of naming a building after them.

Comment

I'm confident I have a number of hoarders. Like Randy, many have been here 30 years and paid well over $100,000 in rent. I don't mind hoarders, but the last few I've had to empty after decades have all been storing food in violation of the lease.

From what I could tell, the varmints that did make it into the units have all died of old age too. There must have been a real party for the first few years until the food ran out, then the whole herd died of starvation.

I think there's a touch of hoarder in every customer at a storage facility. Some just have it worse than others.

In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

Originally posted by Storman View Post
        I'm confident I have a number of hoarders. Like Randy, many have been here 30 years and paid well over $100,000 in rent. I don't mind hoarders, but the last few I've had to empty after decades have all been storing food in violation of the lease.

From what I could tell, the varmints that did make it into the units have all died of old age too. There must have been a real party for the first few years until the food ran out, then the whole herd died of starvation.

I think there's a touch of hoarder in every customer at a storage facility. Some just have it worse than others.
        Yup.
        Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

We definitely have a few hoarders here. As far as the show, on one hand I think it's great that they are helping out..on the other, if it were my facility, I would tell her to mind her business and don't encourage my tenant to vacate lol

Comment

Originally posted by AngelaESSTX View Post
            We definitely have a few hoarders here. As far as the show, on one hand I think it's great that they are helping out..on the other, if it were my facility, I would tell her to mind her business and don't encourage my tenant to vacate lol
            Exactly what I was thinking! As long as they're paying rent I don't care.

Comment

When I was an asst manager we had a gal in San Diego-partially homeless. She was probably mentally ill and always packed photos of blurry images that she thought meant the police were after her. She had a drive up 10x20 that was PACKED with garbage/stuff she collected off of the street. We finally had terminated her lease due to being on premises after hours . Her daughter came to help her with getting her stuff moved and was horrified by the contents. It took them a solid week to get everything out and moved. (lots of loud discussions between mother and daughter) I don't know if she moved to another facility or not.
              Last facility had several 'hoarder' type situations. This one, I have a few.
              Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Not many hoarders that I know of here.. however- after peeking at the contents of a few units while doing a "walk by" while they were here with their doors wide open- it astounds me what people will pay to store. Admittedly I don't have a trained eye for antiques or collectibles, but I would guess that the majority of stuff packed away in those units would not be fit for donating at GoodWill.
                You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

Someone's trash is someone else's treasure. NOT! Trash is trash. I have cringed when I have looked in some units. I also wondered why they paid good money to store that trash. I have seen lots of treasure too but Good God what some people will call valuable enough to pay to store. Again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so if they pay and it doesn't reek f stink and causes no problems, store away!
                  "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                    Someone's trash is someone else's treasure. NOT! Trash is trash. I have cringed when I have looked in some units. I also wondered why they paid good money to store that trash. I have seen lots of treasure too but Good God what some people will call valuable enough to pay to store. Again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so if they pay and it doesn't reek f stink and causes no problems, store away!
                    I am a big fan of this. As long as you're not violating the lease I don't care.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LoisG
                      Reply to I have to stop doing this...
                      by LoisG
                      Now that would be cool to have the police store evidence in a storage locker. Definitely a good way to establish a relationship with your local police. This would be a good marketing idea in our area actually....

At my last property we let people work out of their units. Usually...
                      Today, 05:37 PM
                    • KrisinWA
                      by KrisinWA
                      So, what happens is that if they're 'visiting' they're closing the door and sleeping, drinking/eating, or changing their clothes and generally 'hanging out' for 2 or 3 hours (or more), instead of actually going through their items, moving things or placing or removing items....
                      Today, 05:30 PM
                    • MusicCity Gal
                      by MusicCity Gal
                      Oh I have no doubt about that and that is something to be very proud of! Your posts are always great and I have always thought you were a fantastic manager!

I just like to add different perspectives for people to think about, especially newcomers on our boards.

Since I have...
                      Today, 05:26 PM
                    Working...
                    X