C-Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C-Virus

I am wondering how folks here think this will affect our industry? I truly believe that since we Bailed out the banks, they should defer any loan payment without penalties or interest. It would certainly ease many peoples concern about not working for two weeks or more.
    As for us it is a tough call I was not bailed out in the housing crash and almost lost everything to School taxes not being paid.

I might consider waiving late fees for a month. But still not sure what to do. What are you guys going to do?

I know this will be hard, but I really think we as Americans are going to come back stronger than ever.
    I have already decided to search harder for American made products. It is not only the right thing to do to help ALL American business but a matter of National security.
    We rely too much on China and other Countries.
    I heard a Container ship was on its way here with Masks and gowns and was called back to China. That is Unacceptable and we Americans need to change our thought process to buy as much as we can from American businesses.
    Joe Krezdorn
    DAK Self Storage
    Leesport, PA 19533
    www.dakselfstorage.com

Joe,

We are going to waive any late fees for April. I wiped down the keypad the other day. My facility is unmanned so there's really not too much to do during my weekly visits. I'm always long when it comes to the US we have bounced back from some tough situations and we will certainly do it again!

Comment

I've talked with quite a lot of our users about this actually, and it seems like a few common things that people are planning on doing are:
      • sending out precaution letters from their management software
      • waiving late fees for April
      • pushing autopay signups to minimize traffic

I agree with you both too. We will bounce back.

If there is anything as vendors that we can do to help, make sure you let us know too.
      Kevin Kerr
      Storage Commander Cloud Software
      k[email protected]
      Direct - 951.867.4732

Comment

We have been pretty dead business wise. I had 1 walk in this morning. Yesterday I had 0 calls and 0 walk ins. Only a few payments by phone. I have 3 pages of delinquent tenants which is a first for me. I am working on collection calls today, but I have little hope people are going to pay right now with the uncertainty of having an income due to their jobs closing over this virus.
        You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

This virus is much less deadly than the common flu and people NEED to understand that fact. BUT the media and establishment are pushing for business closures to try and hurt Trump which is working.

The snowball has already started rolling down hill and it can't be stopped now, the masses are jumping on it simply because everyone else is doing it. The stores are out of TP and other paper items, canned foods, water etc... as if this is a real threat, which it is not.

Here in AK we've had one case, the person is fine now yet the stores are filled with people while the shelves are empty. The media spread panic is crazy.

We are open for business as usual and not expecting that to change anytime soon.

Comment

We have closed our office for the next 4 weeks, and will only allow rentals through my web site. We will also not be accepting in person transactions during that time. We have expanded our phone payment hours. But we really don't see this creating an issue as we don't see a ton of foot traffic in our office.

I will also not be overlocking units or starting lien processes this month or next. I had just started a lien process a week ago and I think I will pause that for the time being.

I am thinking about pausing automated notices too, but need to talk with StorEdge before I decide what I will do with that.

Comment

I agree with Grizz on this. In our small town we've had the usual TP outage, but about the only other thing that has happened is that McDonalds has closed down their dining room. As far as I can see, all other restaurants are operating as usual. I talked with the owner of one of the mom and pop restaurants at lunch today and she is scared. Their business is down almost 50% and she's scared that Georgia will soon forced all dining rooms to close. Even in areas where no cases have been reported. As of today our state has 121 confirmed cases and 1 death. I wonder what the figures on the regular flu would be?

Comment

Here in NJ we also have no TP. LOL
                The stores are out of everything even early in the morning.
                At our locations we have closed U Haul rentals and have cut our office hours to 10am-2pm Monday thru Friday and we will now close on Saturdays.
                We are no longer working in teams too!
                Our company is so gracious to us employee's!
                Even though we are only working a 4 hour day/20 hours a week, they will stay pay the full timers a 40 hour week and the part timers will work 10 hour and continue to be paid for their 20 hours (usually worked)
                NJ has shut down all malls and the restaurants are only allowed to sell take out!
                Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Hunker down and stay smart and use your common sense. We sent a letter out via email and have made the decision to credit late fees for April but on a case by case basis and not telling tenants in a letter that all their late fees for April will be credited. I saw where some of you sent letters about this.
                  "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

This isn't going to be over anytime soon, so we are trying to adjust to the new normal and not inadvertently kill our older customers, cause COVID-19 is much deadlier to the at risk population than the flu is. If your state's numbers are low, check to see how many have been tested. It's probably a small number. Even in NY, with our high number and push for testing I know a few people who can't get a test and they've a) been exposed to an infected person and b) have a fever.

So we are in NY right by the hardest hit town. It has not slowed foot traffic at all and most of the ones coming in are older and most at risk! Also I have heard from several older veterans the equivalent of well if the military didn't kill me, this won't either. (Which is not true) Sigh. They also seem to have this unrelenting need to touch everything... We've been sanitizing like crazy. We will shut our doors after this weekend, but keep the phones open to process payments and set up new rentals.

We actually are going to use this time to redo our office and get long standing maintenance projects done, so everyone should have some hours for work. (Lots of doors to shine...)

We've really been pushing collection calls to try and get as much in as possible. Right now we are doing our paperwork for April because everyone on that list is not new and has been warned several times (NY has a reaaaaaallly long lien process). We usually work with our customers so everything is on a case by case basis.

What else is everyone doing to keep busy?

Comment

Busy on CL looking around and at my Tahoe/Yukon forum helping with vehicle repair problems. I can stay busy there all day and time flies. Did just get a call about someone on the way to rent a unit.
                      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

I think it will blunt any unfunded future plans for new self storage development and that may be a small benefit as we are seeing the effects of market saturation throughout the nation. I think companies that survived the recession before will want to hang onto their cash reserves and try to restructure debt (both short term and long term with more favorable terms) and only spend or negotiate to buy when they see an incredible deal. Any down turn or recession will hurt operators that are running a loose business and these may become prime targets to be bought or acquired - I don't foresee contraction (the closing of facilities) but I do see consolidation.

I believe a bank should work with you, should the need arise, but the interest should continue to accrue - a give and take approach and this should be a one-time deal. The banks were bailed out by the government and in exchange for the bail out the government took partial ownership of corporations that accepted the money. This approach worked to help keep the corporations afloat during a very tough period and protected the government and by extension the American taxpayer. When the corporations were back on their feet the government sold their interest in the companies and made the American taxpayer a nice profit (over $75 billion). - 1/19/2017 Financial Crisis Bailout Have Earned Taxpayers Billions, Wayne Duggan, US News and World Report.

I believe we have decided to waive the late fee during the month of April since we understand that the nature of this virus and the various shutdowns it has caused may result in financial hardships that ripple through the economy. Since we do not make a large amount of revenue from late fee's to begin with - to waive the fee for a tenant that is struggling would show that we understand their struggle and would earn us some possible future goodwill. We have decided to be the good guys during these times and let the virus and others be the bad guys. It costs very little (or nothing) to do the right thing and we may earn a long-term tenant in the process that would stay and pay rent for years.

I hope your right, that America does power through these tough times to become, a better Nation.

In regards, to the container ship, I have not heard any news about that. However, I do know, that many Chinese corporations are owned wholly or in part by the government. There are a few different political parties in China but the CPC is essentially in power making it basically a one party system. Since to be the owner or chairman of a Chinese corporation requires you to be a party member. I do not doubt if the government deemed it a national emergency or public health crisis, that they would instruct the owner of the company to turn that ship around and return that product to China or face charges of treason. I do not think it is far-fetched that any country would do the same if faced with a similar ordeal. Which goes to your point, that America should have these industries here.

Unfortunately, this virus is dangerous and deadly and what makes it so, is not how virulent it is. Ebola has one of the highest mortality rates of any virus, extremely dangerous and extremely deadly - however, you rarely see cases outside of Africa. The reason for this is that it can rarely survive for long outside the body and sickens a person to a point where they can not travel unassisted. There also has not been a documented case of air transmission - however, that is a slight possibility. What makes this virus so dangerous is its ability to be passed on surfaces and through the air while the infected person can show varying signs of infection, from almost nothing to extreme respiratory distress. Obviously, numbers change over time - but the mortality rate in Italy was around 8 %, as of Tuesday - this may be due in part to the large number of inter-generational families that reside in single household's where one infected person would infect all members of the family - and this number is expected to drop as more people are tested. However, based on the number of American's - approximately 330,446,000 even a 1% mortality rate, if every person in America caught the virus, would be 3,304,460 deaths. So, based on that, I think it is prudent and the responsibility of every American to help reduce the transmission of the virus - even if your not interested in another's well-being, do it in your own self-interest, so as not to get sick.

There is no pill, there is no shot that will cure or provide immunity at this time.

Heeded the wisdom of Noah and built the ark before the flood. We pay attention to the news and this was just a byline at the end of 2019 but talked about it since my wife is Asian and one of the secondary countries is where her family is from. When it jumped to America started taking it more serious, since most of my family has worked one time or another in the airline industry and airplanes help spread any virus.

We have been directed to use the time for Spring cleaning - various file audits and touch up projects, projects that have been on the back burner or forgotten about.

Letting the assistant's decide if they want to work or not - up to them.

Wishing for the best outcome for America and my fellow American's.

Comment

As posted on facebook by my husband and myself:
                          So, apparently people are still confused about being responsible during this COVID-19 situation. There's more to this than self preservation. Maybe you're young, and or in great health.

Maybe this virus will have little effect on your health. This isn't about YOU, this is about ALL of US as a whole. When YOU don't follow the proper precautions, you risk exposure. Then you become a carrier exposing other people around you. And they in turn expose people around them. This is how it spreads to the most vulnerable with existing health issues, who cannot fight this virus and end up in the hospital using critical space and resources, only to probably die.

Be responsible, not just for you and your loved ones, but for the whole community around you.

Don't be foolish and stand in groups waiting outside a store before it opens trying to get TP or sanitizer, which probably isn't on the shelf anyway. Don't be selfish, think about everyone else. Please.
                          Throw kindness around like Confetti - But don't get glitter in your eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by twotoejoe View Post
                            I agree with Grizz on this. In our small town we've had the usual TP outage, but about the only other thing that has happened is that McDonalds has closed down their dining room. As far as I can see, all other restaurants are operating as usual. I talked with the owner of one of the mom and pop restaurants at lunch today and she is scared. Their business is down almost 50% and she's scared that Georgia will soon forced all dining rooms to close. Even in areas where no cases have been reported. As of today our state has 121 confirmed cases and 1 death. I wonder what the figures on the regular flu would be?
                            Here is an excellent website for those that want to track the COVID 19 virus. This website was developed by a 17 year old high school boy it updates every few minutes. https://ncov2019.live/data
                            Throw kindness around like Confetti - But don't get glitter in your eyes!

Comment

Attention all single women

I'm single, looking for LTR and have plenty of TP

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X