Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help numbering a new facility

Hello all,

I have a large 3 story facility that is under construction and I need to layout the unit numbers. There are multiple hallway in all directions. Does anyone have an idea or a rule of thumb when it comes to numbering the units. I just can't seem to have it make any sense when I try.

Thanks

Ohboy-I've numbered a place like that. Get big maps of the three floors separately and then make a couple of copies and play around. And keep it standard for all three floors to make it easier for the managers.
    Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Not sure it's a good suggestion, but it's the only one i have. haha! if the hallways are divided up, you could always make each hallway a different letter, so the main hallway on the 1st floor could start with A101. A102, etc. Then on a different hallway, switch to B101, B102. Then for the second floor, A201, A202. then the third floor A301, A302. Not sure if that would help, but it's all i can think of right now. I can try to draw something up in a little bit if i get some down time.

Comment

Here is what we do. Number each floor based on the floor like a hotel. First floor start at unit 100, 2nd floor unit 200 etc. Then walk the floors a few times to see which way is the easiest for you to navigate. Then number the units going across from each other, odd numbers on one side, even numbers on the other side. Then order signs to direct tenants which direction to go like hotels. Room 100 - 163 >

Remember that you want to make the unit numbering work for YOU and not the customer. You or your employees are who will be doing the daily walk-thru and checking unit status and it needs to be easy for them to navigate, and easy for you to navigate when you conduct property audits.

Go visit some large hotels if you need to. It helps tremendously. But wait until it is safe to do so.
        Stephanie Tharpe
        President
        A+ Management Group, LP
        Nashville, TN
        www.aplusmanagementgroup.com

TNSSA Board of Directors
        www.tnssa.net

Comment

Just slap them on randomly and that will always confuse a thief trying to get to a certain unit. Don't worry about employee confusion or tenant confusion, they will figure it all out within 6 months.
          "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
            Just slap them on randomly and that will always confuse a thief trying to get to a certain unit. Don't worry about employee confusion or tenant confusion, they will figure it all out within 6 months.
            Lol, that's the WORST idea! Geez-that poor manager!
            Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

"Numbers? We don't need no stinkin' numbers!"

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinWA View Post

Lol, that's the WORST idea! Geez-that poor manager!
                Right? But I did think Pac's response was funny!
                Stephanie Tharpe
                President
                A+ Management Group, LP
                Nashville, TN

TNSSA Board of Directors
                www.tnssa.net

Comment

Originally posted by MusicCity Gal View Post

Right? But I did think Pac's response was funny!
                  I live to make you laugh every day, Steph. Plus, I still think it is a great idea. Makes the day interesting. Plus, the looks on the tenant's faces would be priceless.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post

I live to make you laugh every day, Steph. Plus, I still think it is a great idea. Makes the day interesting. Plus, the looks on the tenant's faces would be priceless.
                    LOL! Almost every time I read your posts I laugh, so job well done. The funny thing is that I agree with you most of the time!
                    Stephanie Tharpe
                    President
                    A+ Management Group, LP
                    Nashville, TN

TNSSA Board of Directors
                    www.tnssa.net

Comment

Originally posted by MusicCity Gal View Post

LOL! Almost every time I read your posts I laugh, so job well done. The funny thing is that I agree with you most of the time!
                      Don't brag too widely about agreeing with me here too much. Next thing you know the media will be asking you "gotcha questions". Sometimes I have no filter and I know I say things that some just think about but are afraid to say. If I fixed vehicles the way some go thru the day "Helter Skelter" at some facilities, I would have comebacks out the WAZOO!

I approach my work day knowing that no one cares as much about my facility as I do. NO ONE! My facility has a reputation in this city and I live by that rep every day, even when I am closed. I have never ran an unsuccessful business. Neither does Steph.

Comment

I did something similar than what others have mentioned. Ground floor units start with 1 and go through 292. 2nd floor on one side starts with 301. Ground floor on the opposites side to the 200 units starts with 401, 2nd story above those start with 501. So, when I'm looking at a number I know where it is on the site.

Additionally, people seem to be impressed when they see numbers going up to 530, even though I only have 375 units.

In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X