Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is renting storage spaces considered "essential"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is renting storage spaces considered "essential"?

OK, we're in the Washington State and our office stayed open during this 2 week quarantine order (we provide essential service: mailboxes, storage units for essential business, etc.)

But are we allowed to rent new units? I had people asking over the phone this morning and I already had a lady that came over looking for a unit.

We are open as an essential business in Tennessee and Florida and yes, we are renting units. We are asking customers to rent online on our website and we are unlocking their unit and leaving their lock in the unit to avoid face to face interaction along with following recommended practices set forth by the CDC.
    Stephanie Tharpe
    President
    A+ Management Group, LP
    Nashville, TN
    www.aplusmanagementgroup.com

TNSSA Board of Directors
    www.tnssa.net

Comment

If you are allowed to be open by the state, rent the units but be very careful, like Steph said.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

We are referring people to online rentals and our kiosk. Glad that we have kiosk to direct the customers to. Alot feel more easy using that - I just make sure that its clean and have a sign stating that it is regularly disinfected.

Comment

Originally posted by MusicCity Gal View Post
          We are open as an essential business in Tennessee and Florida and yes, we are renting units. We are asking customers to rent online on our website and we are unlocking their unit and leaving their lock in the unit to avoid face to face interaction along with following recommended practices set forth by the CDC.
          Yes, I understand all that. We also have it posted on our website and on social media.

The problem is that our website probably reaches about 20% of our customers. And new renters, especially older people, don't even know it exists.

Like this lady, she just showed up and wanted a unit. That is why I'm asking what you guys are doing in that situation?

As kiosks go, then we don't have any. If we had them, the site would be filled with homeless people, etc. Especially in this area. Before this whole virus thing hit, I wouldn't rent to anyone without a face-to-face meeting in our office. They can sign up and pay online, but to get a gate code they need to come to the office. So I'm not sure how this will change now. I hope we don't end up going the automated kiosk route.

PS. You know, just as I was typing this, I got a call from another lady asking for a storage unit. I offered her to sign up online or via email and she replied that she doesn't do that. So what would you tell people like her?

Comment

We're not renting units for the foreseeable future unless it's done online-period.
            Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Originally posted by bnr_manager View Post

Yes, I understand all that. We also have it posted on our website and on social media.

The problem is that our website probably reaches about 20% of our customers. And new renters, especially older people, don't even know it exists.

Like this lady, she just showed up and wanted a unit. That is why I'm asking what you guys are doing in that situation?

As kiosks go, then we don't have any. If we had them, the site would be filled with homeless people, etc. Especially in this area. Before this whole virus thing hit, I wouldn't rent to anyone without a face-to-face meeting in our office. They can sign up and pay online, but to get a gate code they need to come to the office. So I'm not sure how this will change now. I hope we don't end up going the automated kiosk route.

PS. You know, just as I was typing this, I got a call from another lady asking for a storage unit. I offered her to sign up online or via email and she replied that she doesn't do that. So what would you tell people like her?
              Well you can take their information over the phone, including credit card info, even if they are outside your door. Have them wait in the car while you go unlock the unit and place their lock in it (if they purchase one from you) Have them take a photo of their ID with their phone and text it to you. Leave their lease in the unit and have them sign it and drop in your mailbox or drop box.

If you have to take a payment or anything that requires you to have contact, wash your hands immediately and wipe down counter.

Or you can simply say that due to extreme circumstances, we are only offering online rentals.

Last edited by MusicCity Gal; 25th March 2020, 04:51 PM.
              Stephanie Tharpe
              President
              A+ Management Group, LP
              Nashville, TN

TNSSA Board of Directors
              www.tnssa.net

Comment

Originally posted by MusicCity Gal View Post

Well you can take their information over the phone, including credit card info, even if they are outside your door. Have them wait in the car while you go unlock the unit and place their lock in it (if they purchase one from you) Have them take a photo of their ID with their phone and text it to you. Leave their lease in the unit and have them sign it and drop in your mailbox or drop box.
                OK, that's a good idea. It's like a whole new way of renting these now. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by bnr_manager View Post

OK, that's a good idea. It's like a whole new way of renting these now. Thanks
                  I used to do that a lot before we had online rentals and someone wanted a unit after regular business hours. If they don't return the signed lease in 5 business days, I would lock them out until they did. Of course I would call them too. I remember when no one had emails and nobody in our industry had a website LOL!
                  Stephanie Tharpe
                  President
                  A+ Management Group, LP
                  Nashville, TN

TNSSA Board of Directors
                  www.tnssa.net

Comment

Like Steph said, there is always a way around some things when it comes to personal safety.

Comment

I just did what Steph mentioned and had the new tenant text me a picture of her DL.
                      She rented online so that does help a lot. I told her I would either facetime her in her car or talk through the door.
                      Joe Krezdorn
                      DAK Self Storage
                      Leesport, PA 19533
                      www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

I convinced the powers that be today to let me work from home for the next 2 weeks after I emailed them a local news story this morning about an employee at the business right next to us that just tested positive for COVID-19. I was already pushing for this simply due to the higher foot-traffic in the office near the end/beginning of the month. The plan is to make a once per day visit to the property to check units, get the mail, deposit checks, etc. but no in-person customer interaction unless absolutely necessary. I can access our computer remotely via TeamViewer and can rent units via SiteLink eSign. It's not ideal, but I do not want to contract this virus nor transfer it to others. I already had a few customers yesterday not following the CDC guidelines and leaning right on the counter near my face, walking close to me as I'm trying to show a unit, etc. I can't believe how many people are not taking this seriously.

Comment

Yesterday I had a prospective tenant in and he leaned on the counter and I backed up and asked him to have a seat in the chairs about 7 feet away. He took exception to that. I told him it was my way of being safe for the "both" of us. He still wanted to express his displeasure. I told him I was full and had no units. He stared at me and told me he did not think I was full. I said, well I am. He was gone after that. He had told me he was a professional musician and wanted to store amps and music cases. I waited till he was gone and said to myself, "you are not a professional musician, you are a professional idiot!"

I am also getting a call or two of people that are desperate for a unit because they got kicked out of where they were living because of the virus problem. Red flag. May try to sleep in the unit. Not gonna happen.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                            I am also getting a call or two of people that are desperate for a unit because they got kicked out of where they were living because of the virus problem. Red flag. May try to sleep in the unit. Not gonna happen.
                            Wow, so heartless! Don't you know that storage facilities are charities, not businesses?! /sarcasm

Comment

You know what's really interesting to me -- I got so many older people today who came into this office as if it's no big deal and like their a$$ wasn't on the line here. Pretty much every single request for a relatal (in person in the office) was someone over the age of 60.

Eventually, pacnwstorage is right, I started getting those types of calls:
                              "What storage do you have for rent?"
                              "What size are you interested in?"
                              "Any size! Need it right now!"
                              Basically a red flag. So I stopped saying that I had anything. Will think about it. Probably will start renting to existing customers only for the time being of this 2-week quarantine to minimize this stupid attitude. I seriously haven't had a decent lead today. Only those "don't care" idiots.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X