HVAC options for climate control in humid climate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HVAC options for climate control in humid climate

I am looking into HVAC options for a climate-controlled facility in Houston, TX. I am getting conflicting info on controlling the humidity. I've talked to one guy who has a 20-ton unit with 2 compressors that uses a hot gas re-heat coil and in the winters the AC will come on to lower the humidity level before it then heats the air. Another guy I talked to said to just get some humidity sensors. The websites I've looked at for the manufacturers like Carrier aren't very straight-forward. For those who have done climate-control, can you tell me which unit you use or provide some advice?

We aren't truly climate controlled in the humidity sense. We use a/c/heaters in our "climate controlled" halls. We are also in the Houston area. Hopefully someone else has better info to offer and good on you for going 100% climate controlled...your systems will definitely get used in our climate!

Comment

There are HVAC units that do control the humidity as well. Our newest projects have these and they are super nice. The question becomes is it worth the extra $$ to have this available. The answer depends on if you think you can sell it as TRUE CC vs the Heat and AC "CC".
      Chasing Perfection to catch Excellence

Comment

We have no a/c or humidity control but do not advertise as climate control. We say heated. There are facilities in the city that advertise climate control and the units are just inside of a building and not heated, no a/c and no humidity control.
        "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

There is a difference between climate controlled units and temperature controlled units. If you do not have an HVAC system or a heating/AC unit with a separate dehumidifier than you should be advertising as temperature control units not climate control.
          Last edited by GM - StacieJ. - BSS; 26th May 2020, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Steve_Hajewski_Columbus_WI_390.JPG
            My storage units are equipped with Quest dehumidifiers. The HVAC system is a standard forced air system (typical for a home in WI) with gas heat and traditional AC. Unlike most occupied spaces, there is no cold air return ductwork. The halls serve as a return duct. The conditioned air is standard metal ductwork. In my system the blower motors are set to run 24/7 to circulate air even when there is no call for heat or cooling. The dehumidifiers are not ducted into the system, they just sit on the floor next to the air intake.

They are triggered on and off by the the thermostats and it works fairly well most of the time.

I have learned however that the dehumidifiers can freeze up when operated in cooler temps. So, I need to turn them off for winter (when they aren't needed in my climate) and when I turn them back on in the spring I need to boost the heat from my usual 50 back up to 60.
            Attached Files

Comment

Miss living in Houston. "Iowa" now.

Couple thoughts to help direct your search:
              a. Temperature- I've only known Houston to get below freezing one time in my life and that was the first day I moved there. Customer benefits- you don't have to worry about freezing. Even if it freezes for several days outside, your building and concrete mass ambient temperature will keep your customers things from freezing.
              b. Temperature- wild swings. I've seen the temperature drop 50 degrees in Iowa in 4 hours, but never experienced that when living in Louisiana or Texas. Customers- temperature change shouldn't impact them.
              c. Humidity- now we're talking. I miss sitting in the shade drinking tea, and having a slight sheen of perspiration. I would worry more about Humidity than temperature.
              d. How big are your electric bills and what months? This will dictate how much you want to research this topic further.
              e. Construction- Metal to metal transfers heat, even if you have an insulated roof. Ask your builder to put spacers between your roof and support. To late, what color is your roof? Aluminum is best, White is next. If dark, you might have a commercial painter paint an aluminum reflective coating.

Talk with your HVAC person. Have them do two studies:
              a. Positive/Negative air flow inside your building, several spots. See if you have ventilation/problems. Don't want to air condition or dehumidify the outside world. If there is an issue, have them mark the areas and have a "spray" foam company do the airtight seal. Use the soft and not the hard spray, this will help with noise reduction.
              b. Tell them you want to achieve xx% humidity inside your building. Ask them to put together a plan for a Dehumidifying system and an HVAC system. Dehumidifiers are far better than HVAC systems getting moisture out of the air, take heat out at the same time and also run on far less electricity.

If your just doing advertising, follow, the posts above on communicating what service you are providing.

Have some fajitas for me at Cadillac.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                We have no a/c or humidity control but do not advertise as climate control. We say heated. There are facilities in the city that advertise climate control and the units are just inside of a building and not heated, no a/c and no humidity control.
                Sooo they're liars? haha!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X