Stupid Things Customers Say

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Things Customers Say

Inspired by this thread, what are some stupid comments you've heard from customers? (Let's keep this PG-13 and free of flaming content)
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

• It's not my stuff so I don't have to worry about paying for it
    • I called all day long and no one answered so I shouldnt be charged a late fee ( called after closing on last day of grace period, did not leave message)
    • I have highlighted parts of the lease I dont agree with and edited it for you.....
    • I just paid you last week, what do you mean its due again! ( They were 3 weeks late when they paid last week.....)
    • I know my rights and you cant sell my stuff, my lawyer says you have to take my partial payment......( they can afford an attorney but not the $79 rent, OK )
    • *Customer: grabs mouse bait box to prop door open*Me: "Hey thats a rattrap, not a doorstop"*Customer: "Well why didnt you tell me that before!?"
    • Its canned food, why cant I store it?
    • Do you know who I am? ( no, does it matter? apparently I have a few high profile peeps here)
    • Your loading dock dented my fender!
    • My kid got hurt by your rolling cart (me: reviews video to find they were racing down the halls riding the carts bc they thought no on would notice after hours, forgetting we had cameras I guess...)
    These are just a few, Im sure there's more. 10 years of storage experiences in this brain of mine. I may have blocked some of the memories LOL
    You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

Yes those are great ones,it seems that they can be very creative.LOL

1.One of my customers called asking me which hospital she should go to as her finger was hurt?.(she had a splinter in her TOE ,because she was wearing flip flops in an old facility with wooden floors,(she had come in barefooted before and we warned her to wear shoes) while moving her stuff out .I don't know where she went.I told her it was her choice,call your insurance company and they would be more than happy to direct you.She did ask if we could give her some cash?,my answer was NO.

2.Your blacktop is too hard and it twisted my ankle so I'm going to sue you (she was running and jumping off the ramp of their U-haul truck)I played the video and then they left,never to be heard from again.(a girl that had come along to help,but instead decided to run and jump).

Comment

Originally posted by wc1974 View Post
        I have highlighted parts of the lease I dont agree with and edited it for you.....
        You're joking, right?

Originally posted by wc1974 View Post
        It's canned food, why cant I store it?
        I don't think that's a stupid question at all. Some facilities allow that in climate units, since the cans are air-tight. Hey, at least they asked you!

One thing I've noticed through the years is that when a tenant hits the gate, it's actually the gate hitting the tenant. Well, according to them anyway. Video says otherwise. Wish I could post the video here, but better not for legal reasons, but we recently had a tenant make a sharp right turn through our gate with a 26-foot Penske truck, taking out the section of fence between a brick column and the gate operator, smashing the side of the operator and dislodging the concrete pad and then kept on going to start unloading the truck, never saying a word. Owner's son happened to drive by and see something awry and called the owner who then called the police. Woman told the police that the gate (a lift gate) "came down on her." The police straightened her out and she now has to legally report the incident to her insurance company.

Oh, here's one from yesterday from a tenant:
        "I was here the other day and saw the sign on the door that you were on the property, but I drove all around and couldn't find you."

First of all, there's a freaking phone number right on the sign to call or text. Secondly, we have close to 1000 units and 3 climate buildings, so unless he drove down every aisle and walked every climate building hallway, of course he couldn't find me. And they say these things with the most surprised expression on their face like they just can't believe I didn't read their mind and teleport to their side.

And then when they do call the number on the sign, they ask, "Are you guys open today? Is somebody here?" I'm so tempted to ask them to read the sign aloud to me, but I just let it go.

Then there's the customers who claim they've come by "x" number of times and "nobody was here." This one really ticks me off because I am ALWAYS here during our listed office hours, and often beyond. And then 9 times out of 10, they can't even tell me WHEN they came by. Riiight.
        Last edited by RMRSS; 16 July 2020, 01:55 PM.

Comment

RMRSS, nope, not joking. Its really hard to keep a straight face when this happens. Granted, its only happened to me 2x, but still. The canned food question though? Rats will chew through those cans. They will also chew through water bottles.
          You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

I have a late tenant angry at me they can't access their unit right now. They magically have the cash to pay but our policy clearly states that we have to meet with you to collect payment when your past due. We all know they will have an envelope full of air for the dropbox! It's not an emergency on my end that you can't handle money.

Comment

"What IS self storage anyway"..... (that's my favorite)
              "Do you have the number for XX down the street?"
              "You're the place in another town right?"
              "What's your phone number?".... wait...didn't you call me?

Comment

Originally posted by RMRSS View Post

First of all, there's a freaking phone number right on the sign to call or text. Secondly, we have close to 1000 units and 3 climate buildings, so unless he drove down every aisle and walked every climate building hallway, of course he couldn't find me. And they say these things with the most surprised expression on their face like they just can't believe I didn't read their mind and teleport to their side.

And then when they do call the number on the sign, they ask, "Are you guys open today? Is somebody here?" I'm so tempted to ask them to read the sign aloud to me, but I just let it go.
                These are my favorite. The sign literally says "Manager on Property please call xxx-xxx-xxxx" With an open sign on the door and a lighted open sign on the next window over. We still get the "Are y'all open?". OR they will just sit out there and wait for us to come back up, without calling and then complain. So when I make it back to the office, I show them the sign and say "If this sign is up, we are on property so please give us a call and we'll be happy to help" (I have perfected my passive-aggressiveness so they think I'm being helpful while calling them an idiot in not so many words).
                I also enjoy the after hours calls "My code wouldn't let me in (denied for non-pmt) so I followed someone in and now I'm stuck in here". I will absolutely pop that gate for you, name on the account? So-n-so. Great! Just be sure not to do this again because next time there will be a $50 tailgating fee.

Comment

A few years back I had gotten a Google review and it basically said "Virtually impossible to get someone on the phone. I have called during regular business hours 3 times now, and I have yet to speak to anyone ... only an irritating answering machine. Pretty sure when you call this place, the phone rings in 1988."

Freaking A**Hole!
                  He/she did NOT leave a message as the outgoing message clearly states to do so so that a manager CAN call you back!
                  And this particular person...I had dialed back the phone number from the caller ID and it was not answered!
                  I LVM that I was trying to help and could they call me back!

Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

I had a first this week. Even though I've had folks call me that were actually looking for another facility, this one had a couple of twists. Monday of this week I had a lady call me all in a huff. She said that her dad had rented from us and had recently passed away. She said she had the key to his unit (#5 supposedly) but had come to my location and OPENED that unit with her key but it had none of his belongings in it. When I finally get his name I have no one with that name and the customer that rents # 5 is a 10 year tenant that is a nationally known musician. When I advise her of this she starts on a rant that she got the sketchy directions from some 'people' that had caused her dad to die. TMI for me. The directions she had were about 8 miles from us! I finally convinced her that her dad never rented from me and that I couldn't help her. I thought I was finished with her.

But Thursday I get another call. Same stuff. I tell the lady that she called me earlier in the week but she claimed that I must have talked to her sister. She said I MUST have rented to her dad as she has a receipt where he paid for the past two months. When I asked her what facility the receipt is from she recites a facility that their name is not even CLOSE to mine and it's 8 miles north. Duh!

Comment

She said she had the key to his unit (#5 supposedly) but had come to my location and OPENED that unit with her key but it had none of his belongings in it.
                      WOW!! Was she actually able to open this unit with her key or was she just saying that to sound like she knows her father stores there?

Pretty crazy if the key actually worked. We get a lot of people who ask us if all our locks are keyed alike... *SMH* *face palm* I'll jokingly tell them "Well, that wouldn't really make your space secure if we allowed everyone to have keys"

Comment

Originally posted by twotoejoe View Post
                        ....When I asked her what facility the receipt is from she recites a facility that their name is not even CLOSE to mine and it's 8 miles north. Duh!
                        I had a current tenant wanting to transfer to a larger unit and swore up and down that she had reserved at a price a WHOLE lot less than our rate was. She forwards me her reservation confirmation...from a facility with a similar name but about 5 states away (their address prominently at the top of the reservation email). When I replied to inform her that it was not our facility, she didn't even have the courtesy to reply back and just moved her unit out. Probably for the best.

Comment

Originally posted by SimplySpace View Post

Pretty crazy if the key actually worked. We get a lot of people who ask us if all our locks are keyed alike... *SMH* *face palm* I'll jokingly tell them "Well, that wouldn't really make your space secure if we allowed everyone to have keys"
                          We don't provide locks here, but they can buy them in-store. We have had them ask us if we can open their lock since they lost their key. I have to explain we don't keep copies of their keys...nevermind the fact they opened the brand new lock OR they brought their own lock!! SMH

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• RandyL
                            Reply to Disaster In Iowa
                            by RandyL
                            Clarkstoragellc T_Champeau

Thanks for the great advice luckily this is not my first disaster. But I have come across many lessons learnt that I will need to improve on for the future. In regards to tenant notifications, and use of cloud computing software.

I have just...
                            Today, 01:46 AM
                          • Clarkstoragellc
                            Reply to New startup business in the midwest....
                            by Clarkstoragellc
                            Do your return and profitability calcs. Parking has a very low return compared to storage. Not a very good first storage investment, unless you happened to find cheap wasteground, or cheap ground that already had hardsurface....
                            Yesterday, 06:23 PM
                          • Clarkstoragellc
                            Reply to New startup business in the midwest....
                            by Clarkstoragellc
                            Customer Considerations:
                            CONSIDERATIONS FOR RV OR VEHICLE STORAGE

A. Pull through- The front, pull as far forward as possible, gives the person next to you an easier angle to turn into, from behind you. Align your front with the fronts of all other vehicles. Be...
                            Yesterday, 06:22 PM
                          Working...
                          X