Someone mentioned costco for security cameras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone mentioned costco for security cameras

I was wondering what you used and if if they can be installed using existing wiring or does the whole shebang need rewiring?
    Is it a DIY or do you need a security expert?

Thanks
    Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

This is one area I don't think you need to compromise in. Our tenants noticed the DIY camera install the former owner did and it was hideous but saved them $100.00 allegedly. Stick with the pros and let them do it.

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinWA View Post
      I was wondering what you used and if if they can be installed using existing wiring or does the whole shebang need rewiring?
      Is it a DIY or do you need a security expert?

Thanks
      If you are looking just to update an older system with new cameras, etc. you should be able to use the existing wiring if it is a wired system. Changing out the cameras shouldn't be a problem for a DIY'er. Otherwise I would consult a pro.

Comment

I used the Avertx cameras from Costco.com on my last project. They have a good image, but the search function is a little odd compared to other systems. Before that I used QSee from Costco. Mostly good with a few quirks. Installing IP cameras requires from networking know how if you will have any wire run over 300 ft. For long runs you end up needing network switches. If you are replacing old cameras and hoping to use the same wiring, you need to know how the system worked, how the cameras were powered, and get one that uses the same type of wiring. Coax vs cat5.

My observation at Costco is that the store has more of a consumer grade camera on the shelf while the web site will have better options.

If you are handy and have the time, you can DIY. Be aware it DOES take a bit of time to wire up a building if you need to start from scratch and if you need to do cable runs between existing buildings you are talking about trenching, pavement patches, and conduits.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_hajewski View Post
          I used the Avertx cameras from Costco.com on my last project. They have a good image, but the search function is a little odd compared to other systems. Before that I used QSee from Costco. Mostly good with a few quirks. Installing IP cameras requires from networking know how if you will have any wire run over 300 ft. For long runs you end up needing network switches. If you are replacing old cameras and hoping to use the same wiring, you need to know how the system worked, how the cameras were powered, and get one that uses the same type of wiring. Coax vs cat5.

My observation at Costco is that the store has more of a consumer grade camera on the shelf while the web site will have better options.

If you are handy and have the time, you can DIY. Be aware it DOES take a bit of time to wire up a building if you need to start from scratch and if you need to do cable runs between existing buildings you are talking about trenching, pavement patches, and conduits.
          Ugh. I can DIY to a certain extent but this is out of my comfort zone.

WA State

Comment

Hire a professional if you want professional results.

That being said make sure you interview as many "professionals" as you can find and do as much research on your own so you're not going into it completely dumb and bind.

Comment

At two of our sites, we purchased and installed Lorex cameras ourselves and they have been nothing but a problem. For our most recent project, we bought and installed a system from Security Camera Warehouse (getscw.com) and they have been fantastic. Tech support has been super helpful, all US based support. Plug it in and it just works.

Comment

Thanks everyone-we replaced the stolen cameras with a slight upgrade. We are looking into expanding the system we have with an updated one and this was all very helpful!

WA State

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• MyStorageOps
                  Reply to StorSmart Tenant Insurance
                  by MyStorageOps
                  A lot has changed in the industry since the original 2013 post. We have been very please with StorSmart. My average penetration rate over all is 68%.

In the last couple of years Bader and StorSmart have essentially merged under the Storable platform. I have just recently brought on a new...
                  Today, 12:16 PM
                • dakselfstorage
                  Reply to Venmo Payment
                  by dakselfstorage
                  It would be nice if the software providers could link the payments....
                  Today, 12:07 PM
                • Amy_ISS
                  Venmo Payment
                  by Amy_ISS
                  A new facility in Montana is using Venmo to accept payments. If you're not familiar with Venmo, it's a mobile-payment service owned by PayPal. What do you think about this?
                  Today, 11:50 AM
                Working...
                X