Announcement

Collapse

New Membership Approvals

Hello! We're thrilled you want to be a part of Self-Storage Talk! Please be patient with us as registration make take longer to process around the holidays. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
See more
See less

Here We Go...!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here We Go...!

Two sites, approximately a week apart, in which the bank called the Operations Manager and said the deposits was short in cash. One of the site managers will file a complaint against the bank.

I plan on video recording as I count the cash and checks, place them in the envelope, then the deposit bag. This takes time! But, if my deposit comes up short, and I'm told the bank has a camera, well I have one too!

Simply have an employee go INSIDE the bank and have a teller verify the cash, etc. at that point. Then there is no question.

I've done this with 3 different businesses over 50 years and never had a single problem with the bank.

Comment

Agreed! Our company contracts with the bank to have the couriers come and pick up the deposits from 6 out of the 7 sites.

Comment

Ugh! They count it while I'm there- no shenanigans except me transposing numbers by accident.
        Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

I'm taking it in whenever possible, only use drive thru if a lobby is closed and i'll never do a night drop. I've had numerous times of people on the other side of the counter trying to do funny business. The one that really stands out is one was ballsy enough to try and make $100 go missing, she was new to that site and didn't know me. One of the regulars came out from the back to see what the commotion was as I was not leaving that counter without it getting figured out. The worker that came out dealt with me regularly and knows I don't play around with deposits. I will always have it correct, money facing all the same directions and all. I make it as easy as possible for them. After the worker told her that I was $100 short she pointed out to the lovely girl I was dealing with that there was part of a $100 sticking out from under her shoe that she could see. I asked the regular to relay the issue to a manager and look in to it. Low and behold that worker was no longer employed I was told as they watched her on camera try to conceal it when they reviewed it. Bankers make mistakes, just recently doing a deposit for the new site in Oregon a banker turned a $2,120 deposit in to $212,000 and it wasn't until I got the receipt slip to put back in my bag and looked at it that it was found. You'd think that big of a deposit on their screen would prompt some type of alert to check over their work.

Comment

Maybe I am just lucky, or maybe it is because I use a locally owned bank. But I use the overnight deposit slot all the time with no issues. I might suggest it is time to find a new bank if you don't trust the people that are working there.

Comment

I do the drive thru and they have a machine close to the window that they put ALL cash deposits in and I can see the count the machine comes up with. Never a problem here.
              "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by Orkocean View Post
                I'm taking it in whenever possible, only use drive thru if a lobby is closed and i'll never do a night drop. I've had numerous times of people on the other side of the counter trying to do funny business. The one that really stands out is one was ballsy enough to try and make $100 go missing, she was new to that site and didn't know me. One of the regulars came out from the back to see what the commotion was as I was not leaving that counter without it getting figured out. The worker that came out dealt with me regularly and knows I don't play around with deposits. I will always have it correct, money facing all the same directions and all. I make it as easy as possible for them. After the worker told her that I was $100 short she pointed out to the lovely girl I was dealing with that there was part of a $100 sticking out from under her shoe that she could see. I asked the regular to relay the issue to a manager and look in to it. Low and behold that worker was no longer employed I was told as they watched her on camera try to conceal it when they reviewed it. Bankers make mistakes, just recently doing a deposit for the new site in Oregon a banker turned a $2,120 deposit in to $212,000 and it wasn't until I got the receipt slip to put back in my bag and looked at it that it was found. You'd think that big of a deposit on their screen would prompt some type of alert to check over their work.
                At the last place I worked, the owner took the deposits to the bank for both locations. If he wasn't available, then the other manager did it - and he always had access to the deposits before bank runs no matter who actually went to the bank. I hated all the extra hands on the money between me and the bank. I completed the deposit. Then another employee transported it to the other location. Then it was in the unlocked safe until a bank run every few days. UGH!!!

One day my deposit turned up $200 short in the cash. The interesting thing was that in our account, it showed deposit was completed correctly. Then it was voided and redone with the $200 less. We didn't just drop the deposit, either. We stood at the counter until we had a receipt. It was clear that it was the teller, but it wasn't visible on their cameras, so we were just out the $200!

After that, I told the owner I was taking my own deposits to the bank, because if it was wrong, then it would clearly be on me! But when 4-5 people have access, there's no accountability. From then on, I photographed all the cash going into the deposit every day, and I watched carefully each and every deposit at the counter! Funny thing is that for the next 3 years until I left there, there was never another discrepancy!
                MamaDuke

Comment

Well if the cash was short, then that's on the teller for not counting it when they took the deposit (I mean, seriously?).

Comment

I take my deposits to the bank myself.
                    I use the drive up and get a receipt for each deposit.
                    It seems as though the poster maybe used a night time drop off box and that was why the bank had to call the OP to inform of the deposit being short?
                    Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X