Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is a reminder that our hours of access are 6 am-10pm. Why are you still here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is a reminder that our hours of access are 6 am-10pm. Why are you still here?

So, me being my nosy self checked the codes from over night and found a tenant had been here at MIDNIGHT! For obvious reasons their code stopped working. I spent an hour and followed them around on camera and sure enough, they came in at about 930 pm and left the building at 1155 ish, in two cars, drive up to the gate and find that their code won't work.
    I send my standard warning email (we don't charge for being here after hours because our tow company handles it) then I go back to the cameras because I wonder WTH they did after they got stuck. You can call for a code to get out but are charged $150, but they ended up sleeping in their cars in the parking lot overnight. I went through to make sure they weren't helping themselves to the campers etc in the parking lot, but nope, seems like they stayed in one car together)
    Eventually tenant emails, "Why are you sending me this? Did something happen?" (up by her unit there are cut off tags and garbage on the floor)
    I groan and lock out her code. I reply that her code was used and describe the couple and their cars.
    A couple of hours later the tenant emails, "I'm sorry! That was my daughter and I never told her the hours."
    I let her know that it was unacceptable and it would not be happening again.
    I go back to the cameras and wonder if the items they're storing aren't stolen-but it's just a suspicion. I check our online court records and find that the daughter has an extensive court record-but suspicions aren't proof so I'll sit on my hands and keep an eye out.
    They know I'm watching now.
    "Carpe the HECK out of this diem."
    WA state

Oh no! Not good. You seem to have all the fun!!!
    MamaDuke

Comment

Originally posted by MamaDuke View Post
      Oh no! Not good. You seem to have all the fun!!!
      ugh, I doubt it. I am just a good complainer..lol.
      WA state

Comment

Or a great detective!
        Amy Campbell
        Editor
        Inside Self-Storage
        [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

So, the mother does not tell her the hours, I guess her being an entitled criminal also means she can't read signs then. The mother also knows her criminal background and still allows her to use codes and keys and get in the unit, another sign that the apple likely doesn't fall too far from the mother tree. I am sick up and fed with all the entitled criminals with a boat load of excuses. Sorry you are having to deal with these two idiots but it is just another day in the life of a self storage manager.
          "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
            So, the mother does not tell her the hours, I guess her being an entitled criminal also means she can't read signs then. The mother also knows her criminal background and still allows her to use codes and keys and get in the unit, another sign that the apple likely doesn't fall too far from the mother tree. I am sick up and fed with all the entitled criminals with a boat load of excuses. Sorry you are having to deal with these two idiots but it is just another day in the life of a self storage manager.
            Right? There are LARGE signs in the elevators too. And 2 people, surely ONE of them would have read the signs? Bueller?
            WA state

Comment

Idiots with a Capital "I". That mom would be on my radar for any reason to boot her.

Comment

Something's definitely fishy here. So neither the daughter and whoever was in the other vehicle had a cell phone to call somebody for help? Thank goodness they didn't mess with the gate or do any other damage to try to get out.

Comment

Originally posted by RMRSS View Post
                  Something's definitely fishy here. So neither the daughter and whoever was in the other vehicle had a cell phone to call somebody for help? Thank goodness they didn't mess with the gate or do any other damage to try to get out.
                  They had a phone-they called the tow company who wanted to charge them $150 to get out (reason # 112 why we have signs everywhere to be off property by 10 pm). Why they didn't call her mom? Probably didn't want to get yelled at.
                  WA state

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinWA View Post

They had a phone-they called the tow company who wanted to charge them $150 to get out (reason # 112 why we have signs everywhere to be off property by 10 pm). Why they didn't call her mom? Probably didn't want to get yelled at.
                    That doesn't make any sense either - how could a tow company get them out from behind a locked gate? A crane? LOL! I can see you're not dealing with the sharpest tools in the shed, that's for sure. Mom must be pretty intimidating if they're willing to spend the night vs. calling her.

Comment

Originally posted by RMRSS View Post

That doesn't make any sense either - how could a tow company get them out from behind a locked gate? A crane? LOL! I can see you're not dealing with the sharpest tools in the shed, that's for sure. Mom must be pretty intimidating if they're willing to spend the night vs. calling her.
                      Lol, I get you-Mom seems pretty serious to me. No, the tow company has exclusive rights here-they have an emergency after hours code to get people out.
                      WA state

Comment

We had the same thing happen here. A tenant gave her son the gate code and we were seeing that he was staying on site until 10pm on a few occasions. We called her and warned her that he couldn't be here past a certain time otherwise we will raise her rent. A few days later, he was there until 3am! We raised her rent by 30% and informed her that they only have access now during office hours... She still pays every month and we haven't had anyone here for the space since.

Comment

Our gate hours are 6am to midnight 7 days a week. A few years I realized that people was taking advantage of the gate loop that automatically opened the gate if you pulled up to it. I then figured out that some were staying after the midnight gate shutdown and they was using that to get out. Needless to say I didn't quite like that so guess what I unhooked it. Now if someone says after midnight they have to call me in order to get out. lol One boy done it about 3 times finally I told him if he did it again that he was going to be sleeping in his car because I wasn't going to let him out. Funny thing is I have 4'x4' sign on my gate that states "Gate Hours 6 am - Midnight"

Comment

Funny thing is I have 4'x4' sign on my gate that states "Gate Hours 6 am - Midnight"[/QUOTE]

We all know that tenant who doesn't seem to be able to read.
                            WA state

Comment

I follow a script when I take the prospective tenant on a golf cart ride to view a unit before rental. One of the things I cover is the gate hours. I say it like this as i point to the entry and exit gates, "You enter over there anytime after 7 am and this is the exit gate and you MUST be off the premises and through that gate by no later than 9 pm, no exceptions". "Understood"? If they balk, I don't even move the cart. I also make them very aware that they are responsible for anyone they give access to the unit and all of the same rules/regulations/policies.

I have warned some that if I have to come out to the facility when someone is inside the gates after 9 pm, it will not be a pretty sight. I have not had any tenant in the gates after 9 pm for at least 4 years now.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X