Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boat/RV 12ft by 14ft Storage Door Problems - Do you have them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat/RV 12ft by 14ft Storage Door Problems - Do you have them?

Hi,

We are hoping to build 9 large RV/Boat units.

On the new units I am hoping to have roll up doors that are 12ft wide by 14ft tall to accommodate large RVs and boats. I do not have the room to add person sized entry doors, so the 12 by 14 will need to be the entry to the unit itself. My door dealer and I looked into wicket doors, but sounds like they are expensive and flimsy.

However my local door dealer has cautioned me that the large doors can be problematic for two reasons:
    1. Doors of this size have a hand chain to help open the door, but the chain can get tangled if the door is lifted or lowered by hand, instead of using the chain.
    2. The springs in the doors will eventually fail and when that happens it is impossible to get the door open again.

We have smaller doors that are 10ft by 12ft, about 16 years old, no hand chains and have never had an issue with them - are we just lucky?

When I called the door manufacturer, they told me they sell these doors everyday without major issues - furthermore I have seen other facilities that have these types of doors so I know what I am trying to do is not impossible.

Are these large doors really a pain in the neck or are they alright?

Thank you

Originally posted by 126whitetail View Post
    Hi,

We are hoping to build 9 large RV/Boat units.

On the new units I am hoping to have roll up doors that are 12ft wide by 14ft tall to accommodate large RVs and boats. I do not have the room to add person sized entry doors, so the 12 by 14 will need to be the entry to the unit itself. My door dealer and I looked into wicket doors, but sounds like they are expensive and flimsy.

However my local door dealer has cautioned me that the large doors can be problematic for two reasons:
    1. Doors of this size have a hand chain to help open the door, but the chain can get tangled if the door is lifted or lowered by hand, instead of using the chain.
    2. The springs in the doors will eventually fail and when that happens it is impossible to get the door open again.

We have smaller doors that are 10ft by 12ft, about 16 years old, no hand chains and have never had an issue with them - are we just lucky?

When I called the door manufacturer, they told me they sell these doors everyday without major issues - furthermore I have seen other facilities that have these types of doors so I know what I am trying to do is not impossible.

Are these large doors really a pain in the neck or are they alright?

Thank you
    They can be, if they don't get maintained. Something that may help is using an garage door opener and have it automated. Less wear and tear by a tenant jerking it around. My first facility had large doors (Janus) and they worked great, maintenance used silicone spray when someone moved out to keep the thing running smoothly.
    "Carpe the HECK out of this diem."
    WA state

Comment

We have 38 of these doors, they are a pain...keep in mind, when used correctly, they work fine, but customers are customers and that is where our issues start. Our door guy has advised us of a few upgrade items (low tec) to solve our biggest issues, but other operators in our area that have learned from our mistakes have installed door operators, they are more expensive, but in the long run less repair issues. Just remember, customers are customers and you will need to show each and every customer how to use the door and then you'll still have issues.
      Thanks!

Comment

We would prefer to have electric operators, but we are already working with a low ROI for this project. And adding a meter pole, conduit would put the final nail in the coffin, so to speak.
        We do have some 10x12 rolling doors (no hand chains) that are about 16 years old that we haven't had issues with yet, but that could be because they are smaller?

Comment

" Something that may help is using an garage door opener and have it automated."

We have a lot of these doors and the electrical automated operation kept breaking so I had them turn it into manual open and close and have not had a problem since. When they were automated, I got a lot of calls that the doors were broken. Some of the automated doors are run by sensors... Folks would stand in front of the sensors as they pushed for the doors to go down. I kid you not. It would then trick the sensors and I was constantly having to fix them. HUGE pain. I am very very happy that they are manual now and the tenants dont seems to mind - just maintain them and make sure to oil them well so they open and close with ease! Saves money to have them manual.
          Good Luck!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X